Audio-Technica AD500 $31 (Price mistake?)
Jul 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Epik

New Head-Fier
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD500-Open-Air-Dynamic-3D-Headphone/16553065?dest=9999999997&sourceid=02408895821794308925&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

I came to these forums for advice on gaming headphones a few years back and most people recommended the AD700s and HD555s. Well, I got both of them and the AD500s as well from Amazon and stuck with the AD500s because it was more comfortable than the HD555 and more bass than the AD700 while feeling not quite as airy in sound signature.

Not sure if this is a price mistake but in my opinion they are quality for this price for sure.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 33
MUST BUY!!!

Really, I've seen them go for under $40, so $30 would be a good grab.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 33

Quote:

Ah, I'm sorry I didn't know they ever got that low before. Still, not too shabby :)

Well, they are a good buy if you want them only for gaming and if your into a little modding. You can remove some tape and dynamat the driver in order to get better sound.

I'm kinda on the fence if I want them or not at the moment. I can return them to walmart if I don't like them without a restocking fee...

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 33
Heya,

Quite a few people nabbed them at around $30. If you need headphones, go for it. Reviews don't really show them being all that great. For someone on an absolute budget, I suppose they're gonna work for gaming better than ear buds.

I'm actually quite interested in them for $30. Just for the tweaking and modding aspect of seeing what they can be made to do for just $30. I'm curious to know if there's a driver difference between the other models in the line and such details like that. I have to work, but I will start investigating.

I picked them up. Shipping is $2 haha. I'll check them out, review them, and then either keep them just for fun or throw them away as a freebie to someone who is in need (or also wants to review).

Very best,

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
Heya,

Quite a few people nabbed them at around $30. If you need headphones, go for it. Reviews don't really show them being all that great. For someone on an absolute budget, I suppose they're gonna work for gaming better than ear buds.

I'm actually quite interested in them for $30. Just for the tweaking and modding aspect of seeing what they can be made to do for just $30. I'm curious to know if there's a driver difference between the other models in the line and such details like that. I have to work, but I will start investigating.

Very best,

I just ordered them because of:

Walmart has best return policy. 90 days with receipt no matter what. So with free shipping to store, next week I can pick them up

The people who listen to music, mostly rock, don't like them. Classical and jazz are best.

Mods will increase sound and soundstage with removing some tape and felt and a little dynamat or blutak.

$33.34 and 7/18 I get them. Not bad since I can return them at any moment without a restocking fee.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
Heya,

Me too, $2 shipping. Gonna review them. Then either keep for fun or give to someone else to review as a freebie.

Very best,

You review them, I'll post later about the mods I applied.

I mean, $30 and my skill with modding, I can turn them into monsters.

You know what was another good deal I found?:
http://www.amazon.com/Kanen-KM-740-Stereo-Headphones-Earphones/dp/B004XZZHF6

I ordered them, here tuesday and I'm thinking after seeing their sound, I might mod them. But, $8, I pulled the tirgger pretty fast. Kanen is known here, but not too well. I'm going to see what they can do. Either way I can use it as parts. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
Sold out :\

holy, good thing I was quick

Quote:
How are these compared to ATH-m50 or somethinng similar?

M50 vs Ad700 = less bass, more soundstage on the 700.

Ad700 vs ad500 = more bass, more soundstage on the 700.

Modding adds bass and increases soundstage. But they don't share drivers.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
holy, good thing I was quick

M50 vs Ad700 = less bass, more soundstage on the 700.

Ad700 vs ad500 = more bass, more soundstage on the 700.

Modding adds bass and increases soundstage. But they don't share drivers.

Ok. Thanks. I love live music(rock, progressive etc)  more than bass. So these should sound good. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:

Ok. Thanks. I love live music(rock, progressive etc)  more than bass. So these should sound good. 

Well for music, you should pass. Better for gaming

Look at Shure SRH-240, Sony MDR-V6 for budget cans.

Either way, they are sold out. Not worth over $40 to me.

REVELATION:

Add T50RP drivers
into
ATH-AD500 body.

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 33
Not bad considering the original list price of 169. Never heard these, but it sure does look better than my AD700. Me no like purple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back