Audio Technica A-700s : Meh
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

novaks47

New Head-Fier
My Audio Technica FC7's broke recently, so I decided to go with the slightly pricier A-700's(sealed back). I've had them for two days, and I'm not that impressed. They are very comfy though.
beyersmile.png
SQ wise, the highs are fantastic, but that's about it. The bass is ok. They seem to lack that mid-bass punch that I like(I listen to all kinds of metal), but anything below 60hz, roughly, they do fine. But the deal-breaker for me is their midrange. The midrange sounds weak, almost distant/recessed. This is especialy noticable while watching tv. Has anyone with these headphones experienced this lack of midrange? Do they just need some "burn-in" time? I can deal with a slight lack of bass, but lacking midrange drives me insane. How do the other AT's stack up against these? Any input is appreciated!

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 9
The A900/A950LTD share the same problem with recessed mids and midfi detailling level, whereas the AD2000 and (most of) the woodies tend towards the other extreme. That sounds good with distorted guitars and female voices, but can be queeky with other genres. IMO, the best ATs are the A900TI (a "high res" A900 with mids worth mentioning) and the W5000 (not as coloured mids as the others).

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the info. Those 900Ti's are definitly appealing. It's interesing how the Ti's have a lower impedence compared to the 700's, yet far higher power handling. Do they require more power to extract the best sound, or are they just as happy as the 700's with less power? The 700's sounded the same with various sources that I tried, my Zen V Plus being the weakest @ 12mW. Oh, and how's the mid-bass on the Ti's?

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 9
The TI shares the A*00 ability to sound great out of anything, even weakish flashplayers. I found the midbass very musical and tiptoeing.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 9
I'll definitly have to put those on my "possible" list. They are a bit more cost-wise than the 700's, but then again they seem worth it. Any recommendations for other cans within the $150-200 range that would also be as good or nearly as good? Dang, it's so tough to decide when it comes to anything audio. It's always : Should I find something decent that'll do just fine for less money, or spend more money on something even better, and really be blown away?
tongue.gif
Too bad there isn't a store around here that I could just try out all these options. Thanks for your input thus far!

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 9
As metalhead, you should also look into the Grado / Alessandro territory (but not the SR325 & MS2i, that is far too much treble for metal IMO).

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Hmmm. I forgot about Grado. I always did want to try out the SR80s. I wonder how they would stack up against the FC7s. It's such a tough decision, because I love the way the FC7's sounded. They were easily driven, and all the levels were just right. I usually found myself turning down the bass on my sources. lol So I'm tempted to try and find a used pair, or try their replacement, the FC700A's. But I'm also tempted to try the Grado's. ARGH! Decisions decisions. lol

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I have never seen anyone in head-fi rate the A700 highly, for good reasons. You could try the JVC RX900 that's getting a lot of hype recently, it has been called a poor man's A900.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never seen anyone in head-fi rate the A700 highly, for good reasons. You could try the JVC RX900 that's getting a lot of hype recently, it has been called a poor man's A900.

Before I bought them, I searched these boards, and did find 2 lengthy reviews, and both people loved them. Their only complaints were that highs were a bit harsh during burn in. Only after I got them, and heard the lack of midrange, did I come on here and actually find the complaints. lol Oh well, live and learn! I'll take a look at those JVC's too. Those should be easy enough to find around here, so that I can give them a listen. I'm gonna take my time choosing this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back