Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #196 of 539
Quote:
They are really amazing. I wouldn't be getting rid of mine, but for some reason I fell in love with the Grado sound (seems that Grados do that to some people).

It's just too bad AT couldn't make a design with this sound that is a little more portable. I would think they would be extremely popular.

AT does make on-ear headphones, some of which has pretty good reviews here as well. Look them up! :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #197 of 539
Quote:
They are really amazing. I wouldn't be getting rid of mine, but for some reason I fell in love with the Grado sound (seems that Grados do that to some people).

It's just too bad AT couldn't make a design with this sound that is a little more portable. I would think they would be extremely popular.

Sadly, I broke my 325i's. :frowning2: Best headphone sound I ever heard though.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #201 of 539
Is there any all around comparisons for the A900X vs the AD900X?I dont require closed cans but do need a pair that can be worn for extended periods of time.The fact that the AD900x's have a larger soundstage and i am also under the impression that they have more bass is making me lean towards picking up a pair of AD's and not a pair of A900x's

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #203 of 539
I tried the A900X at my local Best Buy Magnolia section and thought they sounded awesome, but they didn't create a very good seal on my head at all. They kept feeling like they wanted to slide down my ears, and the wings didn't do a very good job holding them in place. I'm not sure if this is just a really worn pair from being on display or if it's just not a good fit for my head. These are the first headphones I've tried with the "wings" design so I don't have anything to compare them to. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #205 of 539
Comfort-wise, how does a900x compare with ad900?

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #206 of 539
AD900X uses cloth for the cup padding and not even velours which are scratchy the AD700 for example. The AD900X feel like pillows on your head. Can be worn for days if you have to.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #207 of 539
AD900X uses cloth for the cup padding and not even velours which are scratchy the AD700 for example. The AD900X feel like pillows on your head. Can be worn for days if you have to.

So the open Ad900x feels like pillow. But how are the older open ad900 and closed a900x?

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #208 of 539
Never had the older one so I don't know there but the A900X does have some stiffer pleather pads. They don't bother me much but the the A900X has aluminum cups so they are heavier than the AD900X and with the added thick pleather pads they are not as comfy as the AD900X.. Actually there is nothing that is as comfy as the AD900X.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #209 of 539
Mar 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #210 of 539
I've been listening to these cans for about 3 months now. I was perfectly fine with my Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans but I wanted to keep them permanently in my studio and have another pair to listen to with iPod at night. I found these in Japan while visiting my in-laws, but they're also available from Amazon. I'm not going to give a lengthy review or comparison. First of all, the ATH-M50 is not as flat as some people would have you believe. The lows are definitely boosted. By the way I use a FiiO E17 Alpen headphone amp. The mids are what sold me on the ATH-A900x. I would always have a problem trying to hear a bass guitar play anything higher than a D. Not anymore. The bass is ok but don't think you're going to enjoy these with Miami bass type of stuff. It will definitely hit but it is distorted at times. These cans are more for jazz, pop, classical, bossa nova type of music. I always skip past my hip hop stuff when listening with these. They do grow on you and I'm definitely enjoying them. All parts of music are important but when you're a producer (semi-pro) you need to be able to crisp mids and these cans deliver that. Great balance of highs and lows as well. I don't care for a lot of bass these days. As far as the headphone amplification; I switch between 6 and 12 db often. I can't make up my mind which is better. 12db was the obvious choice with the ATH-M50 but you have some options with the ATH-A900x. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back