Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Feb 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #481 of 1,577

Quote:
Just ordered a NFB-3 with the DIR9001 interface, can't wait to get it! I'm curious what difference a decent dedicated DAC can make.

It'll make a substantial difference compared to the source you are currently using. That Asgard will sing.....
bigsmile_face.gif

If I may make a suggestion if the Essence STX has an RCA SPDIF digital output on it use that connection to your NFB-3 and make sure you use a half decent (that doesn't mean it has to be expensive, just well built) 75 ohm coax SPDIF cable...use the USB input on the NFB-3 for the Cowan I9 provided the USB output of the I9 bypasses it's internal DAC (in effect turning it into a transport like your STX card's digital out jack). Hopefully it'll allow that without having to buy a special dock (like the Wadia for the IPOD) if there is one for the Cowan. I know very little about MP3 players/IPODS etc so please excuse my ignorance WRT finer points of operation/options.

Peete.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #482 of 1,577
You can't connect cowon i9 directly to nfb-3. A few cowons come with a dock connector that has rca spdif, but it sounds bad, probably because of the thin wire. RCA spdif from essence stx may sound better than usb out.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #483 of 1,577

Quote:
You can't connect cowon i9 directly to nfb-3. A few cowons come with a dock connector that has rca spdif, but it sounds bad, probably because of the thin wire. RCA spdif from essence stx may sound better than usb out.

Not all cowons are bad,I find spdif out on my cowon q5 to be pretty decent and btw my nfb-3 will be here mostly next week,I'm excited!

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #484 of 1,577

Quote:

If I may make a suggestion if the Essence STX has an RCA SPDIF digital output on it use that connection to your NFB-3 and make sure you use a half decent (that doesn't mean it has to be expensive, just well built) 75 ohm coax SPDIF cable..

If understand this correctly you say you rate the spdif output on the xonar stx above the usb input on the dac, would this also be the case for the xonar d2x?

Havent tried the spdif input yet since i was under the impression my xonar was broken, which turned out to be the filter in my speaker acting up.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #485 of 1,577

Quote:
Not all cowons are bad,I find spdif out on my cowon q5 to be pretty decent and btw my nfb-3 will be here mostly next week,I'm excited!

Cowons have awesome headphone output compared to most mp3 players, but I didn't like the cowon q5w's spdif output via dock cable. I thought I heard the same spazzy hyperdetail I think is characteristic of thin spdif cables. I thought about modding the dock connector with a thicker wire but gave the cowon q5w to a friend instead.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #486 of 1,577

Quote:
*sigh* another week till my NFB-2 is completed...and no idea when my DI will be done.

It's worth the wait A.

However, since some folks have not been able to get any new NFB-2/3 love due to the wait, and I started this thread last year, it's not fair that we are enjoying this all by ourseleves, as of late.

So, I just turned off my NFB-3-- C-2-- A5s.  It would not be cranked up again until the new orders have been delivered...lol

In the meantime, I'll settle with the FUN(A)--DI--A5s.....Gotta keep it A-GD...lol....Good times....

A little Markus Schulz (Toronto '09 & Las Vegas '10) before stepping out on a Saturday night in So.Fla....

Good times indeed...

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #487 of 1,577

Quote:
It's worth the wait A.

However, since some folks have not been able to get any new NFB-2/3 love due to the wait, and I started this thread last year, it's not fair that we are enjoying this all by ourseleves, as of late.

So, I just turned off my NFB-3-- C-2-- A5s.  It would not be cranked up again until the new orders have been delivered...lol

In the meantime, I'll settle with the FUN(A)--DI--A5s.....Gotta keep it A-GD...lol....Good times....

A little Markus Schulz (Toronto '09 & Las Vegas '10) before stepping out on a Saturday night in So.Fla....

Good times indeed...

beerchug.gif

Thanks for your silent support!  I haven't been giving my amp much love since I sold my old DAC in anticipation of the NFB-2.  It's been a long month, with no shipping in sight; soon, perhaps...

Enjoy your So. Florida night out.  It's a brisk 32 degrees here tonight.
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #488 of 1,577
It's worth the wait A.

Good times indeed...

beerchug.gif

Mine is on its way! Solidarity, and keep the faith, fellow NFB-2/3 owners-to-be!

Dear (attenuted_3db) ,
Sorry about my poor English so that hard to get your mean.
And we will arrange your NFB-3 will shipping in this week.
Edwin
2011-02-26 19:35:35

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #489 of 1,577

Quote:
Mine is on its way! Solidarity, and keep the faith, fellow NFB-2/3 owners-to-be!

