Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
May 20, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #931 of 1,068
Everyone, my wire broke for the ath-e70 so i had to get a new one. It sounds really good, here's a link Ath-e70 replacement cable.
I got that cable in silver while back to replace the boring black cable my used E70 came with. It looks nice, did not noticeably change the sound, and seems to be durable. However, it has pretty bad cable noise. You really here all of the sounds of a wire, like when a a bridge flexes and the support beams make that wobbly sound haha. It's fine if you're not moving much while listening, but even walking around with it gets annoying. I'm assuming not, but does anyone know how to alleviate this?

May 21, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #932 of 1,068
I got that cable in silver while back to replace the boring black cable my used E70 came with. It looks nice, did not noticeably change the sound, and seems to be durable. However, it has pretty bad cable noise. You really here all of the sounds of a wire, like when a a bridge flexes and the support beams make that wobbly sound haha. It's fine if you're not moving much while listening, but even walking around with it gets annoying. I'm assuming not, but does anyone know how to alleviate this?
I think the one in silver might be a different cable. I don't notice any cable noise in the wire and 90% of the time i only listen to iem on the go. To me the cable i have seems to tighten the treble, however i can't a b because my old wire is broken so not sure. I do believe this cable may be more durable and comfortable imho.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #933 of 1,068
Recently got the LS50iS as my E40 cable broke. LS50 is a warmer sound with more rolled-off highs but has some more mid-bass and lower-mid emphasis. I also find the sealing/comfort not quite as good as the E40.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #934 of 1,068

Have you tried making sure the chin slider is up all the way while you're wearing the earphones?
I don't have the E70 or this cable, but this is one solution I have for cable noise on IEMs.
This doesn't suit everyone's preferences and you might be doing this already, but that's my go-to first step.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #935 of 1,068
Recently got the LS50iS as my E40 cable broke. LS50 is a warmer sound with more rolled-off highs but has some more mid-bass and lower-mid emphasis. I also find the sealing/comfort not quite as good as the E40.

Agree with your observations. Do you notice that the LS50 is also a lot less even in the mids than the E40, but the E40 is more hard-sounding, possibly a bit splashy/shouty with a ring in the upper frequencies?
Just to clarify, I've demoed both a couple of times on several occasions, but am a little torn on whether the LS50 makes a good gift/recommendation. The E40 is a bit big and I'm usually a little unsure if the good sound is worth the risk that it won't fit well or that it'd be too aggressive-sounding. So I'm curious what others think, especially owners of both.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #936 of 1,068
Just purchased the Fiio BTR1(60$) to get the most out of my iPhone7 and Spotify and I was surprise how the E40 seems to have more depth in the soundstage and more punchy bass. This little bluetooth device is a match made in heaven for the E40. It is for now on, my great and easy on-the-go gear. I've changed the cable with one that I found in amazon that costs me like 40$, it is more user friendly and is made of textile and more shorter. This cable makes the E40 more clearer. Also found out that the JVC spiral dots give an open sounds and makes it relatively confortable and isolates ok.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #938 of 1,068
Just purchased the Fiio BTR1(60$) to get the most out of my iPhone7 and Spotify and I was surprise how the E40 seems to have more depth in the soundstage and more punchy bass. This little bluetooth device is a match made in heaven for the E40. It is for now on, my great and easy on-the-go gear. I've changed the cable with one that I found in amazon that costs me like 40$, it is more user friendly and is made of textile and more shorter. This cable makes the E40 more clearer. Also found out that the JVC spiral dots give an open sounds and makes it relatively confortable and isolates ok.
can I ask whether you get an audible background hiss from using the Bluetooth with the E40? I've been on the fence of getting one of those Bluetooth dongle, because my older Nokia one broke (very old, very hiss)

Sep 10, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #939 of 1,068
can I ask whether you get an audible background hiss from using the Bluetooth with the E40? I've been on the fence of getting one of those Bluetooth dongle, because my older Nokia one broke (very old, very hiss)
No noticeable hiss while the track is playing on iPhone. On my MacBook Pro, a small hiss is noticeable on soft tracks. :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #940 of 1,068
I have IM03. I need more details in treble. Will E70 be an upgrade?

I want to know this as well. I've loved my IM03 for a few years now and seen two rounds of upgrades. Is the current gen or next gen worth looking into? Is the quad a significant upgrade?

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #941 of 1,068
I want to know this as well. I've loved my IM03 for a few years now and seen two rounds of upgrades. Is the current gen or next gen worth looking into? Is the quad a significant upgrade?
Just got FiiO FH5 for two weeks. I love it. Sound is more like my ATH-W5000 than IM 03. If you have a chance, try to demo.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #942 of 1,068
Cable clip also could help cable noise,

Fiio Bluetooth adapter is nice~ my BTR3, has nice enough DAC/Amp in it that IMO better than 95% of any smartphone headphone out (if they even still have it)
I'd recommend people to not be that skeptical of wireless anymore and just get it.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #943 of 1,068
I have IM03. I need more details in treble. Will E70 be an upgrade?

Hi @mikroski,

I have both these IEMs & the E 70 was my daily for over 2 years so I know the sound very well.

E 70 has neutral to natural sound depending on source, so if you want something more in HF, again depends on your source but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two in HF overall, there are subtleties but they are there, again source dependant.
The differences are more in the mid and lows.

E 70 is considered mid range pro reference grade, not to derail the thread but I suggest if you want something with a little high level, AAW A3H, via Null Audio rather than AAW direct.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #945 of 1,068
Hi @Love Music,

Honestly depends on your source & gear, E 70 in particular is a monitoring grade IEM, which basically means as natural to the source is as possible with little to no alteration to the source material other than what might be how you hear &/or perceive sound (everyone is different so it is all subjective & personal), what your source gear is, etc ?

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back