Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #992 of 1,068
I really have a lot to say since I put ATH-E50 in my ears.

I don't think that I'm capable of making an in depth review but really want to say something about E50 which has fallen behind E40 and E70 review/comparison folk.

After the treble-monster CK10, and for a short time using of V-shaped AKG comes with Samsung Note 8, E50 can exactly be named as mid-centric iem. This was my first expression when I put these in my ear first and it was a bit 'disappointing'. Still when I put them after a while and press 'play', I feel the same, I will explain why I feel this way. Though this is not ALL of course.

I listen almost every kind of music, mostly trance, jazz and classical. I also like listening pop and acoustic from time to time, and I've tried with almost every genre so I think this would reflect what the characteristic of E50 is - at least for me.

Bass: I've spent 10 years with ATH-CK10 and it was a dual BA iem. E50 is half - single armature, but double the amount of bass! I'm not a bass-head, but really started to wish some more bass than CK10 had as years have passed. But I'm also not fan of uncontrollably bloating bass as some V-shaped dynamic iems have. I can easily say that CK10's bass response was very quick and right, now E50 does the same without losing control and mid-bass 'hump. Beside these, maybe it's not stretching, but a tad punchy when it's given in such way. Really fine. It is mostly enough for anyone who is not a bass-head like me but in some cases you wish you had some more maybe(?). But be sure, wishing more makes you an enthusiast of 'fun iem', so this one is not for you I think.

Mids: As I said above, for the first impression when you come out from another characteristic iem, it makes you feel like 'these mids are really forward'. But as you listen for minutes/hours I think your ears get used to its style and start not to think in this way. Yes, still it's a tad warm, especially when I compare it to analytic and cold mids of CK10 accompanied with airy trebles. But it is really really close to natural and very much detailed. Hence, my disappointment leaves its place to a listening joy. You can easily hear/recognise finger moves on guitar strings and piano, also excellent vocal details in every aspect. Splashes, coming closer or taking her/his head away from mic, stress on words etc. Sooo nice and also so hard to imagine how E70 would be much better on this. Even if I haven't listened to it, I can understand why they call it as a studio monitor king at that price level.

Treble: Not as much as airy and sparkling like CK10, it is there with right amount and detail. Due to its mid-centric character. E50 is way successful at lower treble compared to CK10, and by E50, I realized that my ears got tired of such 'almost sibilant crazy trebles' which gives pure satisfaction while listening to trance and cause 'hiss' sound constantly. Trebles of E50 are also not stretching up high as you understand, however it has a deeper stage than CK10. Again excellent cymbals, female vocals and other details. I really appreciate their success and love this way of Audio Technica.

All in all, this is a complete balanced iem with a tad forward mids, but not the warmest, also not far away from being analytical and cold. This may cause question marks in some folks' head. I'm just trying to make an another description of 'balanced', forgive me :) This is absolutely an unforgiving iem in means of source and record quality. While I'm listening to new releases (still depending on their recording materials) and electronic stuff, it's not a problem but if you are listening to some old records and if you hate hearing 'mistakes'... bye bye happiness :) Actually if the price was not an issue, this would have been my main reason why I avoid buying E70, though now I'm caught by E50. I really didn't expect to meet 'almost a complete studio monitor' at this price level.

If you are looking for some fun iem, stay away from these. But if you really want to listen to music as it comes out (or should I say 'in the way it is given to you'?), you should buy these. Especially jazz, acoustic, classical, instrumental lovers should do!

Apologizes in advance due to lack of information and grammar. I admit that it only reflects my own impressions in my very own and poor world of sound.

Hi @okur,

Not bad review/impression for the E 50, I have the E 70 & was my go to daily for 3 years which was on well deserved rest but has gone back on my weekly rotation.
Not to derail the thread but if I jumped on here earlier, I would have recommended you look at the Mackie MP 240, which I call the lower cost version of the E 70 which is not necessarily a bad thing.
The compromise between the E 70 & the 240 are in the highs as depending how good your hearing is & source, there is some limit to this particular area in the frequency range, almost like it's 'straining' to protect your ears from harm.
Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #993 of 1,068
Thank you for your advices mate. You know what, even E50 is very source depending. So it would cost me a lot more than only an iem, and it will make me upset or empty my pocket which would put me in dilemmas and trouble nowadays.

