Audio System for Home Gym
Jun 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kitkat12012

100+ Head-Fier
i need some help planning out an audio system for my home gym.

the gym's gonna be in an unfinished basement with concrete walls and floors. area is about 20ish ft x 20ish ft but only half of it will be the gym area so i don't really care if the sounds fill the room or only half of it. and since it'll be in the basement, it needs to be able to handle a bit of moisture and cooler temperature

i'm looking for something that can go loud and boomy. something to get the blood pumping while working out. typical music genres would probably be rock, alternative, hip-hop, bassy stuff

i also want to be able to mount the speakers to the ceiling to conserve space. or maybe put them on a nice stand or something.

music source is either an ipod or a cowon j3. wifi/ethernet capable players that can play online streams would also be a nice plus

I am not sure what to get though. I could probably go with just a cheaper 2.1 speaker set with ipod/cowon aux input. maybe add in an amp to better drive the sounds? DAC maybe that is capable of playing music from usb storage? 2 bookshelfs with a simple receiver? one of those all-in-one home theater solutions?

I'm thinking about spending around $300, maybe a bit more. Definitely not over $500 since I'm only gonna be using them 3 times a week. also I'm looking for components easily buyable brand new in the US. I simply don't have the patience to go hunting for nice used equipment

hope you guys can help me out. thanks

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 4
ok i did a few initial searches and came up with something like this:

logitech squeeze box (or other network players) -> amp -> speakers

or

squeeze box -> powered speakers

seems like it'll fit in my $300-$500 budget

any thoughts on this? any components to add/remove/replace? suggestions for specific brand/models? thanks

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
ok i did a few initial searches and came up with something like this:

logitech squeeze box (or other network players) -> amp -> speakers

or

squeeze box -> powered speakers

seems like it'll fit in my $300-$500 budget

any thoughts on this? any components to add/remove/replace? suggestions for specific brand/models? thanks

What about Bose Sounddock ???

This would fit your requirements !!!

Happy training

Denys

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 4
What about Bose Sounddock ???

This would fit your requirements !!!

Happy training

Denys

it looks ok

but I think I'm gonna go with the squeezebox. its internet radio capabilities is a great selling point IMO. that way I don't have to listen to my mp3s all the time

I'm also thinking of adding components to it though, mainly a nicer/larger set of speakers.

I'm thinking of spending about $200 to $300. any thoughts?

should I go entry-level amp + speakers or just grab some powered speakers for simplicity?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back