Audio Technica AT-PHA55BT: BT headphone amplifier (LDAC)

Do you consider using LDAC (choose one)?

• No, I prefer wired connection for my portable audio gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my SBC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my AAC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptX bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptXHD bluetooth gear.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC earphones.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC receiver.

• I may consider using BT only if much better LDAC products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better aptx HD products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better codecs become available. LDAC is not enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

myusernameislove

100+ Head-Fier
Introduction (with some additional information about this product /specs, review/ and about other ldac products).

It is BT4.2 LDAC/AAC/Aptx receiver based on ES9118 SABRE HiFi SoC with an impedance switch, that is currently available in Japan only, but some units are available online.

Learn about LDAC's compression algorithm here. It is an intelligently operated variable bitrate lossy BT codec that is supposed to transfer CD quality audio (16bit 44.1kHz) without a data loss under optimal signal strength conditions when run in Quality priority mode. It is computationally demanding, as it analyzes audio in advance during playback to apply optimal compression settings variably for optimal wireless data transfer, and in combination with DSEE HX software upscaler Sony claims, that it can successfully restore some of the data, that were cut out from HiRes audio sources (upto 24bit 96kHz).

9936689_l.jpg

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 72
for 140 USD on amazon.co.JP link. This seems to be ultimate solution to portable DAC-AMPs. I wish it had BT 5 and 2.5mm balanced output. It is really tempting though.

The Radsone Earstudio seems to be worthy competition. Looking forward to comparisons.

Note: I'm pairing with my Samsung S7, so I am mainly interested in APTX at this point (and maybe APTXHD at some point).

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 72
AFAIK The Radsone Earstudio is not available, and no one knows definitely when it will be accessible.

No need to cloud the truth with.facts lol.

You are correct. Some people have it, but I'm not sure when it will be ready for the masses.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 72
Not sure if Bluetooth standard Ver.4.2 mentioned in specs means EDR (Enhanced data rate). It may be needed for Quality priority mode.

I should have it next weekend, so I will confirm on that. I will compare it with direct output from my Xperia phone and with Chord Mojo as well. I may also compare it briefly with cheap Aptx HD receiver (Inateck BR1006) and with Aptx receiver Samsung Level Link. I expect PHA55BT to outperform all of these except Mojo of course.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 72
Mine is in transit from Japan to the UK, on a plane as we speak.
I'll give you guys my honest review when it gets here.
I spoke to radsone but it looks like the ear studio won't be available in the UK due to no CE certification.
I might ask a friend of mine to order one on Amazon when it comes available in the US depending on how the audio technika perfoms.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 72
There are 2 potential weak spots that I registered in japanese user reviews. 1st one mentioned connection interuptions in Quality priority mode. 2nd one wrote something about sound skipping issue that is apparent in low listening volumes and with low volumes at the end of songs. Otherwise japanese guys seem to be happy with the sound quality.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 72
Mine is in transit from Japan to the UK, on a plane as we speak.
I'll give you guys my honest review when it gets here.
I spoke to radsone but it looks like the ear studio won't be available in the UK due to no CE certification.
I might ask a friend of mine to order one on Amazon when it comes available in the US depending on how the audio technika perfoms.

I look forward to your review. I am wondering how much you have paid for it

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 72
has anyone purchase this item? is it good? the sound quality and if the connection is flawless? i would like to use it with my NW-ZX100 dap and Sony Xperia XZs phone, 3.5mm is great for my XBA-40, XBA-30 and full size AKG K551, it's amazing that sony ignore this ldac bluetooth reciever, their current equivalent SBH56 only support bluetooth 4.2, no ldac or bluetooth 5.0 or aptx hd, but there again it's quite cheap at US$100

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 72
it's amazing that sony ignore this ldac bluetooth reciever, their current equivalent SBH56 only support bluetooth 4.2, no ldac or bluetooth 5.0 or aptx hd, but there again it's quite cheap at US$100

Fwiw, I think the Radsone Earstudio supports all of that for $80. It hasn't quite been released yet, but initial reviews are quite favorable.

Edit: not ldac. But also 14 hour playback, and balanced.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 72
Fwiw, I think the Radsone Earstudio supports all of that for $80. It hasn't quite been released yet, but initial reviews are quite favorable.

Edit: not ldac. But also 14 hour playback, and balanced.

Well, not exactly.
Radsone do not support LDAC.
There is still a huge difference between LDAC and APTX-HD.
Make sure you don't confuse the two :wink:

SNAP....just saw your edit :D

For me LDAC is still one of the main reasons for not getting the Radsone, plus the fact that we can't get it in the UK :D

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 72
Well, not exactly.
Radsone do not support LDAC.
There is still a huge difference between LDAC and APTX-HD.
Make sure you don't confuse the two :wink:

Yeah, as per the edit that you quoted, I realized that.

I don't know much about ldac, as I doubt my s7 will ever support it (or aptxhd for that matter), but I'm going to find out more about it for my own edification :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 72
Yeah, as per the edit that you quoted, I realized that.

I don't know much about ldac, as I doubt my s7 will ever support it (or aptxhd for that matter), but I'm going to find out more about it for my own edification :)

Yeah, sorry, didn't see that edit till later...
I would still love to get an ear-studio as I thin kyou get plenty bang for your bucks there, plus I love the fact you can tinker with it firmware wise and app-wise.
Might still get one later on if I don't like the audio technika, although I think once I get used to playing my FLAC files over LDAC, it'll be hard to go to aptx-hd.

@myusernameislove When are you getting yours?
Mine has just been released from customs and is on it's way to the depot.
Need to pay customs charge so I'll probably won't have it in hand till mid next week....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back