Audio-Technica ATH-A700 for office?
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rebe

New Head-Fier
I'm about to purchase these for use at the office (cubicles, people 10+ feet away). I really wanted to get the open version AD700, but I'm afraid of annoying people with sound leakage. Is this a good decision?

Requirements:
--Budget up to $150
--Music: alternative, electronic, world
--Driven by iPod, iPhone, Macbook Pro, no amp
--Use: mostly at office, occasionally at library if they're portable enough (if not, I'll get something smaller)
--Considering closed over open out of fear of sound leakage, not the need to drown out outside noise
--Comfort highest priority, sound quality second

I can get the A700 for $120, the AD700 for $100. Again, I want the AD700, but fear the leakage.

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 15
Not suitable, IMO. Too open, and they will bother other people sitting around you. My boss uses Senn HD555 in a similar situation, and it is plainly audible. His Grado SR-80 are nearly as bad.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 15
Which ones aren't suitable? The A700, the closed model, or the AD700 or Denon 1001?

I thought that with the A700 being closed and all they would certainly be OK for this use. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 15
A700 for office, AD700 for home. A700 Leather Pads, AD700 Velour Pads= More Comfortable IMO.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 15
Going to agree with Cetoole on the AD700's being a bad idea. They're just too open.

I have A700's and use them pretty frequently in the quieter parts of my university's library, not turned up all the way mind you, since I still need to get work done, but at a volume that I can listen and work together. They can go louder than what I normally listen at and still contain the sound extremely well. Obviously, it's not quite on par with IEMs (which I also use, but for long term study sessions, the A700s are way more comfortable and thus enjoyable).

I'd also second the comment on the Denons if you need something portable, but for just sitting and listening for 2+ hours, go for the A700's.

But as always, if you can try either before you buy, there's a huge plus in that.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 15
Equation RP21?

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 15
Would anyone like to compare the A700 to an iem or headphone of theirs that is less than $150? I was looking at the A700 too for portable use and they seem like a good buy...

Perhaps if some q-JAYS would do better?

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 15
IEMs are out because I just can't stand to have those things in my ears for long periods of time. I want to be able to sit at my desk for several hours at a time, which is one of the reasons why the AD-700's velour pads and open (breathable) design appealed to me. But the leakage looks like they're unfortunately out of the question.

Are there any other closed headphones with velour pads/high comfort in this price range that I should consider?

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 15
The A700's are a good buy IMO. Good quality, certainly listenable for long periods and minimal sound leakage. I just demo'ed these and thought they were pretty great for the money.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would anyone like to compare the A700 to an iem or headphone of theirs that is less than $150? I was looking at the A700 too for portable use and they seem like a good buy...

Perhaps if some q-JAYS would do better?

I have the ATH-AD900s and the Shure SE210s. The former are leaps and bounds better than the latter. Price difference between them isn't excessively large. Not nearly as large as the difference in sound quality. The Shures are nice. Very nice, in fact. But they are simply no match at all for my real cans. Can't say anything about the A700s, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back