Here is my set-up

MB: GA-EP45-DS3R with both Optical and Coaxial SPDIF out;
  • Realtek ALC889A codec
  • High Definition Audio
  • 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  • Support for Dolby Home Theater
  • Support for S/PDIF In/Out
  • Support for CD In

Line out Jack (green)- used by my Klipsch 2.0 ProMedia Ultra.
Sennheiser HD595
(I had been plugging my HD595 into the headphone out directly from the Klipsch.)

My music (all 500+cd's) are stored external in FLAC using Media Monkey 3.2.

So, what are my options to improve the sound:

1) with just what I have? some kind of SPDIF to HD595 amp, or even just connector?
2) what about sound cards?
3) new headphones?
4) any other options I'm missing?

(I am kinda looking on the cheap side now, thinking of building a new rig when USB3.0 comes out.)

Thanks

May 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 3
You would probably be best served by getting a sound card with a decent amp such as the Xonar ST. Alternatively, you could get an external DAC, that would be useful so long as its drivers and USB exist. If you got the external DAC would you need an amp as well. An example of a DAC would be the Little Dot DAC I.

You can also get DAC/AMP combos, such as the Ibasso D4 or Musiland Monitor 02 US.

Honestly, now that I think about it, a Musiland Monitor 02 US would be great for your HD595. I used (use, at work) that exact setup and it sounded great.

May 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
You would probably be best served by getting a sound card with a decent amp such as the Xonar ST. Alternatively, you could get an external DAC, that would be useful so long as its drivers and USB exist. If you got the external DAC would you need an amp as well. An example of a DAC would be the Little Dot DAC I.

You can also get DAC/AMP combos, such as the Ibasso D4 or Musiland Monitor 02 US.

Honestly, now that I think about it, a Musiland Monitor 02 US would be great for your HD595. I used (use, at work) that exact setup and it sounded great.

I'd definitely recommend an external solution, but, I'd recommend something with a toslink/coaxial input, so you can take advantage of that over USB.  There are several sub-$200 DAC/Amps around that would fit the bill and do it quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back