Audio Technica AT-PHA30i as a LOD
Sep 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

b0klau

Head-Fier
Im new to head-fi so bare with the newbie. Sorry if there's already a thread on this. my friend came over with his ibasso d4. so we got down to business listening to each other's setups and experimenting with different cables. So we finally decided to try using the at-pha30i portable amp from AT as a LOD. We used a regular old run of the mill 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, and plugged it into the input on the d4. then we took the other end of the cable and plugged that into the headphone jack of the atpha30i and then hooked it up to the ipod. sure enough it works. you've got a glorified LOD with inline remote. Correct me if im wrong but im guessing it serves the same purpose as an LOD. I'm not good at describing sound so i wont get into that. If anyone has an atpha30i, i urge them to try it with another amp and see how the sq is. thanks
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 2
well, you're amplifying the signal twice this way. it would be more ideal to just use a regular LOD to the ibasso. theoretically, it wouldn't sound as good as just using the ibasso, ostensibly, the audio technica amp isn't as good as the ibasso. also, a good amp is designed with the idea that it will be amplifying an unamped signal. so, really what it's doing is adding another link in the chain that isn't as good as the other links in the chain. in a way, this is kind of like amping from the ipod's headphone jack, except that the AT amp is better than the ipod's internal amp...but, if it sounds good to you then rock on B).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back