Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS Announcement Thread
Aug 17, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #151 of 303
@Nostoi How does the ATH-AWAS compare to the kennerton rognir? Does the rognir totally outclass the AWAS?
Hi, yes it does, I'm afraid. The Rognir outclasses every closed-back headphone that I've heard or owned, including the ZMF VC and the AWKT. It's technically a significant step-up from these.

However, this is in no sense to discount the AWAS or indeed any other headphone of this class. The AWAS excels in its sweet mid-range, with a very musical timbre that is not fatiguing. The Rognir, by contrast, is not for everyone: it's on the linear side with a fairly revealing/resolving profile. They're not harsh, but but they're certainly not relaxing. I would also say, if you lean toward a warm FR, the Rognir probably isn't for you. It has a very controlled and well extending bass, but it doesn't colour things in the way the AWKT does, which is not a bad thing.

The AWAS is certainly a headphone I think about quite a bit, even though I sold them a while ago. I'm happy to see they seem to gaining some micro-popularity here.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #153 of 303
Looking for amp to drive ATH-AWAS. Currently using A90, which is a little clinical. Considering AT-BHA100, Feliks Echo and Burson Soloist 3x. Anyone paired with any of these amps before? Any thoughts?
I had a short session at Zepp with the AWAS connected to the BHA100 using a balanced connection (4.4mm). The warmth in the sound appeared to be replaced by a much more airy top end. The sound seemed to be more spacious-sounding as well, but I'm not sure if I really liked it since I digged the AWAS for its warm and forward mids.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #154 of 303
I had a short session at Zepp with the AWAS connected to the BHA100 using a balanced connection (4.4mm). The warmth in the sound appeared to be replaced by a much more airy top end. The sound seemed to be more spacious-sounding as well, but I'm not sure if I really liked it since I digged the AWAS for its warm and forward mids.
I tried at Zepp too before buying the AWAS from them. The place was noisy that day. I was only sure about the potential of AWAS then. With BHA100 it sounded kind of thin and I was a bit shocked when I plugged into my D90/A90 stack at home because the tonal balance was so different. But it was musical with BHA100 at Zepp and the shimmers in the highs was beautiful. Just not too sure about the tonal balance as they do not have a usb dac to plug to my phone for bit perfect out. Strange for a shop filled with audio electronics.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #155 of 303
I tried at Zepp too before buying the AWAS from them. The place was noisy that day. I was only sure about the potential of AWAS then. With BHA100 it sounded kind of thin and I was a bit shocked when I plugged into my D90/A90 stack at home because the tonal balance was so different. But it was musical with BHA100 at Zepp and the shimmers in the highs was beautiful. Just not too sure about the tonal balance as they do not have a usb dac to plug to my phone for bit perfect out. Strange for a shop filled with audio electronics.
I'm also not sure if the dac they used was part of the reason the sound became thinner - they used an ifi dac which is connected to my phone via Bluetooth. Does the AWAS sound warm or just dry on your d90/a90 stack? I'm using E30 + jds atom stack which gives a fairly pleasant but slightly clinical sound, and thus am currently looking for an alternative amp that could make it more musical. Not too sure if it might pair well with the Sony ZH1 as well ...

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #156 of 303
I'm also not sure if the dac they used was part of the reason the sound became thinner - they used an ifi dac which is connected to my phone via Bluetooth. Does the AWAS sound warm or just dry on your d90/a90 stack? I'm using E30 + jds atom stack which gives a fairly pleasant but slightly clinical sound, and thus am currently looking for an alternative amp that could make it more musical. Not too sure if it might pair well with the Sony ZH1 as well ...
With D90/A90 stack the tonal balance is fine but the sound is dry and the highs not as sweet and the bass is tighter and harder. Compressed in terms of depth, so losing the 3D effect which I thought I felt with BHA100. Not sure if Zepp will entertain me if I bring along my D90, balanced XLR and usb cables.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #157 of 303
With D90/A90 stack the tonal balance is fine but the sound is dry and the highs not as sweet and the bass is tighter and harder. Compressed in terms of depth, so losing the 3D effect which I thought I felt with BHA100. Not sure if Zepp will entertain me if I bring along my D90, balanced XLR and usb cables.
Hmm maybe I shall give the BHA 100 another try someday.
I think they should be alright with it - last time I was there, they told me I could bring my setup to test with the headphones if I wanted to.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #159 of 303

If I may add to that, our DACs are tuned to sound a touch on the warm and round side, that's our house sound. Having said that, dryness or extensive detailing aren't what we're into :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 10, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #165 of 303
awas.jpg

Happy new owner here too. Makes me sad this headphone doesn't get much attention. The wood cups are beautiful; not as mesmerising as ZMFs but they have an understated elegance. Despite the wood it's not too heavy and comfort is great. The pancake flat pads felt a bit weird at first but once I got used to it it's fine. I love the split headband design AT is now adopting, very comfortable and non-destructive on your hairstyle even after hours of use.

As for the sound I was actually disappointed at first when I demoed it in store, there was nothing about it that gave me a "wow" moment. My brain was tuned completely to my treble cannons ADX5000 & ier-z1r so AWAS sounded boring and less "resolving" in comparison. However a few days later I kept wanting to hear more of it for some reason, and before I knew it I was back at the store making a purchase. :darthsmile:

The sound reminds me a lot of the HD6XX. Lean sub bass, inoffensive treble, focus on mids. However less intimate so there's room to breathe and it actually has a respectable soundstage. Star of the show is definitely female vocals with those beautiful mids in classic audio technica fashion. AT also did a great job in removing that typical hollow sounding closed-back tin can resonance which I despise with a passion. I used to wonder what people meant when they described a headphone sounding "musical", I get it now. It doesn't excel or impress on first listen, but everything just sounds right & balanced. As much as I love the clear airy sound of my ADX5000 it does feel like I'm analysing music through a microscope in comparison, and AWAS is a great compliment to the knife-edge sound I've been listening to. I can listen to these for hours with no fatigue, it's a lovely sofa and a glass of whisky headphone.

I tried the Brainwavz XL round micro suede pads suggested earlier in the thread, the comfort of those pads are out of this world but it's 3cm thick while stock pad is 2cm which does seem to change the sound a little unfortunately. There's a bit more bass due to better seal but I also get a feeling of congestion & hollowness. Would recommend if you value comfort above all, otherwise nah.
Yeah totally agreed. I was this way with the AWKT as well. Personally I still feel the AWAS too gooey for my tastes but no doubt its a very nice relaxing headphone. You can put those on play stuff and just enjoy for hours. Just curious how made that custom cable and does it affect the sound significantly?

@ecc35 you can always bring your dac to Funan AT treehouse and they will entertain you. But yeah the AT DAC is really bad, esp with AT headphones you only get upper mids and not much else. BHA100 imo is transparent mildly warm body sounding. Should match nicely with D90se to give more dynamics and body without getting much in the way of tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back