AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,156 of 3,694
The only thing to mind is that your PC with DVS and playback software, has low enough network latency. Dante runs real time network protocols, so its traffic has to be top notch.
This depends how you connect to the RN3 or D16, a direct connection to the PC probably won't give any issues. Connecting PC via a switch to the Rednet might require more attention.

Noted. I plan to have Fiber optic between PC , Fiber optic switch and Dante.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,157 of 3,694
Yeah what he ^^^^^^ said… 
atsmile.gif

And it will also help if the NIC you use, be used only for the Danté network.
This may be a non-issue due to the low throughput we are sending across this network, but still it is a streaming situation which can sometimes 'compete' with the 'normal' ethernet protocols already in use.

And in other news…
Tonight the SQ is in full blossom, like I've NEVER heard it before.

Things are focusing down to, and inside of 'Voices' to a degree that is truly remarkable.
The RN3 has ≈ 750hrs, the Silver AES cable has ≈ 335hrs and the fuse has ≈ 150hrs.
So at this point I figure the RN3 is fully settled in, the AES cable may need ≈150hrs more, and fuse 3-400 more hrs to fully settle in.
At least if they continue to morph during break in like most of the rest of my gear.

JJ

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,159 of 3,694
  Noted. I plan to have Fiber optic between PC , Fiber optic switch and Dante.

I do not have any use for this currently (and not sure if this is directly relevant), but I thought the article and comments were helpful to better understand the optical option..

http://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio#XAD5vfGyz6RyPJ5L.97

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,160 of 3,694
Received an antelope liveclock yesterday. This is my first external master clock. First impression was that I felt I needed to crank the volume a little bit more. Next impression was that music using the internal RedNet clock seemed to be more forward with a fuller, more rounded sound while the Antelope appeared better balanced top to bottom.  Additional listening confirmed that while the stock RedNet had a rounder sound the imaging at the edges loses focus a little bit compared to the Antelope where the imaging sounds more solid (if slightly recessed in comparison).

For pure visceral excitement, I'd probably give nod to the stock RedNet. However, the more I A/B I get the impression that the LiveClock may be the more natural perspective. There is no doubt that they sound different. Good news is that sq with Antelope (like RedNet) has no digital glare and music has a wonderful flow to it that reminds me of my analog system. Also, using the RedNet Control it is easy to change from internal to external clock with a mouse click.

Liveclock has been running less than 24 hours so I'll continue to monitor to see if sound changes over time.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,161 of 3,694

I have had the Antelope Live clock in my system for 7 days . The sound difference I noticed was combination of better focus and a
smoothness of the sound very analog sounding . I use a Metrum Octave NOS DAC . I have a 18volt LPS for the clock on the way
 If it does not improve the SQ that's Ok . Then Antelope did a good job on the design .  
I am not using a SPDIF Re-clocker

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,162 of 3,694
Received an antelope liveclock yesterday. This is my first external master clock. First impression was that I felt I needed to crank the volume a little bit more....

That's normally a very good sign. The more 'musical' and less 'digital' the sound is, one can & kinda feels the need to turn the volume up.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,163 of 3,694
  Received an antelope liveclock yesterday. This is my first external master clock. First impression was that I felt I needed to crank the volume a little bit more. Next impression was that music using the internal RedNet clock seemed to be more forward with a fuller, more rounded sound while the Antelope appeared better balanced top to bottom.  Additional listening confirmed that while the stock RedNet had a rounder sound the imaging at the edges loses focus a little bit compared to the Antelope where the imaging sounds more solid (if slightly recessed in comparison).

For pure visceral excitement, I'd probably give nod to the stock RedNet. However, the more I A/B I get the impression that the LiveClock may be the more natural perspective. There is no doubt that they sound different. Good news is that sq with Antelope (like RedNet) has no digital glare and music has a wonderful flow to it that reminds me of my analog system. Also, using the RedNet Control it is easy to change from internal to external clock with a mouse click.

Liveclock has been running less than 24 hours so I'll continue to monitor to see if sound changes over time.

I received my LiveClock last Wednesday and your assessment pretty much mirrors my own. I also find myself listening at a higher volume because there is just the music there with subtle detail revealed and less of the dross that accompanies less effective rendering. The soundstage is deeper with more layering front to back and the image positioning is really solid. It is a very natural sound with no glare.

