Audio-Technica ATH-A500 with PC?
Jul 8, 2004 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deviant03

I had a couple of questions on headphones for PC use.

Would the Audio-Technica ATH-A500's work well in a PC configuration meaning to its full potential or would it be overkill? Sound will be off a Asus A7N8X NForce2 Deluxe mobo with Soundstorm. Has anyone ordered from audiocubes before, how long would they take to ship?

Any other models out there around $100-$150 you can recommend? I would like a more "foward" sounding pair of headphones with nice midrange and bass (because the only time I would use headphones is when I want to blast music without disturbing others). No Grados plz, had the SR-125 and they uncomfortable to me after extended use.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 8
I think an A500 would be a good midrange can for use with a PC. I can't comment on your specific sound card, but it should be fine, and the headphones should be driven with sufficient power with reasonable quality. Amp upgrades and even sound card upgrades probably won't make a heck of a lot of difference with the A500, so you shouldn't be tempted into spending loads of cash to make it sound better - which is a good thing in this money draining hobby.

Short answer - A500s are a good choice.

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 8
I've cranked mine directly from my onboard C-Media chip and they sound great with it (the chip is crap, but hey). I usually hook-up through my NX10, but they sound just fine from the analog output.

What I mean to say is, your card is probably better (the built in) and so they'll be great
biggrin.gif
have fun, ...I'm selling mine btw...

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 8
For reference the soundstorm is reputed to be the most kick-arse onboard solution out. Light years ahead of the legacy creative stuff thats for sure. Good enough to justify those headphones I'd say. No doubt a better source will reward you with better sound than the soundstorm, but thats not entirely the point.

Do eeet!

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
onboard soundforce for reference ?
A500 is a good choice for general PC audio, but i still recommend at least a soundcard instead of using onboard audio.

Apologies - a manner of speech. Unfotunate in the case of Hi-fi. "For reference" - as in used to establish a fact.

If possible try a soundstorm setup - there are some better sources out there, but it is very very good considering its onboard.

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 8
considering its "free"... well sort of.. you still have to pay for the motherboard, hehe... it's a good value. nForce 2 mobo is a great mobo...
now im talking out of the subject...

but audio wise, if you are not so fussy, its enough for general use already...
make sure youre not buying some sort of high end headphones to go with it, hehe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back