Audio-Technica ATH-A700 + Creative X-fi usb sound card
Jul 25, 2008 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PPP

New Head-Fier
I have recently purchased Audio-Technica ATH-A700 (thanks to the posters of this forum) and I am using them with my laptop. Unfortunately, the build in sound card is not up for the challenge. So I am thinking about getting Creative Sound blaster x-fi external usb audio card. What do you guys think? Is there a better solution to my problem?

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 10
You could try installing an ASIO plugin such as ASIO4all or the Windows Media Player ASIO plugin. That might bring a slight improvement, use it with a CMOY for a volume control.

To be honest I've had good results with the Creative MP3+ usb box. Its only stereo but gives phono outs and optical in and out too. Sound quality is a big step up and they can be found on Ebay for very little.

The 24bit box can be found for very little extra. Just a thought.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 10
i have the x-fi xmod usb thingy. it works well enough. i got it for my laptop as well. another choice is a SIIG soundwave. clean decent sound. strong also. works as plug and play or u can install the c-media driver and get an eq and eax support

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 10
I have a Creative X-Fi USB sound card. I bought it after the sound card died on my Powerbook G4 1.67. This laptop had/has probably the best sound on any Apple computer i've used.

The X-Fi sounded fairly awful in comparison. The Xi-Fi thing just EQed it a bit. It looked like this.
4404d1217432382-creative-x-fi-x-mod-technology-sound-card-creative-x-fi-x-mod-technology-sound-card.jpg

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently purchased Audio-Technica ATH-A700 (thanks to the posters of this forum) and I am using them with my laptop. Unfortunately, the build in sound card is not up for the challenge. So I am thinking about getting Creative Sound blaster x-fi external usb audio card. What do you guys think? Is there a better solution to my problem?

I do not know anything about the Creative Labs USB sound card.
But check around, companies like turtlebeach.com offer USB sound cards.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 10
IMO your best bet would be to get a dedicated DAC/AMP. I'm running off a laptop right now as well, and I'm using the HOTUSB1 which is an amazing little piece of hardware that you can get for only about $60USD. It's one downside is that it doesn't have a built in volume control, seeing as how you're on a laptop it should have a hardware volume control you can use. It is vastly superior to my onboard audio and it drives my ATH M50's great. This Thread will tell you all about the HOTUSB1 as well as Dave's other products, and to top it off he provides the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 10
There's a lot of good cheap options around, go ask the Portable Headphone Amps forums. I'll suggest the new ibasso D10. But don't expect a massive improvement from your onboard sound; the A700 are by nature not that good a pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back