Audio-gd Reference 7 Loaner Program (USA)
Aug 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #16 of 370

Quote:
Uncle Erik: It'd be good to have your feedback on it.

I just need people to PM me their addresses so, as n3rdling suggested, I can work out the most effective order so that shipping distances can be minimised. Also if anyone wants to have it at a particular time for a meet, let me know.  According to Kingwa, he can send one anytime, so I figure once we have a couple more people we can have a look at how the cities spread out and go from there.

Also, Kingwa said he will include a USBFace with it.  When someone asked him about the Reference 7, which has USB, he replied that the USB implementation in the USBFace is better (which probably makes a USBFace + Reference 1 a more cost-effective DAC solution) but it's another thing one can experiment with if one chooses.

Currawong- with the DPS3 being in the DI (not in the USB input of his DAC's), plus the discount when you buy both, it's a total no-brainer to get the DI when buying his DAC. I have posted this before but the cost is about $60 more to get the DI versus buying a DAC with the USB.

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 370
I have also been intrigued by the A GD DACs. I would like to throw my name in the hat but do understand this will be a popular request.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 370
I'm not sure how people feel about shipping across borders. I don't think I would pay a couple $100 in duties to hear it.
If we declared/insured it at a lower value and as a gift than that solves that issue but raises another issue- that of it shipping not fully insured.

I would be comparing it to Assemblage 3.1 with XLR output to studio monitors.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 370
Updated the list just now.  I think 9 people is plenty.   If anyone else wants in, feel free to ask.  Some info about what gear you have ("Gear is in my profile" is fine) would help.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 370
Interested to see reviews of this. Just ordered a phoenix over the weekend, was considering an audio-gd dac too, but gonna wait for reviews.
I hope one of the guys getting this to try out has a T1 (and an HD800) to try them with that.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #23 of 370
The phoenix is extremely unforgiving. I would not recommend using it with a $250 source. Even used with a $500 source, dac19mk3, the sound was lukewarm with the phoenix, because the amp reveals the technical ability of dac's very well, but using accessories like power filter did help a good amount. Phoenix is also a small degree unforgiving of my $1000 balanced dac I believe mainly due to the pmd-100 digital filter in it.

If you get only one thing from audio-gd I would recommend a dac instead of amp. If you get both, they offer a small discount over email.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #24 of 370
Agree with haloxt... Roc (baby Phoenix) tend to reveal all that source feeds him... could make you unhappy with your source (made me).

Note also that, A-GD headamps' output can be somewhat "tailored" to match better specific headphones/sound tastes by just altering bias voltages.

Enjoy your Phoenix.
smile.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #25 of 370
Good luck with the programme guys.  Had my eyes on the Ref1/7 for ages now, but was never sure.  I sure hope it doesn't go around trouncing 8k dacs - or I'd have to switch everything over to balanced drive!!!  Cheers.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 370
Looking forward to reading everyone's reviews.  I have no doubt that everyone who listens to it will enjoy it.  I think it's also important to mention that you leave the Reference 7 on for 60 - 90 minutes to warm up before doing any serious listening/reviewing because it takes that long for the SQ to come to a focus (as Kingwa will verify).

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 370
All of my solid state DAC's (4) are always left on, as are my preamps and headphone amps. My DAC's that utilize Tubes (2) are generally turned on when I get home. I wish my tubed units had a "Standby" mode that powered down the tube but kept the solid state circuitry powered up. All of my systems clearly sound better once they've been powered up for awhile.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #29 of 370
I might be interested as well, but most of my headphone gears are gone so I don't know if I qualify. 

Here's what I have at the moment: 

Source: Accuphase DP57
Amp: Headamp Pico Slim
Headphone: JH13 Pro
Preamp: Placette Audio Remote Volume Control
Studio Monitor: Adam S3A

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 370
Just an update: The Ref 7 will be on its way soon to GuyDebord in NY, where it will move West, ending up early next year in California with Uncle Erik (and moonboy403, whom I haven't contacted yet).  I don't see any reason, after that, why it can't head back east if there is still a lot of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back