Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Mar 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #526 of 1,577
On January 17th, I placed my order, and paid for, the NFB-2.  At the time of order, the ship date was to be February 15th as posted on the Audio Gd web page.

I've inquired about my shipping status a couple of times since placing this order, via email.  My most recent communication from Edwin was that my NFB-2 would be "shipping this week". 

Since the original February 15th date came, and went, with no shipping commitment or update from Audio-Gd, getting Edwin's email of the NFB-2 "shipping this week" was fantastic news!  Sadly, that week has come and gone with no further updates.

I'm a patient person.  I can understand how an an overwhelming amount of orders can skew estimated production and shipping times. 

Still, to all interested buyers of these fine dacs, one caveat:  be prepared to wait a long, long, long time after you part with your money.

I am starting to grow impatient.  51 days and counting.  Anyone else in the same boat?

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #527 of 1,577
Where on their web page do they show updates?  I just ordered NFB-3.  I guess I should plan to wait too.  The NFB-3 seems to be more in demand than the NFB-2 being cheaper. 

Quote:
On January 17th, I placed my order, and paid for, the NFB-2.  At the time of order, the ship date was to be February 15th as posted on the Audio Gd web page.

I've inquired about my shipping status a couple of times since placing this order, via email.  My most recent communication from Edwin was that my NFB-2 would be "shipping this week". 

Since the original February 15th date came, and went, with no shipping commitment or update from Audio-Gd, getting Edwin's email of the NFB-2 "shipping this week" was fantastic news!  Sadly, that week has come and gone with no further updates.

I'm a patient person.  I can understand how an an overwhelming amount of orders can skew estimated production and shipping times. 

Still, to all interested buyers of these fine dacs, one caveat:  be prepared to wait a long, long, long time after you part with your money.

I am starting to grow impatient.  51 days and counting.  Anyone else in the same boat?

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #528 of 1,577

Quote:
Where on their web page do they show updates?  I just ordered NFB-3.  I guess I should plan to wait too.  The NFB-3 seems to be more in demand than the NFB-2 being cheaper. 

Upper right corner: consignment
http://www.audio-gd.com/ConsignmentGlobal.htm

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #530 of 1,577

Someone else in this thread speculated that the promotionally-priced NFB-3 was Kingwa's way of clearing out his inventory of torroidal power transformers, Evox capacitors, and other components he does not plan to use in future designs. That sounded reasonable from my perspective, and Kingwa himself has been quoted as saying "NFB-3 more bang for buck."

The $150 difference would not mean as much if the NFB-3 were not available for $300, meaning an entry-level customer like myself would have to budget 50% more cash outlay to get the NFB-2, and might be hard-pressed to hear any actual difference between the two units on 99% of the music we pass through the two DACs. So it is an easy way to get into a high-end DAC on a low-end budget.

As for hearing the effect of all the independently regulated and filtered power supply stages of either the NFB-2 or 3, they would be most clearly audible in very "demanding" music with complex waveforms across the entire musical spectrum, and a lot of dynamic range. Something like this:

As for my own unit:

Dear (attenuated 3db),
Your NFB-3 now is final 3days test and brun in for confirm the gear is no problem,that at test and brun in finish can shipping it out
Edwin
在2011-03-08 23:10:03

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #531 of 1,577
Me 2, although i ordered NFB-3 with some customization. I was recently told that it will be shipped in mid March. The delay was caused by the Chinese New Year holiday (it's long and everything stops), and some parts shortage. Hopefully all the waiting will be worthy at the end. 

Quote:

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #533 of 1,577

Quote:
Upper right corner: consignment
http://www.audio-gd.com/ConsignmentGlobal.htm

There hasn't been an update since march 2nd!

I've just asked for a shipping update for my NFB2. I ordered 31/1 with some DIY kit. I was prepared for the fact that I had to wait quite a bit before the order would be shipped. If I wanted quicker delivery, I should have ordered with AmpCity. 

I don't expect that I will receive my order any sooner than the end of march. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #535 of 1,577
Has anyone compared or have any thoughts on the NFB-3 vs the Gamma2 DAC?  I didn't bring up anything in a search but they seem like good competitors because they are both about equal in price. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #537 of 1,577
Not to worry guys, just send a reminder from time to time for an update on where your particular model is in the process. Shipping times depending on Customs can be anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks....I've had stuff take 3 days and other gear nearly 3 weeks in transit..FWIW

Peete.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #538 of 1,577

Quote:
Dear (attenuated 3db),
Your NFB-3 now is final 3days test and brun in for confirm the gear is no problem,that at test and brun in finish can shipping it out
Edwin
在2011-03-08 23:10:03

Funny, I got exactly the same message (except for NFB-3 being NFB-2)!
Including the 'brun in'....... In Dutch this sounds like someone who is getting a tan while lying on the beach
biggrin.gif
. I think we'll be receiving some totally relaxed NFBs!

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #539 of 1,577

Quote:
Funny, I got exactly the same message (except for NFB-3 being NFB-2)!
Including the 'brun in'....... In Dutch this sounds like someone who is getting a tan while lying on the beach
biggrin.gif
. I think we'll be receiving some totally relaxed NFBs!

lol this appears to be like his final reply before they really ship it.Edwin's reply to my mails for the past two weeks has been consistent - "Shipping this week"
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #540 of 1,577

Quote:
I am not a believer of reviewing eqipment on a song by song basis but on a song you have heard enough times you know exactly how it sounds and what to listen for.  James Taylor's "Carolina in my mind" and "Something in the way she moves" has excellent acoustic guitar and intimate vocals so that is what I am A/B'ing with.  I feel the same way that people have been commenting about with the sabre dac vs WM8741 with these modules.  DIR9001 is edgy, "all" details come through, it feels like I am actually there hearing finger movements and micro details.  WM8805 is rounded off, I can understand why Kingwa uses "smoother" in the description because that is exactly what it is.  Honestly... unless you need 192k, there is no reason to get the WM8805...  unless you dislike a more enunciated sound.

MasZakry nailed it here, I have been listening to both modules in my NFB-2. In a very resolving system the DIR9001 has the edge in micro details. The WM8805 is indeed "smoother" as described, not warmer but smoother. They both give the dac the same addicting analog sound but the DIR9001 excels in the last word of resolution. The DIR9001 is staying in my dac till i have a need for 192hz playback. Very pleased with unit as it has surpassed the level of sonics i was getting with my upgraded Paradisea. These respond very well to aftermarket power cords, i would not plug this thing in with the throw away pc supplied. I am using a WyWire Juice2 pc and definately took the unit up a notch in performance over 14awg Volex pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back