Audio GD system and cables
May 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 23
I have just finished a set cast cable using Belden 1800f. Initial impressions are very positive. Possibly better than the Canare DA202 between pre and amp.

I'll give it some time to settle for prop comparison.

May 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #17 of 23
May 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #18 of 23
will you consider a double helix cast cables ? a little pricey. some of the users tried their nucleotide cables.

http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=14

I've built a set of cables using their OCC wire. A 3 conductor unshielded braided design. I didn't love it as a cast cable. These work better as XLRs, but IME not better than good pro cables from Canare or Belden. The 1800f is excellent!.

Yes, a litle pricey... Terminating a set of cables by hand with care takes quite some time though. I wouldn't sell a pair I build for less than $150...

May 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 23
Julien

Two suggestions,

1) dedicated AC line for your system. I would go with a 20 amp dual duplex (plug the amps into the line directly) and the LC into any remaining free outlets on the dedicated line. Your thin bottom end will disappear completely, the strident upper mids, compression of dynamics will also disappear. The difference isn't readily noticeable at first (sometimes it is, depends on how bad the AC power is in your home) until you you start to turn the SPL up...at that point it'll be crystal clear what the dedicated power plus LC (for front end) brings to the system.

2) line conditioner for your front end sources/preamp

Those two additions will allow the system to reach it's max potential.

As for BNC cables....those do make a marked difference IMO. I have a Furutech Alpha (solid silver) that is loads better than the Canare/belden units (both of which I still have).

That's a nice system you have there Julien, enjoy !

Peete.

May 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #20 of 23
Thank you for the tips Peete!

Indeed, I have an Audio-gd power condition I really like... I few years ago I moved my main system from my leaving room to my basement and lost my dedicated 20 amp outlets... My wife kicked me out once I placed the "fat" Thor's... I still haven't found time to move the dedicated outlets to my basement. But I'll experiment taking the amp out of the conditioner. In the past I had preferred that arengement, but will reevaluate.

My solution to the spdif coaxial connection was to get rid of the cable and connect my Agd DI directly to my DAC using a male to male BNC adapter. That improved detail a great deal!

I still feel the Audio-gd cast cables are not at the same level as their gear. I'm now prefering the Canare da202 to the Belden 1800f... The 1800f is very detailed but a bit dry and sometimes fatiguing... Maybe it is just too revealing, or needs more break in... I'll have to experiment more for a more conclusive opinion. Maybe mixing them both...

As a reference, the difference the new cables made in the system are at the same level (but different) as the Olimex USB-ISO between my computer and DI.

May 14, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 23
I've actually never been a huge proponent of interconnects myself, always leaning towards the side of headphone cables making the audible difference. Lately I've even gone back to using an all-in-one DAC/amp so I've even eliminated interconnects out of the equation.

Some people ONLY play with cables of the interconnect/LOD variety and they report positive results. It's up to your ears to hear differences if any at all, not what your common sense tells you. 

As far as makers go, if you want a shielded pair of cables, Moon does a wonderful cable shielded with butyl rubber and it's quite cost effective if you buy the raw cable and terminate it with your own high quality RCA's. It's like $10/ft and honestly if I could get more people to build their own cable, people would stop arguing about cables and get into DIY-ing their own stuff!

May 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 23
I think you are limiting a lot of your audio-gd potential.

for info, the cables i spend costs more than all the audio-gd gears combined. my sig shows my gears.
Quote:
Thank you for the tips Peete!
Indeed, I have an Audio-gd power condition I really like... I few years ago I moved my main system from my leaving room to my basement and lost my dedicated 20 amp outlets... My wife kicked me out once I placed the "fat" Thor's... I still haven't found time to move the dedicated outlets to my basement. But I'll experiment taking the amp out of the conditioner. In the past I had preferred that arengement, but will reevaluate.
My solution to the spdif coaxial connection was to get rid of the cable and connect my Agd DI directly to my DAC using a male to male BNC adapter. That improved detail a great deal!
I still feel the Audio-gd cast cables are not at the same level as their gear. I'm now prefering the Canare da202 to the Belden 1800f... The 1800f is very detailed but a bit dry and sometimes fatiguing... Maybe it is just too revealing, or needs more break in... I'll have to experiment more for a more conclusive opinion. Maybe mixing them both...
As a reference, the difference the new cables made in the system are at the same level (but different) as the Olimex USB-ISO between my computer and DI.

May 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
Other than that, it reads like a paid promotion for audio-gd - just sayin. 

I now see your point! I guess I've been away from the audio forums for too long... Looks like many post are biased...

Quick disclaimer: I'm not related to any of the brands I mention. These are all subjective impressions and should be taken with a grain of salt. Experimentation is key. I'm only interested in sharing my experience and hopefully stimulate discussion among fellow members.

I'm also not interested in spending thousands in cables. IME that is not the recipe to audio nirvana. Although cables play an important role in an audio system, one can get excellent sounding cables for not too much. DIY will help keep costs down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back