Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jul 17, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #857 of 1,265
I'm confused. Aren't there 4 different NOS modes to cycle through?

From the main site for R-1: "4 type different algorithm NOS modes, and 3 types different oversampling modes"
It only has no function with the TDA firmwares. Kingwa's website is not the easiest to digest. Politely and with respect, it's incorrect and out of date in certain cases and tough to navigate.

The header text you quote above is not accurate for models shipped with the TDA firmware, which I believe is the default/standard now. You have only one NOS and OS 0, 2, 4, 8 with either TDA Asy (asynchronous) or TDA Syn (Synchronous)

Ask what firmware is installed on your unit. If it is a V3 firmware, then you have the 7 modes. NOS 1, 2, 3 and OS 0, 2, 4, 8

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #858 of 1,265
It only has no function with the TDA firmwares. Kingwa's website is not the easiest to digest. Politely and with respect, it's incorrect and out of date in certain cases and tough to navigate.

The header text you quote above is not accurate for models shipped with the TDA firmware, which I believe is the default/standard now. You have only one NOS and OS 0, 2, 4, 8 with either TDA Asy (asynchronous) or TDA Syn (Synchronous)

Ask what firmware is installed on your unit. If it is a V3 firmware, then you have the 7 modes. NOS 1, 2, 3 and OS 0, 2, 4, 8
I'm usually not so dense when it comes to this stuff, but, I have to admit, I am with this, so thank you for that perfectly concise break-down IAIMH! You too FedA!

So just to sum up; even though I can cycle through "modes" 1,2,3 under NOS mode, safe to assume that they're all just one mode?

-Mike
[Message clipped] View entire message

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #859 of 1,265
I'm usually not so dense when it comes to this stuff, but, I have to admit, I am with this, so thank you for that perfectly concise break-down IAIMH! You too FedA!

So just to sum up; even though I can cycle through "modes" 1,2,3 under NOS mode, safe to assume that they're all just one mode?

-Mike

[Message clipped] View entire message
My pleasure. I hope you love the gear! Getting through the ordering, shipping, and "manuals" are the tough parts. Glad you got it sorted that you can't use ACSS and XLR together. I just pop one or the other in and out.

You are correct. The number changes, but it is in fact, all one mode with the current versions of the TDA firmwares.

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #860 of 1,265
My pleasure. I hope you love the gear! Getting through the ordering, shipping, and "manuals" are the tough parts. Glad you got it sorted that you can't use ACSS and XLR together. I just pop one or the other in and out.

You are correct. The number changes, but it is in fact, all one mode with the current versions of the TDA firmwares.
Seems the same with the r7, i am surprised. Not enough room on the chip, maybe because of the tda simulation mode. One can revert to v3 however.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #861 of 1,265
Seems the same with the r7, i am surprised. Not enough room on the chip, maybe because of the tda simulation mode. One can revert to v3 however.
I can't be certain re: the reason. Possibly he's just settled on the one he likes best. I got a copy of the firmware for my R-8 that switches between Asy and Syn. I have not installed it yet. I feel like I'm pulling it out of the rack every week - LOL! It will be nice to have a push-button direct comparison to make it easier to A/B. I'm also curious if I get the noise with the NOS mode using the Syn in this version.

On a separate, but slightly related note, I got 3 of the 4 Xilinx chips in my R-1 updated to the latest firmware before Impact decided to flake out. Something in my chain and/or the software is very finicky. Tried different cables and DACLadder's trick on reducing the data rate. I'll let it sit in the corner for the night to think about what it's done. Maybe it will behave in the morning after it has a time out. Grrrrrrrr...

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #862 of 1,265
I can't be certain re: the reason. Possibly he's just settled on the one he likes best. I got a copy of the firmware for my R-8 that switches between Asy and Syn. I have not installed it yet. I feel like I'm pulling it out of the rack every week - LOL! It will be nice to have a push-button direct comparison to make it easier to A/B. I'm also curious if I get the noise with the NOS mode using the Syn in this version.

On a separate, but slightly related note, I got 3 of the 4 Xilinx chips in my R-1 updated to the latest firmware before Impact decided to flake out. Something in my chain and/or the software is very finicky. Tried different cables and DACLadder's trick on reducing the data rate. I'll let it sit in the corner for the night to think about what it's done. Maybe it will behave in the morning after it has a time out. Grrrrrrrr...
Good luck with this. How recent is this xilinx fw update?

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #864 of 1,265
I believe it was released earlier this year. Kingwa made some changes to address the DSD issues. I didn't want to go to the trouble of installing the new boards and clocks, but he sent me the latest firmware.
Interesting. So the new boards come with dsd Improvements via sw. And perhaps general improvements as well. I know some resistors are different too.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #865 of 1,265
Interesting. So the new boards come with dsd Improvements via sw. And perhaps general improvements as well. I know some resistors are different too.

I can verify that the DA-7 V2 boards have different resistor values than the DA-7 V1. I swapped my boards and kept the originals (just in case). Happy to post some pics of the values, but I think someone else covered those changes.

I cannot verify if any resistor values have changed for the R-1 boards (DA-8) when changed to V2. Perhaps someone else might know. I wanted to see how the transition went with the R-8. To be fair, if I had done both together, I'd have changed the clocks and boards in both units. However, I won't be changing the R-1 after the fact. The experience with the R-8 was rewarding, but challenging for me. Kingwa mentioned the R1 change may be slightly more difficult, so I will pass.

I can confirm the firmware of the Xilinx chips for the R-1 has changed, but I still can't get that last chip to update.... ARGH! The good news is that the unit is completely operational and sounds great on PCM... DSD ooooooops. Hopefully that chip will cooperate with more coaxing.

tl;dr - for others reading this and considering buying units now - don't worry about it. You're getting the latest and greatest. As mentioned by many, I'd very strongly recommend getting the main board (Accusilicon) clock upgrade. If you plan to use USB, then I'd spring for the Amanero board clock upgrade too. Really, I'd just do it anyway, since the cost he charges is quite good.

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #867 of 1,265
Now that I understand what all the settings do and how to set them accordingly, there's one last thing that's been plaguing me since I got the R1; I can't get "Synchronize" to stay at '0'. It seems that no matter what I do, it just reverts to '0'.

Website make it sounds like it will 'Dither' all inputs while active. I don't want that.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #868 of 1,265
Now that I understand what all the settings do and how to set them accordingly, there's one last thing that's been plaguing me since I got the R1; I can't get "Synchronize" to stay at '0'. It seems that no matter what I do, it just reverts to '0'.

Website make it sounds like it will 'Dither' all inputs while active. I don't want that.

[edited to add] I'm assuming that you mean that you want it at 0 and that the 3rd number reverts to 1.

When it quits blinking, it just means you're on input 1. USB. :wink:

Like I was saying - the manuals on line are (with respect) not as easy for those that read English. My guess is that the Chinese version is flawless.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #870 of 1,265
I can't disconnect one of my ACSS cable from R2R1 output. Seems like it's stuck. Anyone encountered such thing before?
il happens with some of my cables sometimes. Try pushing harder on the release and pull harder too on the connector while holding the back of the dac. Make sure you pull straight. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back