Audio Gear With The Coolest Names
Jul 20, 2002 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25
Without even having heard some of them, some pieces of audio gear (not necessarily headphone-specific) have names that makes me want to hear them:
  1. Theta Dreadnaught (amplifier): Makes the Dreadnought battleship come to my mind. With a name like that, one would think it would sound good and protect your house.
  2. Theta Citadel (amplifier): Another great name that connotes great strength.
  3. Ortofon Kontrapunkt B (phono cartridge): Kontrapunkt apparently means "counterpoint" in German (I used Babelfish Translation to figure that out). I just like the way the name reads--so peremptorily Teutonic.
  4. Kimber Palladian (power cord): Almost too cool a name for a power cord.
  5. Nordost Valhalla (audio cables): Odin would be proud.
  6. Rockport Hyperion (loudspeakers): Another strong-sounding name.
  7. Sonus Faber Amati Homage (loudspeakers): They look and sound even better than the name reads.
What other audio products do you think have awesome names?

Jul 20, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 25
Now that you mention that, I wonder why most headphones are given such bland, generic names: eg. HD600, MDR-R10... I'm sure headphones are just as (if not more) deserving of a cool name as power cords!

Jul 20, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
I always think Linn has cool names for their products, like the "Sizmik" subwoofer and "Klimax" poweramp.

Ah, yes....Linn....I've always liked the way they name things. They used to make a less expensive turntable called the Axis.

Linn Axis

I always liked the way that name sounded -- one of few Linn names without a "k".

Jul 20, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
I'm sure headphones are just as (if not more) deserving of a cool name as power cords!

True, but headphone-related companies seem to get cocky when they stray from using numbers. They start calling stuff names like the "Max" or the "Omega".

Jul 20, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 25
My favourite name is:
Audion Silver Night (tube amp). Associates to an amp with very dark background and with wonderful resolution and shades.

Nordost has very associative names, but seems to have copied somewhat. Valhalla has already been used (the motor drive for the Linn LP12 turntable). How about Naim Armageddon? (an alternative power supply for LP12). But the Blue Heaven and Red Dawn are cool.

If you like the forceful alternatives: Forsell Air Force One (an air-bearen turntable).

Sometimes it is a little overdone: Aural Symhponics Missing Link Cubed v3.

A name a don't like: Outlaw, should be the IC of choice for Hells Angels.

Jul 20, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 25
Personally, I like the name and concept of Outlaw.

It matches their business of direct sales which is a different direction for thr audio business. Except of course, for Headroom.

And what's wrong with calling something a "Max"??

Or Cosmic? Or "Blockhead??? " That one is a bit strange, but then so is Tyll. In a GOOD way

Jul 20, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 25
I like:

Micro Utopia, the JMLab speaker

Alpha Core Python speaker cable

I dislike:

German Physiks Tiebreak (what a dumb name for a quarter-million-dollar speaker)

SCD-XA333ES and other such mouthfuls of numbers from Sony.

Jul 20, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 25
Sugden Headmaster............sounds like it's totally in charge........which it is.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 25
I always thought the Headmaster sounded like a device that did a little more than power headphones.

Jul 21, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
Does Tyll and headroom have a specific reason for naming it Blockhead?

Didn't someone from HeadFi name it? JMT or someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back