Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS Announcement Thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #31 of 303
Would I be interested with a direct comparison to the z1r.
Have Been able to find used Z1R for a bit under 1K lately.
Good price for a Z1R.
I directly compare Z1R and AWAS, both are very good to me, I would not say which one is better as
they sound similar, but for sound stage, Z1R wins.
Z1R has a dome like sound field, and AWAS is not as deep.
This could be something to do with its pads, Z1R has deeper pads sit tight on my head.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #32 of 303
So, I I returned my ATH-AWAS today after about 3 weeks with heavy heart. This HP probably had the best timbre and accurate mids I have heard to date. It was open, yet intimate. Lush and never fatiguing. Listening to Fleetwood Macs Rumors, I could swear a sultry young Stevie Nicks was in the room with me until I moved my head slightly up from the desk and they creaked like a rusty gate! I cannot believe they would disrespect the 100 year old Japanese Cherry cups with a buck fifty plastic yoke and a pleather wrapped headband secured by single point tiny screws. EVERYTHING CLICKED AND CREAKED. The cable was also terribly microphonic, not in the rough fabric zippy way, but any light tap to the cable would amplify loudly in the cup. And the earpads were a sweaty mess. I gave them 3 weeks so I ruled out just being a crazy person. Sooo disappointed

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #35 of 303
yeah, mine clicks too, but it doesn't bother too much until one day I will try to find out
if it ca be fixed.
On a $1400 HP it was a deal breaker for me. Loved the sound the build made me angry. Those poor cups!

Thats horrible unacceptable. Thanks for the feedback I guess z7m2 is the top choice now....

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #38 of 303
You should investigate the AP2000ti - extremely solid build and excellent comfort, too. I had the Z7M2, these are a world apart.

Will check it out. I need to stay closed back due to my noisy environment

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #40 of 303
Join the club - wife and child, that's why I'm now devoting myself to closed back except for my beloved DT990 600ohm.

Wait how come I never sa this AP2000ti never before???

Can you highlight couple impressions and where do this headphones head to with sound signature?

He yeaap with kids screaming around definitely need the closed back and 2 more set of pillows hahaha

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #41 of 303
Wait how come I never sa this AP2000ti never before???

Can you highlight couple impressions and where do this headphones head to with sound signature?

He yeaap with kids screaming around definitely need the closed back and 2 more set of pillows hahaha
You've never heard of them because Audio Technica either have no marketing skills or just leave it to "word of mouth" to get the word out. So many of the ATH line seem to go under the radar.

Check out the thread here where there's some feedback - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-technica-ath-ap2000ti-impressions-thread.897731/

In short, they're fairly linear with a slight u-shape. Extremely resolving, with excellent detail retrieval and imaging. Brighter than the T5p 2nd gen, darker than MSR7B, way more balanced and natural than the Sony's. Excellent technical performance but also exceptionally musical. I'm now tempted to get the TOTL AWKT because I feel ATH are nailing it with their current gen (the more v-shaped WP900 are also excellent and good fun)

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #43 of 303
You've never heard of them because Audio Technica either have no marketing skills or just leave it to "word of mouth" to get the word out. So many of the ATH line seem to go under the radar.

Check out the thread here where there's some feedback - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-technica-ath-ap2000ti-impressions-thread.897731/

In short, they're fairly linear with a slight u-shape. Extremely resolving, with excellent detail retrieval and imaging. Brighter than the T5p 2nd gen, darker than MSR7B, way more balanced and natural than the Sony's. Excellent technical performance but also exceptionally musical. I'm now tempted to get the TOTL AWKT because I feel ATH are nailing it with their current gen (the more v-shaped WP900 are also excellent and good fun)

Wow thanks will definitely have investigate on those asap!
I see they have a titanium earcups enclosure does that help for isolation?

Looks a little tight on the ears is it over ear style?

They way you described them sounds like my 100% signature style!
And it comes with 4.4! Is the stock cable good?

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #44 of 303
Wow thanks will definitely have investigate on those asap!
I see they have a titanium earcups enclosure does that help for isolation?

Looks a little tight on the ears is it over ear style?

They way you described them sounds like my 100% signature style!
And it comes with 4.4! Is the stock cable good?
Yes, isolation is solid and leakage is minimal. Over ear, absolutely. The pads are a very nice leather. Comfort is top notch, seriously. Weight distribution is perfect and the headband is excellent - no hot spots. I can take a photo of the inside of the pads if helpful.

I really recommend them. They respond to Eq very well, though I find they don't really need eq adjustment. Scale exceptionally well from DAP to desktop. The stock cable is ok. Sony level. I replaced mine with Plussound and an upgraded 4.4mm from Audio Technica, which was about 170 USD on Amazon. Here - https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...=1&keywords=HDC114A/1.2&qid=1594406645&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back