Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,607 of 3,093
I think you can update the firmware, there is a tool for updating firmware on the website if you click the older drivers link. The link to downloading that tool isn't working right now though. Another problem I am facing is that I cannot disable ASIO after activating it...another contact to Kingwa.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,608 of 3,093
Why do you want to disable ASIO? Isn't that the preferred output, since it enables on-the-fly resolution/sampling rate adjustment?

>>Ok so I just got mine hooked up. Problem free driver installation, no option for "ASIO" output in foobar, just "audio-gd USB audio". Selected that and it seems to work fine. I went into Windows' audio output configuration and checked all the sampling rates. Playback in foobar seems capable of switching to the correct sample rate on the fly without me having to do anything.

So far I'm not overly impressed with the HD 650's compared to my HD 555's. But they sound nice and smooth, no complaints so far. I don't have much experience with a wide range of headphones, so I'm not sure if I really know how to identify warmth, darkness, etc. Maybe I need to just compare against some 600's to see if I can notice the difference.

I'll post further impressions after I've spent some more time listening to music.

I am greatly relieved, however, that the driver installation and implementation has been so painless (so far).

EDIT:

I see what you mean about the delay now, I installed the ASIO driver and SACD support and yeah that's annoying. Hopefully they will release the firmware soon, because I want to be able to do DSD for SACD so cutting the wire is totally out of the question.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,609 of 3,093
Hi, new kids in the [NFB 11] block. I wish many joyful listenings.

Glad to read that you don't face any software issues. Don't you have blue -screens while in YouTube ? Which is your OS ? 

Best,

Spiros

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,610 of 3,093
  Why do you want to disable ASIO? Isn't that the preferred output, since it enables on-the-fly resolution/sampling rate adjustment?

>>Ok so I just got mine hooked up. Problem free driver installation, no option for "ASIO" output in foobar, just "audio-gd USB audio". Selected that and it seems to work fine. I went into Windows' audio output configuration and checked all the sampling rates. Playback in foobar seems capable of switching to the correct sample rate on the fly without me having to do anything.

So far I'm not overly impressed with the HD 650's compared to my HD 555's. But they sound nice and smooth, no complaints so far. I don't have much experience with a wide range of headphones, so I'm not sure if I really know how to identify warmth, darkness, etc. Maybe I need to just compare against some 600's to see if I can notice the difference.

I'll post further impressions after I've spent some more time listening to music.

I am greatly relieved, however, that the driver installation and implementation has been so painless (so far).

EDIT:

I see what you mean about the delay now, I installed the ASIO driver and SACD support and yeah that's annoying. Hopefully they will release the firmware soon, because I want to be able to do DSD for SACD so cutting the wire is totally out of the question.

That's great that it's working for you well. For DSD, that is normal. However, for normal playback, it should be fixed. I am using Windows 8.1, which might be why I am having problems. 

Hi, new kids in the [NFB 11] block. I wish many joyful listenings.

Glad to read that you don't face any software issues. Don't you have blue -screens while in YouTube ? Which is your OS ? 

Best,

Spiros

I am using Windows 8.1 64bit. No blue screens in Youtube...other applications actually work fine, but it's just that when using Wasapi in Foobar, pausing/playing seems to trigger the mute relay.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,611 of 3,093

That's great that it's working for you well. For DSD, that is normal. However, for normal playback, it should be fixed. I am using Windows 8.1, which might be why I am having problems. 

I am using Windows 8.1 64bit. No blue screens in Youtube...other applications actually work fine, but it's just that when using Wasapi in Foobar, pausing/playing seems to trigger the mute relay.

thnx for the info

it is peculiar that you have relay popping/clicking when on wasapi ... in my case, as well as, others that I have read, the relay comes into place, only during native dsd playback. Never while playing pcm on wasapi ... Anyway, give a try to the ''silence dsp'' component for foobar (that it was mentioned a few pages ago) ... this may give a temporary solution while finding out a permanent one ...

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,612 of 3,093

>>Ok so I just got mine hooked up. Problem free driver installation, no option for "ASIO" output in foobar, just "audio-gd USB audio". 

Another peculiar thing ... if you use the latest driver, under foobar's output you should find : '' ASIO " VIA KS Direct ASIO'' .... Are you sure that you have allready installed the ASIO SUPPORT ( foo_out_asio) in your foobar ???

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,613 of 3,093
Another peculiar thing ... if you use the latest driver, under foobar's output you should find : '' ASIO " VIA KS Direct ASIO'' .... Are you sure that you have allready installed the ASIO SUPPORT ( foo_out_asio) in your foobar ???

I haven't installed the component yet, but I will try today. I reinstalled the driver a couple of times, but no luck with wasapi mute relay problem.
Silence DSP was the plugin I was looking for. Thank you.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,616 of 3,093
Ugh yeah that delay is hella annoying. Seems that once audio is playing, you can keep it going seamlessly (changing tracks, incidental system sounds, etc), but there is always a delay going from silence to playing any sound, which is definitely problematic for isolated system sounds if you're using the NFB-11 as the default system playback device (configured in Direct Sound mode, not ASIO or WASAPI) and there isn't music playing in the background.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with the optical/coaxial inputs as well, or if it's just with USB?

Quote:
willowbrook /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Willowbrook
Is this the issue that you're saying Kingwa claims the next firmware update will resolve? Also, I'm using Windows 7, so I don't think the fact that you're using Windows 8 is causing your issue.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,617 of 3,093

@Willowbrook
Is this the issue that you're saying Kingwa claims the next firmware update will resolve? Also, I'm using Windows 7, so I don't think the fact that you're using Windows 8 is causing your issue.

Yes, it is. He just said to wait a few days for the update. For DS, I am actually not having any problems. It's the opposite. There is a relay at the start of a program, but when you pause and play it does not trigger it. For example, when playing a movie on VLC, there is no problem at all between pausing and playing. When you exit VLC, there is that tick sound from NFB-11. When you start up VLC again, there is another tick sound after 1~2 seconds. Same with all programs. It seems to be related to Wasapi, I haven't tried ASIO yet, but will soon.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,619 of 3,093
I gotta say, it blows my mind that some people are cranking their NFB-11's up to 12 o'clock and above. With a pair of HD 650's, anything past about 11 is pretty uncomfortable. I think 12 and up would be ear splitting. I find I'm most comfortable in the 10'ish range, depending on the source of course.

Intially I had them turned up louder, but quickly realized it was too loud because my ears started hurting. It seems like I can turn it up too loud for a little bit without really noticing right away because the NFB-11/HD 650 combo doesn't distort a higher volume levels as much as, say, my HD 555's did, which is a dead giveaway. I don't know if the NFB-11 or the HD 650's are  the reason for this, or if it's the combination. Guess I could try the HD 555's with the amp.

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,620 of 3,093
Hi. I'm currently looking for my first full-sized amp/dac solution and these got in my radar. What is the difference between NFB-11 and NFB-11.32?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back