Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Nov 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #512 of 539
I purchased a A900xLTD about two months back.

Very happy with it so far. Don't know how it compares to the regular A900x though.

The LTD edition is lighter and has a slighter higher impedance than the standard a900x, according to the AT website
and also:
Enhanced audio clarity comes from the specially designed 53mm drivers – unique to this headphone, as well as bobbin-wound 6N-OFC voice coils for exceptional low to mid-range sound reproduction.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #513 of 539
Got the A900Xs on sale for $119.  Man, these cans are great.  I wanted a closed back set for work and I definitely made a great choice.

I wanted a wide sound stage (as wide as possible anyway for closed) and this model came up quite a bit.  Some songs feel like sounds are coming from well beyond the cans.

I don't mind the pleather pads, but I really wish they came with replaceable cables.  Even the wings don't bug me.

This has got me interested in the AD900X for home, but my wife would kill me lol

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #514 of 539
Well, although I enjoy the sound quality, these are going back.  There's an audible click/buzz on bass notes in the right side.  I blew it out with compressed air thinking it might move a hair or something out of there, but it still persisted.  I also tried different sources.  Mine has 2015-09 on the box.  Oh well, it's a shame cuz they really do sound good, aside from the clicking/buzzing.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #515 of 539
Sup fellas. First post here. I'm currently using a Sony MDR V6 with Beyer pads and am loving it but honestly I find the mids a bit lacking. In some tracks the guitar sort of disappears. On other tracks the vocals start to become muddy. I'm debating getting this set since it's hard to come by where I live. In Pakistan headphones are seriously overlooked. 

I want to know how different some tracks feel in comparison to my current pair and if it really is worth it. Some tracks I can compare with

Taneda Risa - Wareta Ringo
Wagakki Band - Nijiiro Chouchou
Indigo Jam Unit - Rain Man (or any other track really)
Toshiyuki Omori - Gibbous Moon (Tsukihime OST)

Yes I'm a Japanophile

Wareta Ringo on the stock pads sounded more forward and the guitar riffs on the left and right sides used to be separate. Since changing pads that isn't the case.

Nijiiro Chouchou is amazing but the koto feels a bit lacking in fullness.

Indigo Jam Unit is my new drug and I'm really wanting a huge soundstage to enjoy the bass and percussion. 

Gibbous Moon is my favorite track to use for testing headphones in terms of soundstage as well as coupling good highs with good lows. The V6 does great but it feels... Not muffled but more like it's missing some backbone? 

Anybody can test these tracks out and compare? I know different sound biases and whatnot but it can be a relative guide at least. I'm really thinking of jumping for these before they disappear. 

Thanks!

Blitz9826

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #516 of 539
  Sup fellas. First post here. I'm currently using a Sony MDR V6 with Beyer pads and am loving it but honestly I find the mids a bit lacking. In some tracks the guitar sort of disappears. On other tracks the vocals start to become muddy. I'm debating getting this set since it's hard to come by where I live. In Pakistan headphones are seriously overlooked. 

I want to know how different some tracks feel in comparison to my current pair and if it really is worth it. Some tracks I can compare with

Taneda Risa - Wareta Ringo
Wagakki Band - Nijiiro Chouchou
Indigo Jam Unit - Rain Man (or any other track really)
Toshiyuki Omori - Gibbous Moon (Tsukihime OST)

Yes I'm a Japanophile

Wareta Ringo on the stock pads sounded more forward and the guitar riffs on the left and right sides used to be separate. Since changing pads that isn't the case.

Nijiiro Chouchou is amazing but the koto feels a bit lacking in fullness.

Indigo Jam Unit is my new drug and I'm really wanting a huge soundstage to enjoy the bass and percussion. 

Gibbous Moon is my favorite track to use for testing headphones in terms of soundstage as well as coupling good highs with good lows. The V6 does great but it feels... Not muffled but more like it's missing some backbone? 

Anybody can test these tracks out and compare? I know different sound biases and whatnot but it can be a relative guide at least. I'm really thinking of jumping for these before they disappear. 