For about a week I think I got used to E50 and enjoying my time. But something also attracted my attention in a different forum. That's Oriolus MKII. They call it one of the best buys under 1k. I know it doubles the price of E70, but if you have searched about it or gave it a try, can you (or anyone else here) say something in a comparison with E70? Because from what I've read so far, it's also a balanced iem and match up with it in means of its characteristics.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #994 of 1,068
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #997 of 1,068
I know, but they're still limited and charge a prenium for a2dc like this one.

Hi @ljnew,

I suggest null-audio.com, they make decent to good cables, in all connector types for a good price, suggest Arete as potential starting point though as E 70 is a monitoring level IEM, the sound won't change a whole lot, tuning wise but at least the cable will be sturdier & last longer than the stock cable.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #998 of 1,068
This discussion on A2DC connectors is mildly infuriating. If anything, the A2DC cables can be compared to different charging option in smartphones, like Micro-USB, USB-C, etc. It's not like ATH removed the 3.5 mm connector here. Stop cribbing about this, and get some after-market cables if you really need them. Or just use the stock cables. They are not forcing you to spend an extra buck.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,000 of 1,068
Hello,

I bought the E70 about a week ago and there is massive audible difference between silicone and foam tips with these IEMs.

I was getting nasty spikes with silicone tips everywhere with cymbals and SSSHHH vocals. It appears to be the worst around 5kHz range. I'm quite confident I was getting a decent seal. I even ordered the Spiral Dots and they only improved the sound a bit.

Comply foams turned the E70 into probably the best headphones I have ever heard. Distortion guitars have a very nice mid-range bite and there are no spikes or sibilance. I don't know what it is, maybe my ear shape is doing something weird with the silicones?

Comply gets expensive fast however. Are there any good alternatives?

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #1,001 of 1,068
Hello,

I bought the E70 about a week ago and there is massive audible difference between silicone and foam tips with these IEMs.

I was getting nasty spikes with silicone tips everywhere with cymbals and SSSHHH vocals. It appears to be the worst around 5kHz range. I'm quite confident I was getting a decent seal. I even ordered the Spiral Dots and they only improved the sound a bit.

Comply foams turned the E70 into probably the best headphones I have ever heard. Distortion guitars have a very nice mid-range bite and there are no spikes or sibilance. I don't know what it is, maybe my ear shape is doing something weird with the silicones?

Yes. I use hybrid tips from sony and or vmoda. I found they tame the treble and bass.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #1,002 of 1,068
Hello,

Hi @Rakoni,

Crystalline Audio foam tips work too.
One suggestion when using foam tips, doesn't matter what brand, before they get too unsuable, gently wipe with something like baby wipes or wipes with isophyl alcohol (not more than 80 %) & it should last a little while longer.
This also works for silicone tips but not as necessary.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,003 of 1,068
Thanks for your idea mate but it triples the price tag of E50. Actually I can sacrifice a little from treble if I will pay 500 usd less. I know paying "big" for "small" differences though. Only I'm not sure if this is the one.

Any more suggestion?
Actually, why not try to find a used Sony EX1000? If you want Airy treble, that's the STUFF. Adagio V is also quite airy, but it, like most older gen final has an interesting tuning, it's definitely not an all rounder IEM.

Also, I hear Dekoni foam tips is pretty durable

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #1,004 of 1,068
Actually, why not try to find a used Sony EX1000? If you want Airy treble, that's the STUFF. Adagio V is also quite airy, but it, like most older gen final has an interesting tuning, it's definitely not an all rounder IEM.

Also, I hear Dekoni foam tips is pretty durable
It's all about budget. Though as I keep on reading and hanging around, EX1000 seems like it's going to be my 'nirvana'. A real all-rounder in every aspect. In Turkey, almost impossible to find a used one and actually it was risky to buy from abroad. If I could find one for 300$, I would buy it in the blink of an eye.

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,005 of 1,068
It's all about budget. Though as I keep on reading and hanging around, EX1000 seems like it's going to be my 'nirvana'. A real all-rounder in every aspect. In Turkey, almost impossible to find a used one and actually it was risky to buy from abroad. If I could find one for 300$, I would buy it in the blink of an eye.
Why not get its cousin then? the MDR7550 (or EX800ST in Japan) https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-ex800st-Headphones-Inner-japan/dp/B0046ESVVG is the EX1000 with the same exact driver and shell, just a bit less enthusiastic in its tuning so it can be used for more prolonged period of time, (its basically EX1000 but homologated for studio use) whats great about it is~ same quality as EX1000 (just no that nice case) but MUCH, MUCH Cheaper
a good review comparison between the two of them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back