Audio-GD Singularity 19
Jan 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 285

kazcou

100+ Head-Fier
Audio-GD has annonced their first R2R resistors ladder DAC, It's the first of a new serie.

Singularity 19
Dedicated Discrete R2R DAC
Fully programmable hardware design ,support future upgrade without hardware modify
Built in 4 PCs 3072KHz support R-2R  DA M1 modules

32bit / 384K Amanero combo384
Supports up to 384KHz /32Bit at USB
Supports up to 192KHz /24Bit at SPDIF

Promotion  :  (Exclude shipping cost)
Built in 2 pcs DA M1 : USD600
Built in 4 pcs DA M1 : USD650

And the R2R module can also be purchased as a DIY part

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 285
The key to this dac is the diy part. It only needs 3.3v. So you can dump the toroid power supply and instead use a small lifepo battery... only 30mA current needed to boot. Get a cheap little LM317 from ebay, a cheap wallwart and a lifepo battery and you're good to go.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 285
I had been posting on the DAC-19 page, but I'll move further notes and comments over here concerning my Singularity 19 purchase.

I've got my order placed for a Singularity 19 with 4 DA-M1s.  I also had them add the TCXO upgrade.  After emailing them back and forth a few times we determined that I can replace the RCA or BNC with I2S (HDMI or RJ45), so I've opted to replace the RCA with HDMI.  They've since added it as custom option #5 on the webpage.

There was 10 days lead-time when I placed the order.  That was about a week ago now, so it'll hopefully ship next week before they shutdown for Chinese New Year holidays.

I'll update the thread as I have more info.  I will be comparing it to my current DAC-19 (10th anniversary).  Amps used will be the C-2 via ACSS and the Wells Audio Milo via RCA.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 285
I had been posting on the DAC-19 page, but I'll move further notes and comments over here concerning my Singularity 19 purchase.

I've got my order placed for a Singularity 19 with 4 DA-M1s.  I also had them add the TCXO upgrade.  After emailing them back and forth a few times we determined that I can replace the RCA or BNC with I2S (HDMI or RJ45), so I've opted to replace the RCA with HDMI.  They've since added it as custom option #5 on the webpage.

There was 10 days lead-time when I placed the order.  That was about a week ago now, so it'll hopefully ship next week before they shutdown for Chinese New Year holidays.

I'll update the thread as I have more info.  I will be comparing it to my current DAC-19 (10th anniversary).  Amps used will be the C-2 via ACSS and the Wells Audio Milo via RCA.

Great its time my C211th need a companion acss dac.

I wonder it will compete with Mimby and Jot setup too.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 285
Regarding Kingwa (Audio-GD) the Singularity 19 sounds "quite similar" compared to the DAC 19. 

Looking forward to hear it myself!

One thing I really like is the HDMI LVDS input (wihtout losing the USB input)!

Option 5:Custom order RJ45 or HDMI replace RCA or BNC coaxial input .
      USD30, after order, the unit had USB, BNC or RCA coaxial , optical and HDMI or RJ45 inputs. The setting button pull out , the selector knob can select between USB, coaxial and optical .The setting button push into, the HDMI had select. While place the order , customer must inform the RJ45 or HDMI is replace the RCA or BNC? in default without inform we will replace the BNC input.

I will not miss the "phase invert" function, this is what the DAC 19 "setting" button does (on front panel)

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 285
  I can't wait to read some impressions of the new module.  Hopefully it cures some of the 1704's ills. 

What are the 1704's ills in your mind ... ? Mushy bass? Not the greatest soundstage? Just curious as I often see quotes from people that really don't think much of the 1704 - they seem to refer to these aspects.

I for one find these to be minor "ills" given the improvement in removing digititus compared to other DS DAC chips (Sabre etc). Also, AGD has new DSP firmware for the 1704 based DACs that apparently mitigates some of these perceived concerns ... descriptions of the improvements often include "tighter bass", "more separation", "crisper highs", "less analog".  (i for one am still waiting on the DSP update).

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 285
Being a DS hater for the most part I rather like the 1704.  Over the past 10 years Ive owned something like 4-5 dacs that used the chips from companies including audio gd, lite audio, monarchy.  All have suffered to some extent from somewhat rounded bass, slightly rolled off highs, poorer soundstage depth all in comparison to other r2r dacs.  I really don't see how a new dsp would change the overall character of the chip but that is not a hugely bad thing as I have only heard 3 dacs that I think beat the older Master 7 (2 from Schiit and one so expensive I would never consider buying it). 

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 285
  Being a DS hater for the most part I rather like the 1704.  Over the past 10 years Ive owned something like 4-5 dacs that used the chips from companies including audio gd, lite audio, monarchy.  All have suffered to some extent from somewhat rounded bass, slightly rolled off highs, poorer soundstage depth all in comparison to other r2r dacs.  I really don't see how a new dsp would change the overall character of the chip but that is not a hugely bad thing as I have only heard 3 dacs that I think beat the older Master 7 (2 from Schiit and one so expensive I would never consider buying it). 

The DSP upgrade improved some SQ attributes of A-GD 1704 DACs substantially. Especially the bass of my Master 7 is now on a new level and I am starting to prefer the M7 over my Iggy after the A-GD DSP upgrade.

I am very curious about the SQ of the new A-GD Singularity products vs Master 7 and vs Yggdrasil.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 285

The 2 Schiit's you are referring to are obviously the Yggy and Gumby?

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 285

The DSP upgrade improved some SQ attributes of A-GD 1704 DACs substantially. Especially the bass of my Master 7 is now on a new level and I am starting to prefer the M7 over my Iggy after the A-GD DSP upgrade.

I am very curious about the SQ of the new A-GD Singularity products vs Master 7 and vs Yggdrasil.

I don't doubt this, like I said I chased 1704 dacs for around 10 years so I come from a place of love lol.  Perhaps "ills" is the wrong word as I have always been able to see why one would prefer the M7 to the Yggy.  I tend to view the Yggy and Gumby as superior because they do the high resolution thing that DS dacs do well (thats the only thing they do well IMO) and they retain that R2R magic.  Having said all that I am way more excited for a DA M1 based Singularity 7 than I am for an upgraded dsp M7 or S7.  I hope the new module brings the SIngularity/master 7 up to par with the Yggy in terms of detail (mainly bass detail) and resolution.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 285
No shipment notification from Audio-gd yet for my Singularity 19.  I'm guessing this means it won't ship until at least Feb 6th now.  Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back