Audio Technica ATH-CKR7TW vs Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless?
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

truelies

Head-Fier
True wireless earbuds is really a new thing. Just researched seems those two maybe a great choice. Any idea which one is better?

How about a lot of cheap true wireless earbuds from china? Huge amount of those on Amazon.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 22
If you want cheap wireless from china, its a lot easier to pick up some half decent from KZ or Tin Audio and get a TRN BT3 cable for them,

The problem is 99% of bluetooth recivers right now are APT-X LL at best, meaning that the sound quality at best would be 256Kbit AAC.

Some Sony wireless buds have LDAC which provides better quality then APT-X but then you will be stuck with a limited ammout of players that actually sopport it.

if you want the best Integrated package IEM right now with BT its probobly the MA750 wireless from RHA, APT-X, its based on the MA750 which is a very good IEM.

But in my humble opinion, i would just get a good IEM with either 2 pin 0.75mm or MMCX connectors and then use a cable like this
https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...lgo_pvid=af511b29-e364-49a5-b795-fbd6b6a4f06d

and then when the APTX HD cables start coming up, its only a 15-20 buck upgrade to get another one.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 22
Bump!

I've pre ordered the sennheiser momentum true wireless but they're not released until the end of November!

I'm interested in the higher end audio technica - 6 hours battery without the case vs 4 with the sennheiser. Nobody had made a sound comparison yet.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 22
If you want cheap wireless from china, its a lot easier to pick up some half decent from KZ or Tin Audio and get a TRN BT3 cable for them,

The problem is 99% of bluetooth recivers right now are APT-X LL at best, meaning that the sound quality at best would be 256Kbit AAC.

Some Sony wireless buds have LDAC which provides better quality then APT-X but then you will be stuck with a limited ammout of players that actually sopport it.

if you want the best Integrated package IEM right now with BT its probobly the MA750 wireless from RHA, APT-X, its based on the MA750 which is a very good IEM.

But in my humble opinion, i would just get a good IEM with either 2 pin 0.75mm or MMCX connectors and then use a cable like this
https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...lgo_pvid=af511b29-e364-49a5-b795-fbd6b6a4f06d

and then when the APTX HD cables start coming up, its only a 15-20 buck upgrade to get another one.
These are true wireless earbuds. Its honestly a completely different form factor at this point compared to IEMs with a bluetooth cable

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 22
These are true wireless earbuds. Its honestly a completely different form factor at this point compared to IEMs with a bluetooth cable

Yes I already have wired "wireless" earphones. Bit ridiculous how people / manufacturers are allowed to sell these Bluetooth earphones and label them as wireless where they should simply be called Bluetooth earphones....

I just need the highest quality headphones possible for the gym / for when I don't want cables. The momentum true wireless are using a an entirely new 7mm driver design but using some of the same materials from the ie800s!

Another issue is the sync between left and right and sennheiser have said they're using "advanced qualcomn apt-x low latency" to have perfect syncing which is an issue with true wireless headphones.

I'd assume the sennheiser momentum true wireless will perform better than the audio technica in durability, comfort and sound - I'm hoping they're similar to the ie800s. They definitely look sleeker than all of the competition.

Jay birds - I see endless reviews of people complaining about connection issues, and sync between left and right. These two headphones seem to be the only option for high end "true" wireless earphones.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 22
Does 11mm drive better than 7mm one?

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 22
Does 11mm drive better than 7mm one?
A bigger driver does not mean better sound quality. A bigger driver means a more powerful output. The quality of a driver is far more important.

Usually though the larger the driver, the more bass. More bass isn't exactly good - I prefer a more natural signature. Audio technica are usually a little bass heavy.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 22
A review for Sennheiser True Wireless

Moving onto sound, these are like the Nike Air Max of headphones — by no means the cheapest, but about as commercial a product as you can get. They offer a very consumer-friendly sound with emphasized bass and treble, but they’re not the most detailed headphones in the world. If you prefer the latest chart-toppers over finest deathcore classics, you’ll be almost guaranteed a good time—but too many instruments can get lost in the mids.

