Audio Technica AD700 all over ePay right now
Mar 22, 2006 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

billinkansas

500+ Head-Fier
There are a bunch of little termite sellers on ePay dumping the AD700s for cheap, I've seen as low as $106. They are presented as new in box.

I've always wanted to have an AD series phone just for fun to see what they're all about. There is a review on Headphonics that compares them to the HD555s. The reviewer makes a case for them blowing away both the 555's and 595's. I had the 555's and was somewhat disappointed in them, and I generally agree with the reviewers comments on them.

The juicy bait has been presented and I'm biting.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 6
never heard of the ad700, but just wondering...what were you disappointed about the 555? too boring?
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
never heard of the ad700, but just wondering...what were you disappointed about the 555? too boring?
confused.gif

I liked the 555's ok, nice upper bass and mids generally, but they had no low bass and a weak top end too. I could pump deep organ tones to them with an EQ and still get nothing below about 40hz or so. I did find them nice for old vinyl because they masked a lot of the surface noise. After I bought my DT880's, the 555's sat in their box. I took them out for a spin a few times and each time I put them right back - eventually sold them. DT880's sounded so fresh and wide to me then. I sold those recently too - still liked them ok, but I found myself listening to the 650's more and more and the 880's less.

The AT AD700's are in the open air AD series, seem to have been pretty well received, sometimes even raved about as a good deal at $200. They aren't TOTL, but I hope they are respectable enough to give me an idea of what I might expect from AT cans. If they really impress me, I'll go for the AD2000's and do a "clash of the Titans" with the 650's for all to read.

I just hope my $112 specials don't turn out to be fake!

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 6
I bought them at Redorbit shopping for $94.99. I then returned(since they lack in the low end) them for the PRO700's. The PRO700's kick their ass by the way.

I don't recommend the AD700's if you want any punch whatsoever. I do recommend redorbit.com. They have the lowest price but also handled my exchange very well. They sent out the PRO's even before they received the AD's back.

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
I liked the 555's ok, nice upper bass and mids generally, but they had no low bass and a weak top end too. I could pump deep organ tones to them with an EQ and still get nothing below about 40hz or so. I did find them nice for old vinyl because they masked a lot of the surface noise. After I bought my DT880's, the 555's sat in their box. I took them out for a spin a few times and each time I put them right back - eventually sold them. DT880's sounded so fresh and wide to me then. I sold those recently too - still liked them ok, but I found myself listening to the 650's more and more and the 880's less.

The AT AD700's are in the open air AD series, seem to have been pretty well received, sometimes even raved about as a good deal at $200. They aren't TOTL, but I hope they are respectable enough to give me an idea of what I might expect from AT cans. If they really impress me, I'll go for the AD2000's and do a "clash of the Titans" with the 650's for all to read.

I just hope my $112 specials don't turn out to be fake!

I like this, We must compare these giants side by side. I am also considering to buy senn... brand just to check how superior they are against AT's.

In my openion Audio technica is just suffering like AMD against Intel. Even AMD's are best bang of the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back