Thanks!

Blitz9826

I can't compare them anymore since I no longer own them, but I've heard both headphones and the A900X's are a clear upgrade. Wider soundstage and less sibilant will be the two main differences.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #517 of 539
so i made the jump! got the headphones as cheap as i could. amazon.com already jumped up to 200 usd but i got the amazon.co.jp offers at 17,000 yen. slightly cheaper overall and i have a friend in japan who can test them for me. she already said that both drivers are functional, so i don't have to worry about needing to send back a defective unit (just gonna have to see if i'm not an unfortunate victim of driver mismatching). she'll mail them to a buddy of mine who'll come to tokyo in april, so i have a bit of a wait (BUT THAT MAKES IT SO MUCH MORE WORTH IT!)

now lets see if i can scrounge up some cash for a q701 from the us, it'll be my first open back set. i wonder if my creative e1 will be enough @.@

i'll share my impressions on those very tracks once i get them on my bday (guy's coming on the 19th, one day before my 28th bday, so happy birthday to me, from me, cuz nobody's cared enough for the past five years to get me a present -_-)

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #519 of 539
I'm thinking of getting the ATH-A900X LTD at about 180USD, though I've yet to try for a lower price. I like that from what I've read, it isolates quite well, tight but powerful bass and pristine mids. Sounds perfect to me!

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #520 of 539
Went ahead and got the badboy, looks great except that the earpads are somewhat squished......with a couple of small tears on left pad. I know I can get the replacement pads easily enough from AT service center here, but what would be a good alternative (with real leather/lambskin)?

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #521 of 539
I've tried different velour pads with the A900xltd and do not recommend. It brings forward the mids, but treble is too bright and bass non existent.

Tried the pads that came with the fostex x00 - extended the bass, but I lost the mids - treble was better.

So I went back to the original pads. I think they deliver the best overall result.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #522 of 539
I've tried different velour pads with the A900xltd and do not recommend. It brings forward the mids, but treble is too bright and bass non existent.

Tried the pads that came with the fostex x00 - extended the bass, but I lost the mids - treble was better.

So I went back to the original pads. I think they deliver the best overall result.

Thanks for the feedback, you've just saved me a wad of cash.....'else I'd tried some crazy expensive stuff like the Lawton (had they fit). Looks like I'd be making a trip to the local distributor here to get a pair (or two)

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #523 of 539
Thanks for the feedback, you've just saved me a wad of cash.....'else I'd tried some crazy expensive stuff like the Lawton (had they fit). Looks like I'd be making a trip to the local distributor here to get a pair (or two)

No probs. The A900xltds are great. Treble is clean and sparkly. Bass has good balance with the stock pads. Mids could be a little more forward, but that's just my taste. Isolation is superb - I really mean it. Overall a satisfying headphone. I initially didn't think much of it because I wanted the mids more forward, and almost considered selling it. But I find myself constantly going back to them now for some reason. Maybe it's the clarity they project. Or maybe they are just fun. Dunno. Still trying to pin point it.

I haven't tried the A900x - but if they are anything like these, then damn. Great value closed cans.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #524 of 539
  Well, although I enjoy the sound quality, these are going back.  There's an audible click/buzz on bass notes in the right side.  I blew it out with compressed air thinking it might move a hair or something out of there, but it still persisted.  I also tried different sources.  Mine has 2015-09 on the box.  Oh well, it's a shame cuz they really do sound good, aside from the clicking/buzzing.

That's too bad.  Could it be your source?  Buydig has been pulling out the sales more frequently than usual.  Such a shame you received a lemon.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #525 of 539
  That's too bad.  Could it be your source?  Buydig has been pulling out the sales more frequently than usual.  Such a shame you received a lemon.

Nah, wasn't my source, was definitely the right cup itself.  Oh well, they looked ridiculous on me at work anyway lol. Replaced them with the Mono 8323s, then those got supplanted by the VModa M100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back