I have the LiveClock now clocking both my D16 and my Mutec MC3+ USB which I am using to re-clock. Not a simple setup but truly remarkable. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,164 of 3,694

I received my LiveClock last Wednesday and your assessment pretty much mirrors my own. I also find myself listening at a higher volume because there is just the music there with subtle detail revealed and less of the dross that accompanies less effective rendering. The soundstage is deeper with more layering front to back and the image positioning is really solid. It is a very natural sound with no glare.

I have the LiveClock now clocking both my D16 and my Mutec MC3+ USB which I am using to re-clock. Not a simple setup but truly remarkable. 

Do you think the Mutec or the LiveClock makes a bigger difference? Did you notice any burn-in changes like those commonly attributed to XOs on many devices?

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,165 of 3,694

Clocking the Mutec to the Antelope is next-up. I only had one BNC cable laying around so waiting for cable delivery . Need one of you guys now to go out and try the Liveclock with an Atomic clock :). Between the Mutec, D16 and Liveclock in the last 4-5 months I've burned through my audio piggy bank. Time to consolidate things for a bit and focus purely on the music. Good timing as with the current set-up the music sounds great.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,166 of 3,694
Just to clarify- you are using the Mutec as an external clock to the Rednet, not as a converter? Or both (how would that work?)

Also any reason you guys decided not to wait on the Ref10?

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,167 of 3,694
Just to clarify- you are using the Mutec as an external clock to the Rednet, not as a converter? Or both (how would that work?)

Also any reason you guys decided not to wait on the Ref10?

The Mutec is a swiss army knife and can be used as master clock, converter and reclocker. It can also convert formats (DSD/DoD to PCM). The clock on the Mutec (while very good) is not IMO a reference level clock. A few people have experimented using Mutec to clock RedNet and preferred the RedNet internal clock.

In my system I am using an Antelope as the external clock for the RedNet (and Mutec shortly). I am using the Mutec to reclock.

Good question on Ref10. Primary reasons for the liveclock are (a) It's available now (b) the Liveclock uses the same 4th generation clock that is in their latest Trinity and OCX HD products (c) Antelope has a very good reputation for clocking (d) At $995 I thought the price tag was worth a trial and (e) the liveclock was available via Sweetwater who I feel very comfortable with from a customer service standpoint. I have no prior experience using an external clock so I did not want to spend big bucks (i.e - more $ than my DAC) only to potentially find out that it did not make much difference. My understanding is that the Mutec will probably have a price in the neighborhood of around $2500 - $3K. Given my experience with the MC-3+USB it is likely the Ref10 will be very good. If it turns out to be better than sliced bread it's still a potential option going forward.

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,168 of 3,694
Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you think the Mutec or the LiveClock makes a bigger difference? Did you notice any burn-in changes like those commonly attributed to XOs on many devices?

I'm not Mourip but my recommendation would be for people to get equipment in the following order (a) RedNet (get off the USB merry go round) (b) Mutec (extremely versatile audio tool) and then (c) LiveClock. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,169 of 3,694

I'm not Mourip but my recommendation would be for people to get equipment in the following order (a) RedNet (get off the USB merry go round) (b) Mutec (extremely versatile audio tool) and then (c) LiveClock. 

I am Mourip and I was just about to suggest the exact same thing :)

Adding the Mutec as a re-clocker made a big difference. Adding the LiveClock made a more subtle improvement but still worth it. After I get more hours on the system I might try a few combinations like trying the D16 with just the LiveClock. 

Actually I should have just quoted gldgate's longer post from above as I would have said those same things for the same reasons. I believe that we both also use an Yggy.

Hey gldgate! Do you live in SF? I grew up in El Cerrito....

Best,

Paul

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,170 of 3,694

I am Mourip and I was just about to suggest the exact same thing :)

Adding the Mutec as a re-clocker made a big difference. Adding the LiveClock made a more subtle improvement but still worth it. After I get more hours on the system I might try a few combinations like trying the D16 with just the LiveClock. 

Actually I should have just quoted gldgate's longer post from above as I would have said those same things for the same reasons. I believe that we both also use an Yggy.

Hey gldgate! Do you live in SF? I grew up in El Cerrito....

Best,

Paul

Yes, currently live in the Bay area - Santa Clara.

I always follow your posts here and on CA because our digital chain is virtually identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back