Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,726 of 3,093
  What else does the new driver brings besides:
-Via asio 15 ms vs 10 ms default value
-windows toolbar sound: SPDIF interface(audio-gd) vs usb interface audio gd (why the change when it's usb conected)
-bigger installer size (just for those above....?) 12.3mb vs 11.9mb
No change on pop sounds, loss of sound when change the header in seekbar.

I want the switch too but i think we all need to get used to this unit, which as sound/price goes it's damn good.
What i'll do is: connect it to both usb and coax. Use coax all the time with no pops whatsoever, and only when i have some DSD files to listen to i'll switch to usb output(even with the switch the thing would be the same)
The sole "minus" is that i wont be able to play 384khz files through spdif...

Yeah I suppose that is the best compromise without shelling out a bunch of money for shipping and everything. However, it seems to me like the USB output is a hint cleaner, less background noise. Could be my mind playing tricks on me though. Also, would be nice to be able to have mixed playlists, rather than being restricted to one format or the other and having to flip input switch on the unit and switch outputs in foobar configuration.

Does anyone know what the difference is between WASAPI(event) and WASAPI(push) is?

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,727 of 3,093
Hi all,

I've been reading this post for a while now. I'm curious if anyone has compared this to the IFI iDSD Micro. I'm wondering that for the difference in cost would the IFI unit be the better choice? With shipping and all options doesn't this unit price shipped equal almost $400? With the IDSD being $500 might it be worth the additional $$$? ...I'm currently considering these two units...

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Brian

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,728 of 3,093
Coax vs usb to my ears is like this:

-with a blank wav file there was noise from 3pm to max 5 pm( if you see the potentiometer like a clock) where 5 pm is max. headphones used sennheiser hd 600, while on more sensitive grado sr60i the noise begins from 1 pm.
This is the same on coax as on usb.( but those levels are ear bleeding levels )
-to my ears with coax there was a bit more volume to the hights paired with sennheiser hd600 ( which is a nice thing imho) .
-with coax i did not experience any pop sound, lose of sound that i have with the usb.

The spdif was from my motherboard realtek chip (but i don't think it makes any difference if it was from some zillion dollar equipment or my cheap realtek chip) and 0.75m good cable.

Why don't you use asio4all? Everywhere it says it's better than wasapi.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,729 of 3,093
I don't have IFI iDSD Micro but from what i can see its a portable amp/dac unit, so you have the battery to consider.
The Micro can play DSD up to 512 vs nfb11 DSD128
The dac chips differ nfb has Sabre ES9018( which is a pretty neutral dac chip) the micro has two Burr Brown chips(i didn't research what those chips are or their sound signature)
The micro delivers 1560 mW @ 64 Ohm vs nfb11 1800mW/50 ohm. The turbo function in micro i guess increases distortion.
The nfb 11 has a nice alps potentiometer vs micro
I'd still go on nfb 11 now that it even solved the relays pop/sound loss issue with the 2015 ver switch.

LE: I wander if the IFI iDSD Micro has the annoying but necessary mute relays to change from PCM to DSD.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,730 of 3,093

-with a blank wav file there was noise from 3pm to max 5 pm( if you see the potentiometer like a clock) where 5 pm is max. headphones used sennheiser hd 600, while on more sensitive grado sr60i the noise begins from 1 pm.
-to my ears with coax there was a bit more volume to the hights paired with sennheiser hd600 ( which is a nice thing imho) .
-with coax i did not experience any pop sound, lose of sound that i have with the usb.

The spdif was from my motherboard realtek chip (but i don't think it makes any difference if it was from some zillion dollar equipment or my cheap realtek chip) and 0.75m good cable.

Your motherboard has a Coaxial SPDIF header? I haven't seen that very often. Mine only has Optical.

Also, I've heard it both ways regarding asio4all vs WASAPI with some preferring ASIO and some preferring WASAPI. Anyways, I don't think you can do ASIO via optical, can you?

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,731 of 3,093
I don't have IFI iDSD Micro but from what i can see its a portable amp/dac unit, so you have the battery to consider.
The Micro can play DSD up to 512 vs nfb11 DSD128
The dac chips differ nfb has Sabre ES9018( which is a pretty neutral dac chip) the micro has two Burr Brown chips(i didn't research what those chips are or their sound signature)
The micro delivers 1560 mW @ 64 Ohm vs nfb11 1800mW/50 ohm. The turbo function in micro i guess increases distortion.
The nfb 11 has a nice alps potentiometer vs micro
I'd still go on nfb 11 now that it even solved the relays pop/sound loss issue with the 2015 ver switch.

