Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,593

gLer

No DD, no DICE
Hey guys,

Audio-Gd has just released a very unique product that combines a fully balanced discrete NOS/OS ladder dac with a super-powerful balanced and SE headamp and preamp.

It seems to be a logical combination of the company’s fully balanced NFB-1 amp (with the unique addition of an equal-powered ‘super SE’ output and balanced output) and R2R-1 fully balanced discrete ladder dac in a powerful all-in-one box.

Full details here: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN.htm

At the price this could be a game changer. Inviting impressions and feedback on this thread.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 1,593
Love it! It's got everything I could want and the same DAC sections as the R2R. POWER! Blimey, over 9W into low impedances and still plenty left over for the 600 ohm cans. As beautifully built as always.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 1,593
Well it’s not a compact AIO that’s for sure.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 1,593
Hey guys,
Audio-Gd has just released a very unique product that combines a fully balanced discrete NOS/OS ladder dac with a super-powerful balanced and SE headamp and preamp.

Well done, gLer, that posted a thread!

Very tasty product for a competitive price. Well done Audio-Gd!
If I had more free money, I would buy it. .....but i hadn't ....that's a pity...

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 1,593
Subscribed.

This is a bit weird while few month ago Kingwa said there were no plans to release a combo unit with R2R Modules...

(Ordered my NFB-11.38 Ltd Edition, by the way)
Yes indeed! This came as a total surprise to me as well. Kingwa did say it was because there was no way to fit the balanced modules along with an amp into an NFB-28 enclosure. I’m glad he found a solution - it ticks every single box I have for an endgame all-in-one, plus a few extras.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 1,593
Yep... That could explain why the R2R-28 is much larger than a NFB-28/29!
It does indeed. I think it’s the perfect size actually. Looks like a mini Master - just without the bulk of the Master series. And I like the small refinements, like colour-matched screws. Definitely one of the more refined looking AGD products. If it sounds as good as the other 1-series products it’s going to be a real winner! (Kingwa told me it will have the same sound quality as the NFB-1/R2R-1 stack, just with fewer input and output options).

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 1,593
Hi,

I have been waiting for this one! Just ordered one with TCXO's.

/Jan

So, what's the "all-in" price with the TCXOs, Paypal, and shipping? Looks like it's a hefty $83 to ship this to the US... ouch.
I'm tempted to replace my S-19 and C-2 combo.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 1,593
Looks good
@ gLer ..how's DSD playback on this monstrosity ?
Hi - not sure, it was only announced yesterday! As far as I know only Kingwa has heard it :p

If I were to guess, I’d say it’s probably as good as the R2R-1 for DSD playback, which by most accounts is excellent. I’ll let you know if and when I get to hear it for myself.

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 1,593
So, what's the "all-in" price with the TCXOs, Paypal, and shipping? Looks like it's a hefty $83 to ship this to the US... ouch.
I'm tempted to replace my S-19 and C-2 combo.
Not sure, but $83 isn’t too bad when you consider the size and weight of this beast. It’s not a Master, but it’s not far off!

Can’t wait for folks to start receiving theirs so we can get stuck into real impressions...

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 1,593
I just bough NFB11.38 If I know this guy would come out I should buy this guy instead
Yes it was a total surprise. I was about to buy the NFB-1/R2R-1 stack. Glad I didn’t!

That said the R-28 is about $650 more than the NFB-11.38, so not exactly the same price range or product class. Totally different sound as well - Delta Sigma vs Ladder dac. A better comparison would be the R2R-11 and R-28.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back