Audio Measurements on a Headfi Budget

Would you buy an expensive headphone without hearing it or seeing any measurements for it?

• No

• Yes, I'd buy it on the spot if Steve Guttenberg says it sounds good. He is always right.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 2, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #76 of 135
Hello is there a simple / easy to follow guide for setting up REW w/ Dayton iMM6? for someone that is clueless like me? I only want to measure for Channel Imbalance on IEMs

I started clueless as well when starting IEM measurement. If your objective is simply to check channels matching, what you need is a coupler that allow you to fit the IEM with same consistent distance to the microphone everytime you do measurement. As on the REW part, watch YouTube video and play around with it.

1. Some measurement mics is not properly sealed between the microphone capsule and the microphone nozzle / head. This resulting severe abnormal bass roll off on the measurement result. If you see the bass roll off too much, you need to do the hard part, remove the mic nozzle and try to apply some glue to seal the mic capsule. I broke one Dayton UMM-6 when trying to do this. So be really careful.

2. Getting good coupler is probably another difficult part. But if only to check channel matching, I guess something like flexible Silicone tube / host might help. Suggested distance from mic to IEM nozzle is around 13mm. Many years back when I use iMM-6, I made coupler using heat shrink tube. Around 4-5 layers are good.

3. Listen to the IEM, set it at your listening volume. Measure around that level.

4. Be consistent when fixing the IEM to the couple. Try to be as consistent as possible.

My2cents.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #78 of 135
I was trying to find a way to measure my IEMs to check the channel matching/bass level and I've tried using a syringe tube, pen, aquarium hose but nothing could fit well on my mic (Zalman ZM-1). Funny enough today I was looking for something in my tool drawer and I found some parts of an old stove then I've spent some time tinkering it with blu-tac and voila! It works well for this propose, but what the hell is that peak?
lol.jpg

Is there a way to improve it using some compensation file? Or is just better upgrading my mic to imm6 + tube?

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #79 of 135
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #80 of 135
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #81 of 135
I was trying to find a way to measure my IEMs to check the channel matching/bass level and I've tried using a syringe tube, pen, aquarium hose but nothing could fit well on my mic (Zalman ZM-1). Funny enough today I was looking for something in my tool drawer and I found some parts of an old stove then I've spent some time tinkering it with blu-tac and voila! It works well for this propose, but what the hell is that peak?

Is there a way to improve it using some compensation file? Or is just better upgrading my mic to imm6 + tube?
What a brilliant way to recycle some of your old kitchen equipment! Respect! :)

As to those peaks, if nothing is loose or wobbly and the measurements are repeatable, then I can only think of three possibilities: 1) it's a driver resonance, 2) it's a resonance from your coupler, or 3) a combination of both. My guess would be number 2, because your cylinder/coupler/fake ear canal (top right figure) looks quite long. The average ear canal is about 24 mm long, but an IEM is going to occupy about half of that, so I think you might need to hacksaw off some of that cylinder length in order to have your IEM nozzle sit a bit closer to the mic. That will cause that peak to shift to a higher frequency. You're never going to completely match a 711 coupler result, but it should get closer.

I wouldn't reach for a compensation curve just yet. They're just a fudge for a multitude of sins :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #82 of 135
What a brilliant way to recycle some of your old kitchen equipment! Respect! :)

As to those peaks, if nothing is loose or wobbly and the measurements are repeatable, then I can only think of three possibilities: 1) it's a driver resonance, 2) it's a resonance from your coupler, or 3) a combination of both. My guess would be number 2, because your cylinder/coupler/fake ear canal (top right figure) looks quite long. The average ear canal is about 24 mm long, but an IEM is going to occupy about half of that, so I think you might need to hacksaw off some of that cylinder length in order to have your IEM nozzle sit a bit closer to the mic. That will cause that peak to shift to a higher frequency. You're never going to completely match a 711 coupler result, but it should get closer.

I wouldn't reach for a compensation curve just yet. They're just a fudge for a multitude of sins :)

Thanks for your input! Definitely I'll try it later.

I've added a tiny piece of cotton in front of the mic and I could rid of that odd resonance peak:
Arta_2020-01-21_14-04-44.png
Orange = Sony MH755 / Blue = ZS3 with CP145 / Red = ZS3 with Sony Hybrid

Although I feel anything past 1kHz is really off, but for my initial goal in checking possible QC issues (like a huge channel imbalance), it's not that bad! I'm happy that it showed a small difference between the tips CP145 and Sony Hybrids to something very similar to what I'm hearing, a bit more sub-bass on Sony Hybrids and a bit brighter on CP145. Eventually, I'll try to upgrade it for a better rig but again thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #84 of 135
Feb 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #85 of 135
does it come with a mic or just a coupler?
You've got the choice of either. The easiest option would be for you to get one already with the mic installed. If you're feeling adventurous and handy at DIY, you can try to get the coupler alone, and then install your own mic. (But I would only worry about installing your own mic if you're also interested in measuring distortion. For FR alone, you don't need a fancy condenser mic.)

