Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Apr 24, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #528 of 539
so my headphones have arrived at last! i immediately enjoyed the isolation and the bass, but i'm not seeing the "soundstage" or "forward mids" that people are going crazy about. is it a burn in thing? this phones must have so far a combined 20 hour playback time so far. the sensitivity is AMAZING, i'm picking up little sounds in tracks that i couldn't hear on the v6, but the highs and mids on the v6 are superior so far.

i don't want to troll the forum by asking if the burn in is a real phenomenon or not, i think it is. how long did you guys burn in your a900x cans before they became bloody amazing? it's fairly muffled right now and makes listening to music a bit meh.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #529 of 539
so my headphones have arrived at last! i immediately enjoyed the isolation and the bass, but i'm not seeing the "soundstage" or "forward mids" that people are going crazy about. is it a burn in thing? this phones must have so far a combined 20 hour playback time so far. the sensitivity is AMAZING, i'm picking up little sounds in tracks that i couldn't hear on the v6, but the highs and mids on the v6 are superior so far.

i don't want to troll the forum by asking if the burn in is a real phenomenon or not, i think it is. how long did you guys burn in your a900x cans before they became bloody amazing? it's fairly muffled right now and makes listening to music a bit meh.

100 hours past for me and i can say it gotten a little bit better at mid-high section. But dont expect a big change.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #530 of 539
about wagakki band... this is a frustrating combination for me. the v6 gives me a crisp clear voice with details on the higher instruments readily. it sounds amazing! the a900x gives me a wider perception, so that's probably the soundstage. the dynamic oomph to be felt with the taiko is truly amazing (the taiko vs drums section in their vocalo zanmai vid is AMAZING on the a900x), and the wider perception helps with the placement. but the voice is so terribly muffled x.x . the v6 sounds more fluid with the voice but at times the treble becomes overbearing and harsh. i'm hoping for a treble that's minus the harshness on the a900x. let's see how this goes, i might just leave them at home on any random audio source.

track i referenced just now was nijiiro chouchou

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #532 of 539
Not sure if or when anyone will reply to this, but do you think an amp/DAC combo (E10K most likely) would be a good buy for someone who owns these? Kinda want new headphones but wondering if a cheaper solution is available.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #533 of 539
  Not sure if or when anyone will reply to this, but do you think an amp/DAC combo (E10K most likely) would be a good buy for someone who owns these? Kinda want new headphones but wondering if a cheaper solution is available.

Well i have A900X and E10K. A900X does not require too much power so you will be fine even with smartphones and laptops. But E10K definitely increases the sound quality overall (thanks to its DAC). But if you have something like iphone as your music source or if your pc does not make crackling sounds with headphones, there is no need to get E10K imo.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #535 of 539
My A900X LTD pads are tearing down but due to my circumstance, my replacement option is very limited. Can anyone confirm any of those pads in below list can work with A900X?

My options are:
- AD700X Velour Pads
- Beyerdynamic Velour/Pleather Pads
- Hifiman Pleather Pads

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #536 of 539
The AD700x velour pads didn't work for me on my A900xltd headphones. See my previous post - I lost the bass and treble was too bright as a result.

I recommend pleather type pads.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #537 of 539
The AD700x velour pads didn't work for me on my A900xltd headphones. See my previous post - I lost the bass and treble was too bright as a result.

I recommend pleather type pads.

Thanks for your feedback. So AD700X pads fit with A900xltd but change the sound sign heavily? 

What's your opinion about Beyerdynamic/Hifiman pads? I don't have many options, so as long as it fits with A900xltd and doesn't affect mids, it's OK. In fact, I prefer more bright treble so AD700x pads may be a choice (dont care much about bass).

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #538 of 539
Yes. The AD700x pads fit. The older AD700/900 fit as well and are more comfortable than the AD700x/900x pads.

I have the fostex x00 pads - and they fit too (just). I would recommend these over the velour pads.

I also have W3000/L3000 pleather pads - these do not fit.

Shure pads won't fit either.

Can't comment on the Beywr or Hifiman Pads - as I don't own these cans.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #539 of 539
Every time I got a new pair of headphones I find renewed love for older pairs.
After I got my beloved NightHawks and Owls I became more appreciative of my Sony Z7s and AKG K550s
And now that I got myself a new pair of HD650s I found renewed love for my A900Xs.
Not the most comfortable pair I own, but they sound so easy-going and effortless. A big warm and fluffy sonic cloud. Maybe the best allrounder I own, it plays every genre equally well. At the moment I find them musically more enaging than the HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back