Audio Technica ATH-D40fs Studiophones first impressions
Nov 15, 2002 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nierika

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, they've been on a FedEx truck for 2 hours now and I'm starting to get a bit ancy. I think this is a relatively new model by Audio Technica? The 40fs series comes in 2 flavours: flat (for studio mixing), and "bass enhanced" (for drummers and DJs). I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros for DJing, but it's flat reponse requires me to up the bass on a headphone amplifier to be really useful. I was real close to picking up a pair of Sony V6s but I thought I would give these a shot. Any minute now!!!

nate

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by nierika
OK, they've been on a FedEx truck for 2 hours now and I'm starting to get a bit ancy. I think this is a relatively new model by Audio Technica? The 40fs series comes in 2 flavours: flat (for studio mixing), and "bass enhanced" (for drummers and DJs). I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros for DJing, but it's flat reponse requires me to up the bass on a headphone amplifier to be really useful. I was real close to picking up a pair of Sony V6s but I thought I would give these a shot. Any minute now!!!

nate

You got the the "bass-enhanced" D version of the 40fs, not the "flat" M version.

And as Gluegun said, get rid of the V600 and V900. I looked at the latest (beta) Headroom frequency-response curves, and the V900 suffers from severely overboosted mid-bass and upper-bass response, and weak real treble response. And the high-end sounded superficially "clear" because of all those tinny ringing resonances that will ultimately cause listening fatigue. And they compared the graph of the V900 against those of the Koss UR-30 (which has pretty much the same basic response curve as the V900 except that the bass range is even more overboosted than that of the V900), Sennheiser 457 (whose response curve is also quite similar to the V900), Sennheiser 600 (most "accurate" headphone of the six models compared), Grado RS-1 (somewhat underdamped), and the Sennheiser 570 (a bit bright).

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Hehe, actually I sold the v900s to buy my 280 Pros. I don't think I could get very much for the v600s but I might sell them so I don't have to look at them anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read Magicthyse's DJ headphone review. He's right that the 280 Pros are out of their element as far as DJ use goes. However, my 280 Pros with +12dB @ 100 Hz on my headphone amplifier don't distort until they reach ear-damaging volume. I'd be interested to know which DJ mixer he used in the roundup because most I've used are underpowered.

And I wouldn't criticize the 280 Pro's earcup joints until they start cracking left and right like v700s (good thing they're silver like duct tape!) :p

Eagle_Driver: Yes, I know which version I purchased. I was just pointing out the 2 flavours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by nierika
I don't think I could get very much for the v600s but I might sell them so I don't have to look at them anymore.

Just don't sell the V600s here in the Head-Fi forums; you will get practically nothing for them (or worse, nobody here on Head-Fi will even take those 'phones). Try eBay instead; there will always be suckers there who will pay waaaaay more than what the V600s are really worth to us for them. (I sold the most recent V600 that I had bought for $60, and they cost $99.99 at a typical superstore.)

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Reticuli, yes, I purchased them from B&H for $75.

First impressions...

* Cord is 11' long and straight (which I don't prefer). Also, the connector is 1/4" only so you'll need an adaptor to plug it into a 3.5mm.

* They are built sturdy, and an absolute joy to wear for extended periods of time. The earpads are a little thicker than Sony V6s and the foam covering the drivers is high quality.

* I've burned them in for about 48 hours now. I'm going to wait until they're over 100 hours before I post in depth about the sound. But I can say their sound is VERY accurate and the bass enhancement makes them even better. More to come...

nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back