Dear (attenuted_3db) ,
Sorry about my poor English so that hard to get your mean.
And we will arrange your NFB-3 will shipping in this week.
Edwin
2011-02-26 19:35:35

Good to hear! Edwin just told me I'd have to wait till the end of March at least before it'll get shipped. doh!

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #490 of 1,577

Quote:

Good to hear! Edwin just told me I'd have to wait till the end of March at least before it'll get shipped. doh!

When did you place your order? I ordered mine on 2/15.Edwin simply told me "NFB-3 order is really too much" and I'll have to wait!

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #492 of 1,577

Quote:
If understand this correctly you say you rate the spdif output on the xonar stx above the usb input on the dac, would this also be the case for the xonar d2x?

Havent tried the spdif input yet since i was under the impression my xonar was broken, which turned out to be the filter in my speaker acting up.

Generally speaking if you can use SPDIF (and not a mini jack SPDIF) it's best to try this first....compare the two types if you can and let your ears be the judge. USB bus has a lot of extra translation hardware both on the PC and the DAC....the RCA SPDIF is far simpler pathway and less prone to degradation as a result. That being said with the right USB device this may level the playing field between the two. This usually means a DI or USB to SPDIF converter being used and then either BNC or RCA SPDIF from the converter to the DAC.

Might as well see if the RCA SPDIF on your sound card does the job and save yourself some possible additional expenses. The SC SPDIF I have is very good so I use it and don't have to fuss with USB at all.

Peete.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #494 of 1,577
Thanks for clearing that up, i have been doing some testing and it does seem the xonar output sounds a bit better but not night and day. I suspect my diy coax cable isn't great or the soundcard's output still has quite a bit of jitter, i think thats what i'm hearing atleast if i understood the description correctly.

In any case the hunt is on for an usb spdif interface, probably jkeny's hiface with bnc connection, then a decent bnc cable and some attenuators and a bnc to rca adapter.
Because of the supposed increase in soundquality and the fact that 2V+ instead of 0.5V on the spdif output has me a bit worried i might damage the dac.

Quote:

Generally speaking if you can use SPDIF (and not a mini jack SPDIF) it's best to try this first....compare the two types if you can and let your ears be the judge. USB bus has a lot of extra translation hardware both on the PC and the DAC....the RCA SPDIF is far simpler pathway and less prone to degradation as a result. That being said with the right USB device this may level the playing field between the two. This usually means a DI or USB to SPDIF converter being used and then either BNC or RCA SPDIF from the converter to the DAC.

Might as well see if the RCA SPDIF on your sound card does the job and save yourself some possible additional expenses. The SC SPDIF I have is very good so I use it and don't have to fuss with USB at all.

Peete.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #495 of 1,577

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, i have been doing some testing and it does seem the xonar output sounds a bit better but not night and day. I suspect my diy coax cable isn't great or the soundcard's output still has quite a bit of jitter, i think thats what i'm hearing atleast if i understood the description correctly.

In any case the hunt is on for an usb spdif interface, probably jkeny's hiface with bnc connection, then a decent bnc cable and some attenuators and a bnc to rca adapter.
Because of the supposed increase in soundquality and the fact that 2V+ instead of 0.5V on the spdif output has me a bit worried i might damage the dac.

I'd try and limit the amount of connections you have in the signal chain. A good quality RCA coax although not ideal (compared to the BNC---> BNC connection) should be much better than using USB and the equal of a USB to SPDIF converter. If you have to use a DI box (for flexibility purposes) the Jkeny modified hiface is a good option as is Kingwa's DI box interface...either can be had with bnc output.....You could source a 75 ohm chassis jack (for the NFB unit) and swap out the RCA jack on the back panel. The attenuators I wouldn't worry too much about but you can experiment with them if you have the extra $$$. As for the SC when you take the digital output from it it's acting like a transport would...it bypasses it's own dac/clock circuitry on board...the same is true for my Prelude card....I just a run a cheap Monster 2.5M IDL 100 rca coax ( I bought on sale for 25 bucks a few years back) direct to my FUN RCA input (DAC section of course) and it works very very well. Of course I have no idea if going the DI route would be superior to my current arrangement but the one thing my setup has going for it is simplicity (which is a good thing when it comes to digital transmission).

Try a decent, but not expensive RCA coax (not homemade) before spending the big bucks...

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back