Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS Announcement Thread
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 303

Arjestin

Head-Fier
Audio-Technica just announced two new sealed over-ear headphones in their lineup, ATH-AWKT and ATH-AWAS. This is the ATH-AWAS:

product_image_0.jpg

product_image_2.jpg

From Audio-Technica Website:
ATH-AWAS uses the Asada Cherry wood material, which is often used in stylish furniture and acoustics. Asada Cherry wood’s texture makes the housings look stunning. Equipped with φ53mm driver exclusively designed for AWAS, Core Mount Technology (PAT.P), Double Air Damping System (D.A.D.S), and diaphragms with a diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating which result in its rich and high-fidelity sound; XLR connector for L/R channel separating sound for best Hi-FI listening experience, and Hi-OFC and A2DC (Audio Design Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphone to ensure a secured connection and stable signal transmission. With a soft touch synthetic leather headband and ear pads, the frame and arms are made of lightweight magnesium to ensure prolonged listening pleasure.

AFAIK, ATH-AWAS is still only available in Japan and the current price is $1,470 USD. It looks like a hybrid between ATH-ADX5000 and ATH-W1000. Gorgeous wood cups with ATH-ADX5000 comfort, but what about the sound? And Will it replace the current ATH-W1000Z model?

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 303
From the early reviews it looks this is a new driver designed for richer sound. This sounds like my cup of tea. I wonder if the pads are swappable? The sheepskin leather on the ATH-AWKT’s might be more preferable than pleather pads on these. If nothing else they would last longer.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 303
I'm looking forward to hearing these. I'm wanting to treat myself to a significant upgrade from my A700X cans, and these look to be just the thing. No more rubber bands mods!

Personally I like that AT doesn't automatically whack leather on everything high end, as it leaves the option open to those with ethical objections. That said, I agree that AT's pleather is a bit too thin (as opposed to the stuff Sennheiser use on their basic Bluetooth cans, that takes about 3 months to wear in, and may never wear out).

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 303
From the early reviews it looks this is a new driver designed for richer sound. This sounds like my cup of tea. I wonder if the pads are swappable? The sheepskin leather on the ATH-AWKT’s might be more preferable than pleather pads on these. If nothing else they would last longer.

ATH-W1000Z and ATH-W5000 earpads are swappable, so I see no reason why ATH-AWAS and ATH-AWKT pads wouldn't be swappable as well. Also, I do not hear any audible difference when swapping ATH-W1000Z and ATH-W5000 pads... but that doesn't mean that there isn't any.

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 303
Mar 24, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 303
It sounds like the ATH-AWAS is less bright and has warmer extended bass than the other flagship.

They started off with warm headphones. And than transition to useless bright signatures. Awfull.

The ATH-AWAS are the clear winners. No need to cut the price and make it plastic and cheap sounding.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 303
It sounds like the ATH-AWAS is less bright and has warmer extended bass than the other flagship. Now if they could make one with the same design but plastic to cut cost and halve the price, they'd have something.

The WP900 is only ~650usd, supposedly on A-T's mellow side (at least relative to AP2000ti) according to a minidisc.au's video.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 303
AWAS looks like my cup of tea.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 303
The WP900 is only ~650usd, supposedly on A-T's mellow side (at least relative to AP2000ti) according to a minidisc.au's video.

I love mine. I got it for my Sony WM1A, running balanced. But it's even better out of my Oppo HA-1. Separate threads exist about the WP900.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 303
Review without mentioning what you pair it with ? ;( I am sad
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Auris Headonia, mentioned in the upper section of the review. :wink:

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 303
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Auris Headonia, mentioned in the upper section of the review. :wink:

"Using both solid-state amplifiers and my reference tube amplifiers in my listening session I streamed music using my Roon library which includes selections from both Tidal and Qobuz. During my audition, listening to various music genres ranging from classical, jazz and popular music, I was able to get a feel for the design.

Closed-back headphones are difficult to get the best soundstage from and Audio-Technica is one of the best at offering quality headphones in closed designs that are comfortable and offer no compromises in musicality.

Using the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge which is a high-resolution solid-state amplifier for headphones that includes a world-class streamer and DAC that can play DSD, MQA, and PCM files up to 24/384 kHz. The ESS reference DAC used in the Mytek is exceptionally transparent and is able to get the most in detail retrieval from various recordings delivering exceptional musicality."

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 303

Users who are viewing this thread

Back