Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
May 6, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #121 of 482
Here is a pic of my Ref5's inputs. :D

May 6, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #123 of 482

Quote:
I spent 5 hours yesterday listening to the Reference 5. No critical listening, just the pleasure to listen to my favourite music in a new way.
I've been through some well known CDs: Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme, Koln Concert, other jazz recordings, and some classical music, many piano concerts by Mozart and Beethoven, string quartets by Shubert and Haydn, symphonies by Elgar and Brahms, and then pieces by Ravel and Prokofiev.
Well, the only thing I can say is I went to bed with a large grin on my face :)
The only critical comparison I did is between the CD player and the TEAC wireless player both used as transport, and I can honestly say the differences are minimal, if any. It seems the headstage is wider using the CD player, but guess I couldn't spot the transport in a blind test. So definitely I'm happy on that side!
More to come today :)

Nice.  You listen to the kind of music that will get the most benefit from the DAC, that's for sure.  I was just appreciating Horowitz in Moscow last night.

Quote:
Here is a pic of my Ref5's inputs. :D

Is that an extra optical input I spy?  What do the switches do too?

May 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #124 of 482
^ Yes. There are two extra inputs, one optical input and one BNC input. The two switches are for switching the inputs. The switch on the left is for the two optical inputs and the switch on the right is for the coax inputs. I also asked Kingwa to rewire the entire signal wires with DHC Nucleotide wires and swap the stock IEC inlet with the one used in the Ref1/7.

May 6, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #127 of 482
h.rav, out of curiosity how much did it all set u back in total cost to get the extra additions?

May 6, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #128 of 482

Quote:
^ Yes. There are two extra inputs, one optical input and one BNC input. The two switches are for switching the inputs. The switch on the left is for the two optical inputs and the switch on the right is for the coax inputs. I also asked Kingwa to rewire the entire signal wires with DHC Nucleotide wires and swap the stock IEC inlet with the one used in the Ref1/7.

Did you send Nucleotide wire in advance or Kingwa got it on him? Also whats the difference between IEC? Though they are all the same.

May 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #129 of 482
Mine came in as well yesterday.  I can totally agree with realmassey about the initial impressions.  I mainly listened to Diana Krall, Fourplay, Spyro Gyra and Special EFX last night but was up a little late cause it was hard to go to sleep, LOL  What I noticed is that the bass seems to be more defined and pure if that makes sense.  I also really noticed that the soundstage was larger in depth and just as wide as any DAC I have used.  Each instrument has it's place and there is like space around each instrument that really makes the sound isolated from each other.  Sometimes I could hear confusion with the instruments jumbling up on other DAC's but with the Ref 5 it appears that instrument seperation is precise.  There is absolutely not any background noise and I now can see where the word black comes from.  These are at least my first impressions and after doing some air conditioner work today on the house I will spend a few more hours with the new baby!!!!!  I am absolutely thrilled with this addition and I think Kingwa has a winner with the DAC.  Will report later. 

May 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #131 of 482
Yeah I let it warm for a couple hours and then I left it on all night ant it was the same this morning.  Man does this really make the ROC sing.  If it get's getter as it matures I can't wait because it is fine as it is.

May 6, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #134 of 482
Nice impressions! Woot.... liking it.   Hey noinimod, so your saying you have to unplug ACSS to use XLR or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back