Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Sep 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #2,431 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still use the stock SE not balance yet. Not sure there is a point to balance it if use back the min XLR jack.

In my experience - there IS a point...
k701smile.gif

Sorry for jumping into Phoenix party, but since Roc is "baby Phoenix" (or "person Phoenix" whichever you prefer) perhaps my Roc experiences would relate to the "proper" Phoenix ones...

There IS audible difference when driving K701 balanced. I am not referring to volume increase here - the "hard to behave" K701 are "obeying better" to amp's sonic commands when balanced. Hard for me to describe - they respond "faster" and there are no sonic "voids" where K701 would "ignore" the signal sent to them and "fill in" or "miss out" with something we (or at least I) perceive as K701 sound signature... When balanced K701 are "on a tighter leash" and everything they do good - they do slightly better.

...not to mention that if you own a Phoenix (Roc) and drive your phones only in SE mode - you are using just 2 out of available 4 amp channels...
eek.gif

...which raises a good question: If you burned-in your Phoenix (Roc) with SE headphones - are all 4 channels properly burned-in?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #2,433 of 3,352
Tighter leash is the perfect way to describe what balanced did to my headphones. Also, it seems like left and right are more separated, that is especially audible in my headphones because they have internal ground wires that meet 3 inches from the left driver and 20 inches from the right driver, much less crosstalk from separated grounds from balancing it seems.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2,434 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... much less crosstalk from separated grounds from balancing it seems.

Eeer... technically, there is no ground in balanced configuration - all "four wires" are active.
wink.gif

I concur with better channel separation statement.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #2,436 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience - there IS a point...
k701smile.gif

Sorry for jumping into Phoenix party, but since Roc is "baby Phoenix" (or "person Phoenix" whichever you prefer) perhaps my Roc experiences would relate to the "proper" Phoenix ones...

There IS audible difference when driving K701 balanced. I am not referring to volume increase here - the "hard to behave" K701 are "obeying better" to amp's sonic commands when balanced. Hard for me to describe - they respond "faster" and there are no sonic "voids" where K701 would "ignore" the signal sent to them and "fill in" or "miss out" with something we (or at least I) perceive as K701 sound signature... When balanced K701 are "on a tighter leash" and everything they do good - they do slightly better.

...not to mention that if you own a Phoenix (Roc) and drive your phones only in SE mode - you are using just 2 out of available 4 amp channels...
eek.gif

...which raises a good question: If you burned-in your Phoenix (Roc) with SE headphones - are all 4 channels properly burned-in?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think yours 701 is solder in the cable. What I mean for 702 there is a stock cable internally cross over to the right cup.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #2,437 of 3,352
Quote:

I think yours 701 is solder in the cable. What I mean for 702 there is a stock cable internally cross over to the right cup.

K701 originally have 4 wire cable hardwired into left cup. Two wires are connected to the left driver, other two are soldered to two metal headband wires through which the signal goes to the right driver. There is no need to recable K701 for balanced configuration - it is enough to cut the original wire and reterminate it with male 4 pin XLR connector. I recabled my K701 to "Y" configuration because I didn't wanted to drive the signal to right driver through headband rods.

Not sure about K702... Does it have 3 pin cable connector? If so - for going balanced it should also be recabled. If K702 have 4 pin cable/connector - you just need to cut the cable and reterminate it with male 4 pin XLR.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #2,438 of 3,352
I get continuity between the screws of the amp box and psu box, anyone else? I found out it was because of the new data cable I got, the outer shell and pin 9 are grounds. I tried insulating pin 9 and the shell but it doesn't play so I'm pretty sure you need it, but doesn't the fact that it combines both box's grounds bad? Maybe if I cut the pin 9 wire in the middle of the cable it'll stop the ground loop and I can still play. I would ask Kingwa except I don't want to bother him and since he might misunderstand what I'm asking due to language barrier.

edit: Okay I did send him an email hehe, got itchy fingers to try to remove the ground on my data cable.

edit 2: Fast response from Kingwa, he says not to worry so nm
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2,439 of 3,352
Well, after Les talked so highly about his IR thrmometer I finally bought one he recommended off of eBay. Nice little toy with lots of little uses. Here are my temp readings, and under what circumstance I got them:

Open window behind rack, fan blowing on audio rack: 65F ambient, PSU and Amp sections were 80F.
Window closed, fan blowing on audio rack:75F ambient, PSU 86F, amp 87F. (Likely due to the fact that the fan blows across the PSU section first, and it's raised up another inch off the rack.)
Window closed, no fan or air movement: 75F ambient, PSU 105F, Amp 97F.

Never gets hot enough to worry about longevity, and runs WAY, WAY cooler than many other amps. The transformer on the 6BX7 enabled SinglePower Supra is so hot it hurts and I can only keep my hand on it for a split second. Next time I move the Phoenix and set it up I'll get some temp readings from the tubes, chassis and transformer.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2,440 of 3,352
Thanks SE...interesting readings. I would bet my setup runs fairly close to yours as I consider my amp to be firmly in the warm camp and no where near hot (as I understand it). It likely has a lot to do with 2 factors A) side by side chassis config as opposed to stacked and B) an open air rack space that has lots of air circulation on the top and sides.

Peete.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2,441 of 3,352
cripes double post...

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #2,444 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after Les talked so highly about his IR thrmometer I finally bought one he recommended off of eBay. Nice little toy with lots of little uses. Here are my temp readings, and under what circumstance I got them:

Open window behind rack, fan blowing on audio rack: 65F ambient, PSU and Amp sections were 80F.
Window closed, fan blowing on audio rack:75F ambient, PSU 86F, amp 87F. (Likely due to the fact that the fan blows across the PSU section first, and it's raised up another inch off the rack.)
Window closed, no fan or air movement: 75F ambient, PSU 105F, Amp 97F.

Never gets hot enough to worry about longevity, and runs WAY, WAY cooler than many other amps. The transformer on the 6BX7 enabled SinglePower Supra is so hot it hurts and I can only keep my hand on it for a split second. Next time I move the Phoenix and set it up I'll get some temp readings from the tubes, chassis and transformer.

sorry, wait a second...you purpose bought this just to verify the phoenix temperature? [jaw drop (not sure any icon for this)]

maybe we should suggest to kingwa to build in temperature sensor and the reading at the LCD display. It is very common on overclocking PC.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #2,445 of 3,352
Quote:

sorry, wait a second...you purpose bought this just to verify the phoenix temperature? [jaw drop (not sure any icon for this)]

Nope, just gave me the excuse to do it. I wanted it for other temp readings also, and they finally amounted to enough to warrant spending $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back