Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 impressions & pics
Mar 27, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 99
oScARSr - no, I did not listen to the AD1000. I didn't get the chance to do so after the shop owner handed me the AD2000.

My reasoning (arguably flawed, I know) was I didn't want to buy the AD1000 and then going back and buying the AD2000.

tom hankins - I can't really comment on the bass differences between the HD650 and AD2000.

I'm not into heavy bass, and prefer more accuracy to the heavy bass thump. I think the A700 delivers a deeper and stronger type of bass than the AD2000, but it feels muddier and less focused.

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 99
Well, it didn't take long for me to conclude the Pro-Ject Head Box is the weak link in my system.

First, I compared the PC rig playing ALAC files (1212m > Head Box > AD2000) with a Sony X505es CD player > Aura CD200 preamp > AD2000.

The CD rig sounded better. The music seemed clearer and fuller, with deeper bass.

I pulled the Aura preamp and Sony CD player from their rack and connected the Aura to the 1212m analog output.

I compared the 1212m output with the Sony CD player through the Aura's headphone out. The Sony CDP had a slightly higher volume, but both seemed the same.

Then I compared the Aura's headphone out with the Head Box, each sourced from the 1212m and then from the Sony CDP. The Head Box sounded thinner and harsher.

Switching between 1212m > Aura and Sony CDP > Head Box had the same result.

I'm not sure about the quality of the headphone out of the Aura preamp. I've had it for over 5 years, but just recently began using it with headphones. I'll be using it for now instead of the Head Box.

A couple weeks ago through the A700 headphones I would have said the Head Box sounded the same as the Aura.

Note: the Aura CD200 preamp has a headphone impedence selector, 32ohm - 600ohm. I used the 32ohm setting.

AD2000HeadBoxAuraX505es.jpg

May 26, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #18 of 99
It's been two months since I began using the ATH-AD2000.

Three weeks ago I acquired the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear amp.
(http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119022)

This amp paired with the AD2000 has provided an excellent listening experience.
The sound is so good I'm becoming dissatisfied with my portable rig, iPod -> SM3 -> UM2.

The AD2000 should be well burned-in by now, and the Lehmann has had extensive burn-in time.
Source is an E-MU 1212m playing Apple Lossless files.
All iTunes sound preferences are unchecked.

It seems not many members have the AD2000 or the Lehmann amp.
I'll try to describe what I'm hearing with some specific pieces of music.

Jazz Variants by O-zone Percussion Group, Track 15 on Manger Musik wie von einem anderen Stern:

Soundstage is very clearly defined. It sounds as if you are standing at the conductor's spot and facing the performers. Each instrument can be picked out easily. They sound very realistic, like a live performance. The drums don't have the same impact as speakers, but the treble instruments (xylophone?) sound better than they would live.

Grandma's Hands by Livingston Taylor, Track 12 on Manger Musik wie von einem anderen Stern:

It sounds as if the singer is standing right in front of you, and the backup singers are standing behind him, two slightly to the left and one to the right. It seems the leftmost backup singer is snapping his fingers; the snaps seem to come from several inches beyond your left ear.

Psycho Killer by Talking Heads, Track 1 on Stop Making Sense:

The audience cheering at the beginning sounds realistic. The cheers extend outward and there is a sense of distance. The bass is powerful and deep without being muddy. The singer's voice stays very clear above the background bass.

Children (Dream Version) by Robert Miles, Track 1 on Dreamland:

In the first 40 seconds, there is a greater three dimensional quality to the sound effects than I've heard before. The sound of birds chirping over the rain/water-like sound is clear. Electronica music sounds especially smooth and pleasing with the AD2000 and Lehmann amp combination.

Magic Words by Coco Lee, Track 13 on Exposed:

I don't think I've ever heard Coco Lee's voice sound so good. On some tracks her voice seems to have a more playful quality, as if she's smiling at you while singing.

PCrig.jpg

May 26, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #19 of 99
beautiful pictures!

i cant believe i completely missed this review when it first came out.

what i find especially intruiging though is that you passed over a k271, ms-2, hd650 and a dt880 for the ad2000.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #20 of 99
Looks like you have yourself a great setup there. Nice work.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
At the headphone shop, I listened to several headphones for more than two hours, including the Alessandro MS-2 and MS-2i, Sennheiser HD650, AKG K271S, Beyerdynamic DT880, and Audio-Technica A700, AD700 and the AD2000. Amps included the Sugden Headmaster, Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear, CEC, and Pro-Ject Head Box.

Wow! I wish there was a store like this in Toronto. Sounds like you had a great time.
wink.gif
Quote:

The sound is so good I'm becoming dissatisfied with my portable rig, iPod -> SM3 -> UM2.

I've been having this same problem myself.
frown.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
what i find especially intruiging though is that you passed over a k271, ms-2, hd650 and a dt880 for the ad2000.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I liked the HD650 and DT880 too. The Senns have an especially smooth and slightly distant sound that is excellent for classical, but they don't sound as good as the AD2000 for many types of music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I wish there was a store like this in Toronto.

Yes, the headphone store in Taipei is great but you have the HeadRoom Tour, meets with Ray Samuels and Singlepower, overnight shipping, returns and exchanges, largest selection of vendors etc.

May 26, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 99
Quote:

Yes, the headphone store in Taipei is great but you have the HeadRoom Tour, meets with Ray Samuels and Singlepower, overnight shipping, returns and exchanges, largest selection of vendors etc.

True, the Detroit meet was fun and Ray is quite the character. I am looking forward to when they hit Windsor on Canada day.
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 99
If I send you my SA5000 for comparison would you send my your AD2000 (after you compare the two) so we could both pen some impressions for the community?
k1000smile.gif

May 26, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 99
Kudos to you for checking out one of our sponsors' amps, the Black Cube! I'd love to hear that baby sometime!

May 26, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #25 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
If I send you my SA5000 for comparison would you send my your AD2000 (after you compare the two) so we could both pen some impressions for the community?
k1000smile.gif

that would be very interesting.

May 27, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #26 of 99
hi,
here is my AD2000 & SA3000.
I will say AD2000 is much more balancing and more mid-range details. I can always take hours and hours ceaselessly listening music on it, never feel tired. the other way round, I cant last around half or maximum a hour on the SA3000, it sometimes makes the ears uncomfortable and finally I feel oh, it is noisy!

IMG6765.jpg

May 27, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #27 of 99
Elephas, it seems that your AD2000 and mine are in two different color?
orphsmile.gif

How comes this difference?

May 27, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #28 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
k1000smile.gif

The probability of not getting the AD2000 back from you is very high.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Kudos to you for checking out one of our sponsors' amps, the Black Cube!

The fact that Lehmann Audio is a Head-Fi sponsor was a factor in the buying decision. This site saved me from the misery of Bose Triports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
Elephas, it seems that your AD2000 and mine are in two different color?
How comes this difference?

They should be the same color, a metallic black that looks dark blue in some lighting conditions.
It's good to see another member with the AD2000.

May 27, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 99
Quote:

The probability of not getting the AD2000 back from you is very high.
smily_headphones1.gif

I promise to return the AD2000 in flawless condition after the 2-week comparison - of course you will have my 'phone in your possession as well for your own comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #30 of 99
NeilPeart,

You do realize you're dealing with a newish member with less than 50 posts?

I'm actually open to the idea, even with the hassle of intl. shipping.

Meanwhile, there's another comparison I can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just couldn't resist the power of Beyerdynamic. Out of the box they sound excellent. I'll let them burn-in and post a comparison in a new thread.

DT880AD2000side.jpg

DT880AD2000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back