Audio technica A900 vs. Beyerdynamic DT-770(80)
Mar 5, 2006 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xstephanx

Head-Fier
Well im getting new headphones soon, and Im torn between these two.

my other headphones are blu-tack modded MDR-v6s, and im just looking for a better headphone with smoother highs, fuller mids and maybe a touch more bass extension than the v6s.

the v6s were also tough meaning i could throw them in my bag for portable use, and didnt have to worry about them getting damaged. The DT-770 looks really sturdy, but i dont know about the a900.

I dont really much care what i look like in public as long as it sounds good.
Music:Metal, ska, punk, classic rock, jazz that kinda stuff

so input your opinions/experiences on these cans please!

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Well there's no telling which sound you'll like better. Is there a guitar center near you? You can hear the DT770 there.

As for durability, no question: The DT770 destroys the A900. The A900 has great cans, no question (metal) but the wing system and head support structure is not NEARLY as strong as the 770.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 10
If you want full mids i don't think that the A900 is for you as they are a bit recessed in the mids. I think the same goes for the DT770 (these I have not heard but I'm just sayng what I have read on this forum).

My PortaPros have way more mids than my A900LTD. It seems like the AKG K240S sound like the portas only better so you might want to check up on those.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 10
A900s have more obvious mids than the 770s, less bass, but in my opinion a more balanced sound. They are overall less fatiguing as well.

From my experiences I like the 900s more and would sell off my 770s if they were selling for a better price now a days.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 10
well i usually like a bit recessed mids, but the v6 is a bit too recessed for me.

plus ive heard a recable does wonders for the dt-770s mids(although im REALLY skeptical of recables)

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 10
I've used the V6 and the DT770, so while I can't comment on the A900, I will say that the DT770 will make a great upgrade. It's got the toughness you're looking for. I wouldn't call the highs smoother, but the sound in general is much less harsh/aggressive. It most definitely won't have fuller mids, but for your musical tastes I think that won't be a huge issue. Ska, punk, and rock all sound outstanding on the DT770s. The bass extension and impact blow pretty much everything else away. Also, if you order them from Beyerdynamic Manufacture, you can get a curly V6-style cord.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 10
it always comes back to the dt770, they look DAMN tough too.

thanks a bunch, but if anyone has any other closed portable can ideas, feel free to chime in

i cant wait to hear some double bass drum through a pair of beyers!
basshead.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AA8
A900s have more obvious mids than the 770s, less bass, but in my opinion a more balanced sound. They are overall less fatiguing as well.

From my experiences I like the 900s more and would sell off my 770s if they were selling for a better price now a days.

Forgive me for hijacking this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

AA8, how do you think the DT990 pro compared to the ATH A900?
I read you comparison between the DT770 and DT990.

I was just about to buy a pair of A900 in the F/S forum for $75 just now, but it was sold in less than 10 minutes
eek.gif

thx

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I think that the DT770 is the more sturdy headphone of the two. But remember that the beyers have a higher impedanse and will require an amp to sound their best.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard
I think that the DT770 is the more sturdy headphone of the two. But remember that the beyers have a higher impedanse and will require an amp to sound their best.

With the DT770-80, I really think that completely depends on preference... the headphone is hungry, but not that hungry.

Example:

I dislike the Sony SA5K sound... it's just not for me. I'd rather listen to an under-amped HD650 than a properly amped SA5K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back