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #86 of 135
Hi All

Is there a standard or best practice when measuring CIEMs with the IEC711 coupler? How do you seal the acrylic CIEM nozzle to the metal coupler opening?

Thanks

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #87 of 135
Hi All

Is there a standard or best practice when measuring CIEMs with the IEC711 coupler? How do you seal the acrylic CIEM nozzle to the metal coupler opening?

Thanks
That's a great question. I doubt anybody (even those with TOTL pro rigs) will get this 100% right. Unless you've got an anatomically-perfect dummy replica of yourself, the measurements are going to be off by some amount.

My best advice would be don't buy a CIEM :wink: Really. They're such a crapshoot. The OEM is never going to be able to exactly match that UIEM tuning you experienced (and presumably liked?), so you're always rolling the dice to some extent with a CIEM. I've seen a lot of customs measure wildly differently from their UIEM counterparts, and those differences can't all be attributable to measurement issues. A went on a bit of a rant about CIEMs here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-fr-measurement-database.830062/post-13802480

If you absolutely have to have a custom and need to measure it, I'd insert the CIEM nozzle as far as it will go in the coupler opening and then seal around it thoroughly with mounting putty. It probably won't be all that far off considering that, even for UIEMs, we don't really know a perfect way to match insertion depth. I guess what's needed is some kind of very flexible, gel-filled artificial pinna/canal opening that would comfortably stretch to fit any shape of CIEM. I don't know of any such product. Yet. GRAS, B&K - if you make one, you owe me royalties.

P.S. @TonySunshine - I love your signature quote. I can relate :dt880smile:

Feb 20, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #88 of 135
Thanks for the thorough response. I guess its a bit too late for me to heed your advice, as I've owned the 64 Audio N8 for a few months now. Double duty for audiophile needs as well as on stage as a guitar player. I'll try using blutac or putty. Just wanted to see how my N8 measures compared to the ones crinacle has measured.

That's a great question. I doubt anybody (even those with TOTL pro rigs) will get this 100% right. Unless you've got an anatomically-perfect dummy replica of yourself, the measurements are going to be off by some amount.

My best advice would be don't buy a CIEM :wink: Really. They're such a crapshoot. The OEM is never going to be able to exactly match that UIEM tuning you experienced (and presumably liked?), so you're always rolling the dice to some extent with a CIEM. I've seen a lot of customs measure wildly differently from their UIEM counterparts, and those differences can't all be attributable to measurement issues. A went on a bit of a rant about CIEMs here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-fr-measurement-database.830062/post-13802480

If you absolutely have to have a custom and need to measure it, I'd insert the CIEM nozzle as far as it will go in the coupler opening and then seal around it thoroughly with mounting putty. It probably won't be all that far off considering that, even for UIEMs, we don't really know a perfect way to match insertion depth. I guess what's needed is some kind of very flexible, gel-filled artificial pinna/canal opening that would comfortably stretch to fit any shape of CIEM. I don't know of any such product. Yet. GRAS, B&K - if you make one, you owe me royalties.

P.S. @TonySunshine - I love your signature quote. I can relate :dt880smile:

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #89 of 135
Many thanks to @earfonia for this link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073069259.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4di1SuPh

If you don't live in China, the above link is probably a much easier purchase option for your 711 coupler.

This looks good, but wow, it's a bit of a step up vs the TaoBao prices. Does AliExpress include shipping?

Also, I found this link on AliExpress for the barrel style (rather than base/platform style) connector: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000544425172.html - does anyone know if it's trustworthy / worth ordering?

What kind of buyer protection does AliExpress have if it's a dud? (I've never bought anything from there before).

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #90 of 135
Thanks for the thorough response. I guess its a bit too late for me to heed your advice, as I've owned the 64 Audio N8 for a few months now. Double duty for audiophile needs as well as on stage as a guitar player. I'll try using blutac or putty. Just wanted to see how my N8 measures compared to the ones crinacle has measured.
I'm almost sure you'll see differences w.r.t. to the UIEM versions. In fact, just look at the spread of measurements even amongst different UIEM serial numbers on crinacle's website. That ought to worry potential customers. In fact, in the last couple of days I just purchased a UIEM that didn't sound or measure the same as the demo UIEM pair I first heard/measured. I tend to find big-brand names like Shure, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Sony, etc., tend to have fairly tight tolerances, but smaller, more boutique headphone companies can have a pretty big spread and often not-so-good QC. You're wise to check these things out with a coupler. I actually don't think these couplers are that expensive if you're investing $1000s on the IEMs themselves.

This looks good, but wow, it's a bit of a step up vs the TaoBao prices. Does AliExpress include shipping?

Also, I found this link on AliExpress for the barrel style (rather than base/platform style) connector: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000544425172.html - does anyone know if it's trustworthy / worth ordering?
I'd say yes and yes, respectively :wink: The plinth-style couplers are overkill. You don't need that large solid base. Just put your barrel-style coupler on some sorbothane for damping. This is another great find! Many thanks for sharing that link :)

What kind of buyer protection does AliExpress have if it's a dud? (I've never bought anything from there before).

60 day money-back guarantee. I've bought many items from AliExpress and never had an issue. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back