Audio-Technica ATH-EM7 - A Rich Man's KSC-35?
Oct 8, 2002 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

crymsonsunset

New Head-Fier
Just saw mention of what appears to be a new product from Audio Technica in the latest AudioCubes newsletter.

Check it out:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=308

Looks intriguing to me. Anyone have any more info on these babies?

Here's a pic:

f_audiotechnica_athem7.jpg

Oct 8, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 103
Dang, short cord for remotes too! I just ordered a pair of Sony SL-type earbuds from them. Would've gone for these on looks alone.

Oh my, Magic's posts are rubbing off on me
evil_smiley.gif
(joke)

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 103
Wow, those are lookers. Maybe there is such a thing as chick-magnet 'phones, huh jpelg? Although I guess these look cool more in an industrial, high-tech sense.

Two concerns for me though. It looks like they're closed design. (Relatively) cheap, closed-back and metal don't sound like a winning combination. Also, that short cord dictates using an in-line remote, which on my 570 totally wipes the sound. They are really unique though and if they sound good, I think these could become a cult classic.

Edit: I see they do come with a 1 m extension cord. cool.

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
Also, that short cord dictates using an in-line remote, which on my 570 totally wipes the sound.

The kit includes a case and a 1 meter extension.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 103
There is also another model, which is $10 less, but doesn't look quite as cool. Its also significantly lighter than the relatively heavy 30g weight of this model. It looks like it uses a differenct clip mechanism which saves weight but may also hinder comfort. Overall, I'd say go all out for the top-o-the-line.

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Wow, oh so pretty! Now, how does it sound?
tongue.gif
Rick, you'll be the first.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, andrzejpw. They won't have them in stock to ship until Monday, October 28. I'm really anxious to hear these dudes!

cool.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
Wow, those are lookers. Maybe there is such a thing as chick-magnet 'phones, huh jpelg? Although I guess these look cool more in an industrial, high-tech sense.

Two concerns for me though. It looks like they're closed design. (Relatively) cheap, closed-back and metal don't sound like a winning combination. Also, that short cord dictates using an in-line remote, which on my 570 totally wipes the sound. They are really unique though and if they sound good, I think these could become a cult classic.

Edit: I see they do come with a 1 m extension cord. cool.

Naive question: Why is a closed design necessarily bad?

Oct 8, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 103
OH I SAY!!!

dribble...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back