Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Oct 22, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #616 of 1,265
Interesting, there is only 1 GB RAM but it may not be loading entire file to RAM. I use euphony now which also sounds fantastic, rebooting from Macbok air. They also have Volumio implemented on the minidsp from HK. Have u tried comparing volumio with euphony? Do u use volumio headless via ipad or use monitor to control?
No comparo done with Euphony. Yes, i am using the web interface on my ipad. There are platform alternatives, like a mini pc offered by volumio.org. Or you can buy pretty much any pc supporting the x86 architecture.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #624 of 1,265
Have you tried with headphones?

The main problem with my headphone setup is i would need a better extension cable, and also a better balanced cable for the sound to have excellent balance like with the single-ended cable that came with the he-560. So any of my comments about listening on hps are to be taken with a grain salt. But, that said, using no extension and the single-ended hifiman cable, all is fine. Great sound with Volumio. I need approx. 14 feet of cable overall. Any affordable suggestion will be welcome. Another concern with the he-560 is they change sound when you have a blanket full of static electricity on your shoulders, which was also the case last night.

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #625 of 1,265
Yes. I played a dsd 256 file and alac hires files too, 94/24 and 192/14. No issue...

Are you sure you have played a DSD256 file on Volumio natively with the AGD DAC? I have three different DACs, all using Amanero: R2R 11, NFB-11.28 and Yulong Sabre DA8. I can only play DSD256 files on Windows. Volumio runs on a very optimized Linux and should be limited to DSD128 (according to Amanero specs). If you were able to play a DSD256 file, it is very likely you did not set Volumio to stream DSD to the DAC, then the DSD file is being converted to PCM.
Could you please double check your Volumio playback settings to confirm the DSD playback?

Edit: I've just tested a DSD256 file in my Volumio with the AGD NFB-11.28. It plays it OK, but I believe it converts to PCM when it finds out the DAC will not support the DSD playback. As the NFB-11.28 does not have any indication of the source type, I cannot know for sure it is DSD of PCM.
I'll try the same file with the Yulong Sabre DA8 that has a display the indicates the source type.
BTW, my Volumio DSD playback is set to DoP. I'll change to Native and test again.

Edit 2: I tested the same track in DSD128 and DSD256. With Yulong DA8 and Volumio DSD Playback set do DoP, the DSD128 file is played back in DSD and the DSD256 file is converted to PCM 384kHz. With DSD playback set to Direct DSD, both files are converted to PCM 384. I believe the same happens with the NFB-11.28. The converted file playback audio level is a little bit lower than the native DSD one. With the AGD I noticed the same level change I have noticed with the Yulong DA8. When both files are converted, there is no audio level difference. I can tell that only the DSD128 file played back with Volumio DSD playback set to DoP is really played back as DSD because it sounds louder. This happens for both DACs.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #626 of 1,265
No comparo done with Euphony. Yes, i am using the web interface on my ipad. There are platform alternatives, like a mini pc offered by volumio.org. Or you can buy pretty much any pc supporting the x86 architecture.
I see they also sell a small streamer ready made with SSD. Can u boot a macbook using A SD,there seems to be no USB boot option either?

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #627 of 1,265
Are you sure you have played a DSD256 file on Volumio natively with the AGD DAC? I have three different DACs, all using Amanero: R2R 11, NFB-11.28 and Yulong Sabre DA8. I can only play DSD256 files on Windows. Volumio runs on a very optimized Linux and should be limited to DSD128 (according to Amanero specs). If you were able to play a DSD256 file, it is very likely you did not set Volumio to stream DSD to the DAC, then the DSD file is being converted to PCM.
Could you please double check your Volumio playback settings to confirm the DSD playback?

Edit: I've just tested a DSD256 file in my Volumio with the AGD NFB-11.28. It plays it OK, but I believe it converts to PCM when it finds out the DAC will not support the DSD playback. As the NFB-11.28 does not have any indication of the source type, I cannot know for sure it is DSD of PCM.
I'll try the same file with the Yulong Sabre DA8 that has a display the indicates the source type.
BTW, my Volumio DSD playback is set to DoP. I'll change to Native and test again.

Edit 2: I tested the same track in DSD128 and DSD256. With Yulong DA8 and Volumio DSD Playback set do DoP, the DSD128 file is played back in DSD and the DSD256 file is converted to PCM 384kHz. With DSD playback set to Direct DSD, both files are converted to PCM 384. I believe the same happens with the NFB-11.28. The converted file playback audio level is a little bit lower than the native DSD one. With the AGD I noticed the same level change I have noticed with the Yulong DA8. When both files are converted, there is no audio level difference. I can tell that only the DSD128 file played back with Volumio DSD playback set to DoP is really played back as DSD because it sounds louder. This happens for both DACs.

I have it set to DoP. I have no mean to know if a conversion is done. Only, there is a pop occuring when the dac changes playback mode to dsd, which occurs playing the dsd256 file. But from what you say, i am not 100% sure. There is normally no pop upon pcm rate changes, that i know.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #628 of 1,265
I see they also sell a small streamer ready made with SSD. Can u boot a macbook using A SD,there seems to be no USB boot option either?
You can boot from any media if you computer allows it. With a mac, you have to hold some keys upon restarting. You end up in a menu where you can select the usb drive as the boot disk. However, there are some drivers issues with Vokumio and macs. Run a google search.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #630 of 1,265
hello to all!!!
Are R-1 Owners Here?
Which DACs did you compare it to?
DSD still clicks when switching?

I have one on the way. Will get in in less than 2 weeks if all goes well.

It should sound like the R28 DAC. You can find more comparisons to it already than with the R1. I don't know why there are so little written about the R1...seems good and attractive to me if you want a separate DAC. Will pair nicely with my NFB1 amp.

About DSD, I will quickly find out if there are any severe errors, but from what I could gather the issue is minimal or solved at this point. The biggest issue was with DSD background noise and that was firmware related. Will provide feedback if I find something worth mentioning here.

Cheers,
W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back