Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
May 1, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,176 of 3,093
You can bypass the Dac in higher Audio-Gd aio units (from Nfb-29 to Master 11)

good info....are you talking from direct experience ( referring to es9018 aio models especially) ?

because I didn't manage to find this info and went the separation route for 2nd system

May 1, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #2,179 of 3,093
oh well, then I hope I will enjoy my 2nd system born out of erroneous info :))

you live and learn :) 

May 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,181 of 3,093
  Thanks.
This is a pity, because i was interested in a NFB-11.

dismissing the nfb 11 for such reason seems quite odd

how did you come up with the nfb 11 in your search if you look just for an amp ?

May 1, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2,182 of 3,093
  dismissing the nfb 11 for such reason seems quite odd

how did you come up with the nfb 11 in your search if you look just for an amp ?

Dac technologies change quickly.
In a few years, if I want to connect a new DAC to the headphones Amp of the NFB-11, it will be impossible, I will be compelled to buy a new headphones Amp too ! That's the problem.

May 2, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,183 of 3,093

In a few years, if I want to connect a new DAC to the headphones Amp of the NFB-11, it will be impossible, I will be compelled to buy a new headphones Amp too ! That's the problem.

So, you want to be future proof in the audio field with the best bang for the buck dac/amp aio that has the cost of 2 tyres for the average car ?
Just buy a more expensive dac or 2 separate devices ( 1 dac and 1 amp) if you want to have a shot at  ''future proofing''
Technology improvements are mainly marketing hype ..... the most advanced dacs of tomorrow won't be lighting years ahead of those of today music sound wise. If you judge by technology alone there shouldn't be any point for audio live testing. You just read a spec sheet and buy accordingly.
If you want to have always the latest and ''the best'' you are in for a surprise in the audio field ....not to mention the wallet will suffer the most. People spend 100% to 200% more for at best 10% improved sound.

The possibility to use the amp it's not part of ''dac technology'' ..... it's just a feature that you can have or not. If you buy separate components you don't even bother with this.

the nfb has a decent headphone amp, can have 3 simultaneous input sources from which to select with the push o a button, can be used as dac alone, very neutral sound so it won't colour you pairings and has some options that you won't find in $1000 brand named products.

So again, if you dismiss the nfb 11, please tell me which cheaper es9018 dac/amp aio did you find that has a similar hp amp which can be used on its own ?

May 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #2,184 of 3,093

What do you expect to get out of a new DAC technology? While some might disagree, I would say that the NFB-11 is already at that level of accuracy and transparency that any new technology won't be providing useful improvements because this DAC seems accurate within the range of human hearing.

But Botudi is right. If being able to bypass the DAC is important to you, there are more expensive DAC/amps or separates that will allow you to do that.

If you want to have always the latest and ''the best'' you are in for a surprise in the audio field ....not to mention the wallet will suffer the most. People spend 100% to 200% more for at best 10% improved sound.

Heck, with good equipment in this price range, spending more gets you maybe 1 to 2% better quality. (lol)

May 6, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #2,189 of 3,093
  How are the HD800s with the NFB-11? Sound wise and how well the amp drives them etc. Just thinking of maybe starting to save up for a pair.

​hd800 are quite expensive so I think it will be hard to find someone who got the nfb11 and then the 800s or the nfb11 for his/hers 800s.
Maybe if someone got caught in the middle during upgrades, but even then it's hard to be sure as there is a general consensus  that the hd800 needs more beefy (complex/expensive) stuff so maybe the owner didn't care for how they sound with the cheaper DAC/AMP.
In theory it should be better than the 650 (but of course not in proportion with the price diff).

I can vouch for the 400i being great and in a quick analysis not very much diff from being paired to more expensive gear. From what I read hd800 would have better sound stage (although you should go the speaker way if you are into this) and would be more analytical

in the meantime being able to try some stuff, imho, over 1k € you get very poor price/performance improvement in the headphones field. Maybe 500 is also a threshold in this sense.  

as an advice you shouldn't get into the upgradatis business ....after the nfb 11 you are entering very diminished returns territory.
On the other hand it all depends on your way of thinking and what do you consider expensive or worth it. 

May 6, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2,190 of 3,093
  How are the HD800s with the NFB-11? Sound wise and how well the amp drives them etc. Just thinking of maybe starting to save up for a pair.

Not that I'm saying that NFB-11 is bad, but it's pretty entry gear and anyone who owns HD800s will probably own something that is paired pretty well to it. Tubes amps, warm SS with great DAC etc. You might find someone who has both in stock, but just from my experience of pairing a HE-560 which is pretty neutral to a little bright, I wouldn't expect the HD800 or hd800s to be a great match. NFB-11 lacks body, warmth to compensate for the analytical sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back