Audio GD Roc/ Meier Concerto with POLL
Jul 21, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
I am still deciding on an amp:frowning2: And hopefully this is my last decision. The Audio GD is known for having bang for its buck/ and even having more for what you pay for. And the Concerto is more of you get what you pay for, and it MRSP's say and dont really move. So i will be adding a poll, and decide what you like better.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 32
I would take the Roc because you can use your headphones balanced. (You'll need a balanced source, just so you know.)

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 32
If you go Roc You really should go with the matching Ref 5, if your budget can handle it.... if you don't go acss/balanced then go with the Concerto.

or you could always try out the new Roc.... http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/ROCSA/ROCSAEN.htm (does not use ACSS)

But my Ref5/Roc in balanced acss is amazing, my thoughts have not changed about it since it has burned in months ago.  It is neutral to my ears, and everything sounds "right" and natural to me.  I am feeding the Reference 5 dac with a 400 dollar Saffire Pro 24 dsp unit (firewire from computer with excellent jitter control)

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 32
Yes I have the saffire so I can do recording, etc.  The Ref5 actually has a usb input as well.  

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
I would take the Roc because you can use your headphones balanced. (You'll need a balanced source, just so you know.)

I chose the Roc, for the same reason.

But you don't need a balanced source! The Roc transforms SE signals into balanced, so you get the huge soundstage improvements even with non-balanced sources by driving your headphones in balanced mode. A balanced source will give you a slight improvement, but it's not mandatory. (I have been using my Roc without a balanced source for 2 months before getting the Ref5).

Even with a non-balanced source it is definitely better than an SE amp. The Roc will also leave your upgrade path open if you chose to get a balanced source in the future.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:

I chose the Roc, for the same reason.

But you don't need a balanced source! The Roc transforms SE signals into balanced, so you get the huge soundstage improvements even with non-balanced sources by driving your headphones in balanced mode. A balanced source will give you a slight improvement, but it's not mandatory. (I have been using my Roc without a balanced source for 2 months before getting the Ref5).

Even with a non-balanced source it is definitely better than an SE amp. The Roc will also leave your upgrade path open if you chose to get a balanced source in the future.

The Concerto also has this feature, it's called crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back