Audio-Technica ATH-AD10 review, w/ surprise ending!
Nov 24, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 15
Very nice and thorough review, Greg.......thanks. However, the pics didn't show up.
confused.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 15
ok, that didn't work very well. Let's try the original word file. Warning, this thing is almost 6 meg! Photos and graphs seem to take up a bit of space.

*edit: huge friggin link removed*

Anybody know of a good program to convert word files to pdf? They don't give out distiller anymore.

*edit: I went and got Ghostscript, and after a bit of slapping my laptop around, it works great.*

gerG

Nov 24, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 15
Sorry Joe, not much of a story without the pictures. I am impressed that you read what was there already. I know who I am naming as official proofreader from now on!

gerG

Nov 24, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 15
I read it too, first with no pictures and then I saw the next link and looked at the pictures after. Good objective review, thanks for doing it. I wa sone of the people looking at these, but now I think I'm comfortable not worrying about them anymore and marking them off my list. They don't seem like my kind of phones, hot spots or not.

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 15
By the way, thanks for the graphs--it's always refreshing to see some objective info in a review. Very interesting to see frequency response changes before and after your mod.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 15
anyone want to volunteer a at100, a900, or a9x for comparison purposes? (the ad10's supposedly have the same drivers as the w100's).

i'll be making a lot of modifications to these babies
wink.gif
i won't be satisfied until either they sound great or they die.

grado mods will be up soon
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 15
Very nice work on the review, Greg. Now we wait for the A1000 and W1000 reviews to come!

I wonder if the pads from a W100 or W2002 would fit on the AD10. From the pictures, they might. The padding is not very thick on them, but it doesn't flatten out as easily as these seem to, so it might be worth a try.

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 15
the first phase of the mods is finished. i have yet to start on the pads. i wish i could see some a900 and a9x pads to compare. as it is i need a turkey carving knife to cut the foam correctly. i just may go with a 4" exacto blade.

the sound after mod 1:

bright (no high end roll off). clear. crisp. smooth highs. GREAT soundstage. smooth mids. forward sounding (yeah).

they now sound real nice. once the pads are in they should sound even better. they actually sound smoother than my akg k501's.

i'm starting to feel better.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Toldya!
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually liked the sound with the surrogate pads. Quite the most dramatic tweak that I have heard to date. Something went wrong at AT on those cans. The phrase "design by committee" springs to mind, but that is only my conjecture.

I will update the review file with some additional info this weekend (and fix some of the format mess).

If anybody had trouble with the link, let me know. You need the Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) to open it. Much more efficient way of storing the pics and graphs.

gerG

Nov 30, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 15
by moving the rear of the head pad out you are effectively changing the angle of the angled transducers. sound will therefore be directed against the rear of the ear lobe.

the two modifications I have made so far has alleviated this. there is no longer a change in acoustics when the rear of the units are opened out .5". my unit is now a semi-closed unit, whereby the bass unit is sealed, but the midrange portion is open (albeit with a very thin layer of cotton batting) and the high range portion is completely free. I may have some high frequency mods to try to get the high end smoothed out. I believe the midrange is now sweet sounding. and in the process i have found a few cds that are now unlistenable (not only on the ad10's, but also on the akg k501's and the grado sr80's).

i'm trying to find out from audiocubes if the a9x or a900 basplate can be swapped into the ad10 casing. this will effectively do away with the angled transducer. it will also allow the easy insertion of the a9x pads. the ad10 pads, if you look at the pictures, have a build-up at the bottom to reinforce the pads at the bottom. this serves to, again, angle the angled transducer in a slight upward fashion. there is the slightest change in midrange tonality when the bottom of the pads are pushed in - which suggests transducer movement. this movement increases lower midrange and collapses the soundstage at the same time. correctly engineered pads should do away with this flaw. and it is a design flaw, an engineering flaw. i'd also like to know if the a900 rear driver covering can be swapped in place of the open magnesium cover.

i have sent half a dozen emails to audiocubes and have had zero responses. i have also sent an email to audio technica USA, but i fear that there response will be, "sorry we don't support that model," even though all i want is them to see if the parts can be ordered. this will necessitate a japanese translator, which i feel they should have an ample supply of at ATH-USA.

i'm having doubts as to whether the pads should be .75" or 1". (again, because of the angled transducer).

at it is, I now hear them to be very sweet sounding. i expect the bass to increase once the "correct" pads are either fabricated or installed from original ATH parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back