Audio Technica 50th Anniversary
Nov 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #166 of 208
Nov 20, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #167 of 208
This site and hobby is really taking all my money. xD I'm seriously considering the amp now... ATH-HA5000ANV that is. It's just quite hard to blow that amount of money for an amp for one headphone. Though it might be better overall than my M1HPA and so far I have only Audio-Technicas as my serious phones. = /

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #168 of 208
I heard all HA5000anv have sold out. There are only 200 units anyway. But still, I may be wrong and you may wanna double check that.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #169 of 208

Quote:
This site and hobby is really taking all my money. xD I'm seriously considering the amp now... ATH-HA5000ANV that is. It's just quite hard to blow that amount of money for an amp for one headphone. Though it might be better overall than my M1HPA and so far I have only Audio-Technicas as my serious phones. = /

The regular HA5000 is more or less the same amp as the ANV version, only it's not quite as attractive looking (imo) and doesn't have some of the anti resonance materials the ANV has. But more or less the same thing at half the cost.

Have you considered the Yamamoto HA-02? It's about half the price of the HA5000ANV as well, but the synergy with Audio-Technica headphones is legendary. Some people even think it sounds better than Audio-Technica's own amps with them.

I'm kind of going back and forth between them.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #171 of 208
Up to some degree it can be subjective but there seems to be a great interest in the HA5000ANV amp. I am interested in getting a Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2 amp for my A-T. Just waiting for project86 to post some impressions.

biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #172 of 208

Quote:

The regular HA5000 is more or less the same amp as the ANV version, only it's not quite as attractive looking (imo) and doesn't have some of the anti resonance materials the ANV has. But more or less the same thing at half the cost.

Have you considered the Yamamoto HA-02? It's about half the price of the HA5000ANV as well, but the synergy with Audio-Technica headphones is legendary. Some people even think it sounds better than Audio-Technica's own amps with them.

That's interesting that you say the Yamamoto may be better than AT's amps. My experience with the Woo Audio 6SE turned me off of tube amps though. The detail from the WA6SE was pretty terrible. Worse than even my portable Ibasso D10 amp. I started to doubt than any tube amp costing less than $3K could be any good. What do you think about the Yamamoto's detail retrieval? Or is it the presentation of the music that makes them shine?

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #173 of 208

Quote:

Yeah, I have considered the Yamamoto for sure. It also has tubes which I like, HA5000 (and ANV) is solid state? HA5000ANV would match the look, but my collection will be a mix of different woods in any case. = ) It's probably smarter to pick either the Yamamoto HA-02 or ordinary HA5000.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #174 of 208

Quote:
That's interesting that you say the Yamamoto may be better than AT's amps. My experience with the Woo Audio 6SE turned me off of tube amps though. The detail from the WA6SE was pretty terrible. Worse than even my portable Ibasso D10 amp. I started to doubt than any tube amp costing less than $3K could be any good. What do you think about the Yamamoto's detail retrieval? Or is it the presentation of the music that makes them shine?

Just to clarify, I personally haven't heard the HA-02 enough to comment on it. I was saying some people feel that way. There are a few reviews here on head-fi comparing the HA-02 and HA5000 which favor the HA-02.

As for tube amps... yeah, I don't like a lot of them myself. I also don't like Woo amps (which should get a few more people 'round these parts to hate me). But there are some very detailed, analytic tube amps for under three grand. My Zana Deux SE for instance is more analytic than some solid state amps!

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #175 of 208

Quote:
Yeah, I have considered the Yamamoto for sure. It also has tubes which I like, HA5000 (and ANV) is solid state? HA5000ANV would match the look, but my collection will be a mix of different woods in any case. = ) It's probably smarter to pick either the Yamamoto HA-02 or ordinary HA5000.

Yeah, it's smarter... but then our hobby isn't always about being smart I've found. 
tongue.gif

And yes, the HA5000 and 5000ANV are solid state.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #176 of 208

Quote:

Would like to ask same questions..
My experience with tube amps so far reflected terrible detail and soundstage definition too.. though those aren't really high-end stuffs (eg. the Schiits, porta tube)

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #178 of 208

Quote:
For those wanting to know about the Yamamoto, check out this review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/200412/yamamoto-sound-craft-ha-02/735

I read his review earlier today and it was helpful but it didn't have any AT woodies to compare. I found this one just now which seems to have a very different conclusion.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/483401/at-ha5000-vs-spl-phonitor-vs-yamamoto-ha2-and-ath-w5000-not-really-a-battle-but-still

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #179 of 208

Quote:

only it's not quite as attractive looking (imo)

With a bit of patience could be as attractive as ANV version (IMHO of course)

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #180 of 208

Quote:

I read his review earlier today and it was helpful but it didn't have any AT woodies to compare. I found this one just now which seems to have a very different conclusion.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/483401/at-ha5000-vs-spl-phonitor-vs-yamamoto-ha2-and-ath-w5000-not-really-a-battle-but-still

Yeah, that's why I was saying some people prefer the Yamamoto. There is seldom consensus for these things, and I think with regard to the HA5000 and the Yamamoto it's mostly going to boil down to personal preference. Interesting to see the opinion of the Phonitor and W5000 not being favorable. I totally disagree.

Aethelred: That's a really nice finish! Looks sexy.

I'm curious as to whether the ANV version has gold buttons and knobs. They look gold in the pictures I've seen of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back