From this seems very normal sound quality, that's the reason I think maybe similar to Chinese True Wireless on Amazon.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 22
A review for Sennheiser True Wireless

Moving onto sound, these are like the Nike Air Max of headphones — by no means the cheapest, but about as commercial a product as you can get. They offer a very consumer-friendly sound with emphasized bass and treble, but they’re not the most detailed headphones in the world. If you prefer the latest chart-toppers over finest deathcore classics, you’ll be almost guaranteed a good time—but too many instruments can get lost in the mids.

From this seems very normal sound quality, that's the reason I think maybe similar to Chinese True Wireless on Amazon.

That's just one review, not sure where / who it's from. I highly doubt any chinese wireless ones can come close. Not sure how the audio technica compare but we will see proper comparisons soon.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 22
I own a chinese one, the sound is not bad at all, seems the true wireless is a different thing. If so, we don't need to spend $250-$300. This thing is very convenient.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 22
I'm interested with the Audio Technica one, the separate DAC section and 6 hours battery life seal the deal for me, as I think this is unmatched currently. I also like how the design looked like a mini M50. :D I think it released over at Japan this 9th of November and I have a friend who might be able to buy this for me, so hopefully soon. :)

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 22
I'm interested with the Audio Technica one, the separate DAC section and 6 hours battery life seal the deal for me, as I think this is unmatched currently. I also like how the design looked like a mini M50. :D I think it released over at Japan this 9th of November and I have a friend who might be able to buy this for me, so hopefully soon. :)

But the Sennheiser has Bluetooth 5.0, SBC, aptX, AAC...........

And I think they should be the most comfortable. They're also sweat resistant, unlike the audio technica.

I feel as though ordering the audio technica's from another country would make them hard to return if they turn out to be a flop.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 22
But the Sennheiser has Bluetooth 5.0, SBC, aptX, AAC...........

And I think they should be the most comfortable. They're also sweat resistant, unlike the audio technica.

I feel as though ordering the audio technica's from another country would make them hard to return if they turn out to be a flop.

I think codec-wise, they are about equal. The Senn have aptX LL, but that rarely supported by phone. Both have aptX, which is cool. And of course, the Audio Technica is also Bluetooth 5. :wink:

Not sure how good it is comfort-wise, but I don't have issue with sweat, since I don't plan to use it while exercising. They also have a cheaper sport-version for that use.

About return, I know, but this is a kind of product that is usually not available in my market locally. So we usually buy with that risk in mind (and if we don't like it, sell it with some loss).

Hopefully, it won't be a flop. I mean, I also have bad experience with true wireless before (the old poor Samsung IconX), but I just liked how the Audio Technica looked like and the spec is promising.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 22
I think codec-wise, they are about equal. The Senn have aptX LL, but that rarely supported by phone. Both have aptX, which is cool. And of course, the Audio Technica is also Bluetooth 5. :wink:

Not sure how good it is comfort-wise, but I don't have issue with sweat, since I don't plan to use it while exercising. They also have a cheaper sport-version for that use.

About return, I know, but this is a kind of product that is usually not available in my market locally. So we usually buy with that risk in mind (and if we don't like it, sell it with some loss).

Hopefully, it won't be a flop. I mean, I also have bad experience with true wireless before (the old poor Samsung IconX), but I just liked how the Audio Technica looked like and the spec is promising.

Sure, I understand. I didn't realise the audio technica's had bluetooth 5.0. I was also looking at the RHA trueconnect but the sound quality isn't rated that highly, the specs are poor regarding codecs / connectivity and there are issues with the early models. Also, there is no app so no future firmware upgrades etc!
I have pre-ordered the Sennheiser momentum true wireless. Hopefully, they arrive by mid-November! I've been waiting a while!!

I just need the highest quality true wireless in ear buds for the gym / work, and if they're smaller / look more discreet then even better!

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Yeah, I guess the Senn is probably the best currently for workout. :) There is also the Master & Dynamics MW07 for the high-end true wireless, which is stunning to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back