Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800
Aug 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

esn89

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a dedicated DAC and I've had the v800 in my mind (to complement my v200).  However, I have been reading rave reviews about the Audio-gd's Reference 7.1 as being the new flagship DAC.  I was wondering how it compares to the v800 in all aspects.  (I've searched high and low for any threads like this one, nada)

I understand that they differ in cost, which is what I am hoping this thread can clarify; whether or not that extra 900 dollars for the Ref 7.1 will be noticeable.

Furthermore, I've always been weary about products "Made In China" crapping out on me.  With the v200, I can feel it's weight and solidness of the product, its as if I can use it as a cutting board or fight off robbers with it and still have it intact.

To paint you guys a better picture to help me, I plan on getting the Logitech SBT, coaxial -> v800/Ref 7.1) -> v200 -> RS1-i, 325-is, v6.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 42
FWIW, you could drop a Ref 7.1 on a V800 and squash it like a grape. Hope that helps.
wink_face.gif

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:
 With the v200, I can feel it's weight and solidness of the product, its as if I can use it as a cutting board or fight off robbers with it and still have it intact.

In this regard the Reference 7.1 is more like a tank, as opposed to a cutting board.

I haven't heard the V800 but I can definitely say the Reference is amazing, $2000 amazing? No idea.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 42
Subscribe.

Actually John Darko has made a small comparison between the two. Here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/02/lake-people-violectric-v800-dac/

But I would like to hear more impression too.

And please, never use any DAC as a chopping board :D

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 42
I'm getting seriously curious about the 7.1. I've tried some AGD gear I wasn't really thrilled with but I've heard nothing but good things about their flagship stuff. I'd like to compare it to my new Cambridge unit but at the price it would take to ship it back I'd have to hear one first. :D

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:
Subscribe.
Actually John Darko has made a small comparison between the two. Here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/02/lake-people-violectric-v800-dac/
But I would like to hear more impression too.
And please, never use any DAC as a chopping board
biggrin.gif

thank you, but i wish it was more in depth.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 42
I have the Ref 7.1 paired with the WA22 and the sound is amazing. The Ref 7.1 is an extremely revealing, neutral and clean DAC and I will not hesitate to give it my highest recommendation. I do not even feel the need to shop around for other DACs anymore. As for the price, I would say its more than worth it given its build quality, components used and that it easily outperforms many other DACs in its category. The Ref 7.1 performs in a different league altogether.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 42
Like what DarknightDK said, I can't upgrade this DAC so far.  Not even the 2x price Invicta can replace my Ref. 7.1.
The resolution, treble, mid, bass extension, bass control, sense of space, soundstage height, width, depth, layering, texture, tonality, yummy, very addictive ..................
This PCM1704UK is really something.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 42
my comment is: if your budget is enough , go to get the flagship product of audio-gd. it is another level to its mid  end product.

last week i had a chance to audition its older version: ref 1, though it only takes 24/96 and no optical input,
no  24/192, only 1 bnc and 1 rca input. After audition, i paid cash to own it immediately. 

i paired it with master 6 + coaxial with sbt  and it can give you what hi-end hifi can expect to have. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 42
Being a former owner of an AGD Reference 9, I was completely torn between the Ref 7.1 and the Eximus DP1. In the end I went with the DP1 to pair with my Zana and HD800/AD2Ks. Here's hoping that satisfies my dac upgrade-itis. Audio GD's flagship stuff is truly remarkable and I miss my Ref 9 dearly-it transformed my entire rig single-handedly when I owned it.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back