Audio-GD NFB-3 (2014) ES9018 DAC
Jun 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #121 of 207
Thanks so much for the insights. I'll see to it when I get some spare time. I just have never updated a firmware before, so I don't know what you mean by 'Flash the new firmware' The rest seems simple enough.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #122 of 207
  Thanks so much for the insights. I'll see to it when I get some spare time. I just have never updated a firmware before, so I don't know what you mean by 'Flash the new firmware' The rest seems simple enough.

It sounds worse than it is.  The documentation will describe it pretty well.  Basically you just open up the supplied application, it should find the device automatically.  Then just open the new firmware in the tool and hit Start.  Wait for it to tell you that it successfully completed.

Look over the supplied doc and you should be fine.  Ask away if you are unsure about anything.

Since you have a NFB-3(2014), when you have a chance, could you check out my issue with playing a video?  I'm assuming it is just an issue with the drivers because it works fine when playing games, streaming videos from YouTube, etc.  Just want another person's experience to confirm it is the same.  Basically just fire up a video (.avi, .mkv, etc.) and hit pause.  Listen for the muting click (there shouldn't be any).  Wait a minute or so and hit unpause.  You should now hear the relay click but it will actually mute the sound and you won't get any.  You'll have to stop and then start the video to get the sound to play again.

Thanks

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #124 of 207
Originally Posted by SidiousX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have chosen DHL which is fast enough. Any more express than this, would cost you dearly.

It actually is the express shipping dhl offers. On saturday I recieved the notifcation about the shipment. DHL picked up the parcel yesterday on the morning and it already arrived at frankfurt today. It should be here tommorow.
The following weekend is a also bit longer for me, due to a public holiday on monday. Perfect timing!

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #127 of 207
I have to admit I only bought it out of curiousity after finding out Kingwa's ACSS was compatible with SATRI. It is relatively cheap and come with free TCXO clocks. Kingwa kindly provided me with the right cables so I am now a pure current path type of guy. Voltage is so last year. 
wink.gif

I have only listened to it for a couple of hours so far but I am really impressed with the overall presentation.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #129 of 207
I have owned quite a few DACs including the Metrum. But it has been a while now and I am probably the wrong person to ask as after comparing quite a few blind and level matched I came to the conclusion that any properly designed DAC should be indistinguishable.
I am using a TEAC 501 and I still plan to compare it to the NFB3 soon. Thanks to JRiver linked zones I should be able to feed both the same signal through USB and use the SATRI/Voltage switch on the Bakoon to quickly compare.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #130 of 207
  I have to admit I only bought it out of curiousity after finding out Kingwa's ACSS was compatible with SATRI. It is relatively cheap and come with free TCXO clocks. Kingwa kindly provided me with the right cables so I am now a pure current path type of guy. Voltage is so last year. 
wink.gif

I have only listened to it for a couple of hours so far but I am really impressed with the overall presentation.

Current transmision methology is old tech, but Kingwa have outright copied the best solutions in the world - even down to the model number, and tuned it. Combined it with the absolutely best components, and sold it for less than 10% what a us/eu brand would have to charge for it. 10% is on the high side - its probably more like 8%. lol. People dont have an idea of how much they actually get - it goes far beyond the component cost.

Not fair perhaps, it is stealing, but thats how it is. Innovation in China is something different than in US. And Kingwa have added good solutions like the DSP for the 1704 - he just makes sure nobody can copy it, like a stack of transistors and resistors. lol. Innovation takes another path. And beeing able to copy the best and tune it is progress in itself.

I am glad for it, because before audio-gd and hifiman high-end hifi had turned into something crazy expensive stuff with lots of expensive cabinet, colorfull exotic capacitors and marketing like reviews in magazines. Sound would lose to TV and surround if that continued.

Find the lead in this picture of a new audio-gd product - and take a google.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Compass%202/Compass24.JPG

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #132 of 207
Yep I agree, the casing needs work. It really does look cheap.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #133 of 207
I'm China, copying is seen as an honor made to the original designer. Different culture.

Now if they could copy a new case design...
tongue.gif

I actually also thought it was nice of Kingwa to show where he copied it from, now he actually had copied it :)

Regarding copying the cabiniet its actually far more complicated, because it demands production competences that is relatively rare in China. You need to have excellent tool engineers, and good technicians and higly skill labor for production. It will come in years ofcource. But the sense and understanding for +/- deviation is not the same as the sense for copying. And it especially shows in audio-gd product, they are crazy unprecise and not a beauty. But who cares, its not the looks that matters, its the inside. Its hifi, not a wife.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #134 of 207
  I actually also thought it was nice of Kingwa to show where he copied it from, now he actually had copied it :)

Regarding copying the cabiniet its actually far more complicated, because it demands production competences that is relatively rare in China. You need to have excellent tool engineers, and good technicians and higly skill labor for production. It will come in years ofcource. But the sense and understanding for +/- deviation is not the same as the sense for copying. And it especially shows in audio-gd product, they are crazy unprecise and not a beauty. But who cares, its not the looks that matters, its the inside. Its hifi, not a wife.

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back