Thanks for the reply. Yea...don't really care for the portability thing as I'm not gonna move it once installed (that's what I have a Fiio X3 for (...and maybe an X7 soon...). I didn't really want the battery thing but... I've never had a chance to hear anything in DSD yet. The IFI stuff really has great reviews though. I'm currently operating on a Nuforce Udac2 in my desktop setup with a pair of Swan M200MKII speakers and a Polk PSW111 8" sub all running Jriver software. I am just looking to upgrade dacs. Also would like to hear a well implemented ES9018 someday. I have an Oppo bdp-103 and should have bought a 105 but...I'd love to hear someone's comparison though!

Thanks

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,733 of 3,093
  Looks like the new driver fixed the ASIO not working with the previous driver. If only there was a switch on the back of my nfb, it would all be perfect haha.

I was using the USB for a little bit just to test it out with the new driver, and I occasionally heard some bizarre fuzz feedback, almost sounded like RFI or something. I was using foo_dsd_asio output with the driver set to 64-bit mode.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,734 of 3,093
I was using the USB for a little bit just to test it out with the new driver, and I occasionally heard some bizarre fuzz feedback, almost sounded like RFI or something. I was using foo_dsd_asio output with the driver set to 64-bit mode.

That might be a problem with your USB port. I had similar problem, but plugging the NFB-11 to a 2.0 port fixed it. If that doesn't work, you can try removing the driver completely and reinstalling it. If the problem still persists, you might have a defective unit...

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,735 of 3,093
I could use via asio in ver 1 with no prob, now in ver 2 asio works the same only that it is set with 15ms instead of 10ms which lowers the possibility of getting artifacts.
And one more thing now in the new driver the asio doesn't disappear if you delete the installer folder"Audio-gdUSB32driverversion2".
Hey let's make a band the "The no switch grievers" :))
That's life one day you chose to buy the unit because you can't seem to find a better option even though you know it has driver issues and the next day they solve it and you get to stick with your choice.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,736 of 3,093
  I could use via asio in ver 1 with no prob, now in ver 2 asio works the same only that it is set with 15ms instead of 10ms which lowers the possibility of getting artifacts.
And one more thing now in the new driver the asio doesn't disappear if you delete the installer folder"Audio-gdUSB32driverversion2".
Hey let's make a band the "The no switch grievers" :))
That's life one day you chose to buy the unit because you can't seem to find a better option even though you know it has driver issues and the next day they solve it and you get to stick with your choice.

It's not the drivers that I take issue with. I knew about the possible instability etc of the drivers ahead of time. The thing I take issue with is the undocumented design flaw that renders the NFB-11 as a system audio device pretty much useless (via USB). Audio-GD was fully aware of this issue from the beginning and yet did nothing to inform prospective buyers until after they released a new model correcting the problem. I think my grievance is well-founded, and considering the time frame in which I made the purchase I think it is reasonable to expect Audio-GD to have either forewarned me of an imminent new model, or else be willing to help defray the cost of returning it to them so they could either install a switch or otherwise remedy the issue (which so far they don't really seem willing to do).

But yeah, like you said, I guess that's just how it goes. Caveat emptor, eh?

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #1,737 of 3,093

Yeah, no that's not true. Technically it should be real/native ASIO > WASAPI > ASIO4ALL.
As far as I am aware ASIO4ALL is just kernel streaming in an ASIO wrapper, so it is not 'true' ASIO, but still is a direct connection method.
The difference in reality should be little to none between ASIO/WASAPI/KS[ASIO4ALL] but that will depend on a given DAC as well.
With Audio-gd, native VIA ASIO should be the best performer [with Sabre DACs, as it automatically 'locks' all music in 32-bit [+ corresponding sample rate] which should mean the best performance for the Sabre]. WASAPI locks most things to 24-bit and does not go 32-bit for me. ASIO4All, while I have, and is very good [possibly same] should be your last option but it seems to be the most stable and easiest to work with, at least for me. So if you have trouble with the rest, going ASIO4ALL is a viable option I guess.
This is all from experience with Audio-gd's Sabre DACs. Wolfson/Burr-Brown ones need not apply and YMMV.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,739 of 3,093
Hope it won't turn out the other way, but after a long time watching YouTube, I didn't  have  any blue-screens ... I've installed the new driver this morning ...  it seems that  this BS problem while youtube-ing is solved... I wish it is not just a coincidence ...

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,740 of 3,093
I love how such fixes come in 2015 
rolleyes.gif

Better very late than never I guess 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back