Audio-gd NFB-7
Dec 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 156
The HE series are the ultimate from Audio-gd.

Macrog

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 156
The HE series is the High End series and features outboard regenerative power supplies. Very nice but obviously more expensive and run hot so cant be left on all the time.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 156
Not much available on these HE units . No real reviews and comparisons . AFAIK just a seperate box with regenerated power , $1000 extra added to the unit of your choice . I e-mailed them some time back to order a NFB7 HE . Firstly , they were not very enthusiastic about trying to sell this , they offered no description or spec info, and stated there would be a very minor improvement in SQ , further , they were almost apologetic about the higher shipping costs due to weight. 

For all I know the unit  could sound amazing and at $2500 could be a serious contender in this  latest ESS Sabre dac range .

Audio gd does not blow their own horn and are very cost conscious which is understandable . 

Maybe their Chinese websites carry more info on these units but there is just zip on English sites, AFAIK.

As it is now one may get more info on $6/10k dacs like Weiss 202 / new Metric Halo and others and drop substantially more $ on these because it is a more secure/informed  option.

I love Audio gd gear and would love to  support them on higher end gear above the current reference level should they be able to deliver, but at present they seem "tentative " to say so.

Maybe Kingwa is just being very honest about his abilities to raise the bar , or he does not want to get into a BS segment.

I feel guilty about getting something for nothing and Audio gd gear , because of their high performance/ price ratio makes me feel a little so , but they have had an effect on the market and more and more offerings with this ratio are seen.

It would be great for me too , to get some impressions  of what they can put out there.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 156
I could be wrong, but I feel Kingwa is worried about reliability with an extra unit providing clean power. Or that it is just overkill...
I think his power supplies are very well filtered and shouldn't be over sensitive to noise. I do use their Power Supply Filter Outlet for my now all Audio-gd system. And I prefer the system with power filtering than without.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 156
that is so nice. have u  heard the ref 1 or ref 7 or 5 series ?

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

I ordered one and will report back.

Very cool! Let us know how you like it.

I have a Reference 5 DSP and love it, but i've been itching to try the NFB-7 lately...

I have never heard any of the Audio-gd dacs but decided to take a leap based on the high praise I have read for the Ref 7. I chose the NFB-7 because I am curious about the Sabre dac and it is a little cheaper than the Ref 7. Also I am not sure about the availability of the Ref 7 now.  I live in Manhattan. Perhaps we can compare it to the Ref 5. I currently have a Neko D100. The first test will be the NFB-7 against the Neko. I anticipate it will be shipped and received next week.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 156

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

I ordered one and will report back.

Very cool! Let us know how you like it.

I have a Reference 5 DSP and love it, but i've been itching to try the NFB-7 lately...

I have never heard any of the Audio-gd dacs but decided to take a leap based on the high praise I have read for the Ref 7. I chose the NFB-7 because I am curious about the Sabre dac and it is a little cheaper than the Ref 7. Also I am not sure about the availability of the Ref 7 now.  I live in Manhattan. Perhaps we can compare it to the Ref 5. I currently have a Neko D100. The first test will be the NFB-7 against the Neko. I anticipate it will be shipped and received next week.

Yes, that's a great idea!
I also have an Audio-gd Digital Interface that provides excellent USB to S/PDIF conversion from my mac mini to the Ref 5 DAC.
My current system now is all Audio-gd using ACSS: mac mini -> Audio-gd -> "fat" Thor speakers, good stuff...

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 156

Have you received the unit. right out of the box, how it sounds ?

Quote:
. I anticipate it will be shipped and received next week.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 156
Unfortunately it appears that the NFB-7 has now been discontinued.  Good luck if you already have an order with them as it looks like they won't be accepting any new orders.

From the front page of their website:

Quote:
[size=medium]Inform:[/size]

[size=x-small]     Now we had made a hardy decide but not this is not our intention ,we have to discontinued all the products which ES9019 based.
     We had encounter the clock lost of the ES9018 PCM mode , although we had spend a lot of times for fix this problem.
     Now we have 3 chips applied in our DAC, they are:pCM1704, WM8741 and ES9018. All of them are the hi-end grade D/A and both are excellent. But we can't support order every chips each quantity 2000 pcs because this is a huge cost to us. So consider the sound quality (taste of mine) and the market feedback , we choice give up the ES9018 now .

About the customer who had ordered the NFB-1 ,NFB-7 ,NFB-10ES and NFB-11 ,do not worry about this , we will build the enough products for all customers who have place the order.

Kingwa[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back