Audio-Technica ATH-A700 ?
Mar 18, 2004 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thrawn

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a new set of phones. I was thinking about the A700's or possible the A900's.

Currently I have a pair of Grado 60's, and a Pair of AKG 301's. I like the bass of the Grado's but I'm not thrilled with the comfort. I really like the sound of the 301's but I would like a touch more bass. I'm not a huge bass guy, but to me the 301's are a little thin. However I can't knock them as I have had them for a few years, and the are bar none, the most robust phone in build quality I have seen. And I really like the fit, of the full size

I would like to drive these without an amp, through a sound card and a Nomad Zen.

If you have an recommendations for an other phones I would be open to suggestions, especially AKG's as I stated I like the 301's.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 10
You aren't going to get much info on the a700 here. This topic comes around every couple of weeks or so. Most people tend to buy either the A500 or the A900, the A700 tends to get ignored. Also, many have heard one or the other, but no one has done a good side by side comparison of the Ax00 series phones.

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 10
If you are on a budget, go for the A500, you will be happy.. $99

If you have the money to spare, go with the A900, you will be just as happy if not happier. $199

If you have even more money to spend, go for the Audio-Technica ATH-A1000 for $359..

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the different models, but I believe that AT phones get better with the price from what I have read. (woodies..etc)

Its also very psychological in my opinion. Do whatever your wallet is comfortable with!
biggrin.gif

Edit: By the way, you will be more than fine with any of the AT phones unamped..

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
I read about that..

I see that the design is a little different than the othe Axx series. It looks more like a W100 W1000 W2002... etc

Mar 19, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrawn
Since the search isn't up. People have had good things to say about the 900's?

They are commonly referred to as a "baby CD3000," offering great comfort and excellent sound for their price level, not to mention looking pretty darned cool IMO. Their only real weakness is a slightly honky midrange that seemed a bit uneven to me. They are certainly in the top class of closed cans below the CD3000, and have the best soundstage of all the closed cans I've tried (other than the CD3000). They also have more bass and impact than say a Senn HD280 or an AKG K271S, though those cans have their own advantages.

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 10
The CD3000 actually isolates a little bit, but only the higher frequencies, e.g. I cannot hear the high-req buzz emitted by TV's while wearing them. The CD3000 also blocks a decent amount of my computer's noise, and since it is pretty quiet to begin with, the sound doesn't factor in to my listening. I do think the A900 I tried isolated a bit more that the CD3000, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back