Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Oct 7, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,471 of 3,093
That's odd. The NFB15 drives my HE-500 with ease at high gain. At 12 on volume pot I get ear damaging levels. Even at low gain it gets very, very loud at 3 on volume pot. The harder to drive HE-4 gets pretty loud at 1 on high gain. The NFB 11 and 15 shares the same amp section so....

Check your computer settings, drivers, etc.

Cheers!

That surprises me, too. I upgraded from an O2 to Asgard 2, and it was more powerful (to me) than the O2. Then I upgraded to the NFB-11, and it is bit of a step up from the Asgard 2.

That being said, a 10x increase in watts is only +10 db more SPL, and a +10 db increase in SPL is a perceived doubling in volume. So depending on what your expectations are, might not seem a lot more powerful. You might want to read this article, kishorfarm: http://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,472 of 3,093
The relay sound, is it heard in headphones too? or is it heard just in the unit? I have a asus xonar dg si witch has relays that act when changing from headphones to speakers output, and i hear it just in soundcard(nec relay), the headphones doesn't transmit any sound.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,473 of 3,093
The relay sound, is it heard in headphones too? or is it heard just in the unit? I have a asus xonar dg si witch has relays that act when changing from headphones to speakers output, and i hear it just in soundcard(nec relay), the headphones doesn't transmit any sound.

Just the unit.
Of course if you're using open headphones you might hear this as the isolation from the outside is little :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,474 of 3,093
Yea i was betting on that, but i don't get it why does the relays need to act when pausing music, and i guess when changing tracks too. I'm not a tech guy but i think its pointless, at least in my sound card it makes sense, it acts when changing outputs between headphones amp and speakers so that they separate them further thus reducing noise i think. They should just use relays when changing from different outputs(fixed/variable/hp) and gain. Just my opinion.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,476 of 3,093
  Hey guys! You consider the NFB 11.32 to be a good choice for a modded Fostex T50rp as it's only 50ohm?
From what I heard it is a great choice for my HE-4. :)

The Audio-GD NFB-11 is a good choice for any headphone.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,477 of 3,093

That's odd. The NFB15 drives my HE-500 with ease at high gain. At 12 on volume pot I get ear damaging levels. Even at low gain it gets very, very loud at 3 on volume pot. The harder to drive HE-4 gets pretty loud at 1 on high gain. The NFB 11 and 15 shares the same amp section so....

Check your computer settings, drivers, etc.

Cheers!

I've checked all settings, I even reinstalled the driver (USB32 version 1 as recommended by Audio GD), but everything remains the same. I must set the output power at high levels to drive the HE-500 properly, in most tracks I set volume at 1 (on high gain) but in some tracks (especially those with high dynamic range) I must set vol at 3 or even at 5 (maximum). With other headphones like Grado 325is or Denon D600 I set volume between 10 and 12.

I understand that audio perception in human beigns is logarithmic (dB) (as most senses are) and not linear (W) but, nonetheless, I was hopping the difference between 650mw (O2) and 3W (NFB-11) to be more noticeable.

Regards.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,478 of 3,093

I've checked all settings, I even reinstalled the driver (USB32 version 1 as recommended by Audio GD), but everything remains the same. I must set the output power at high levels to drive the HE-500 properly, in most tracks I set volume at 1 (on high gain) but in some tracks (especially those with high dynamic range) I must set vol at 3 or even at 5 (maximum). With other headphones like Grado 325is or Denon D600 I set volume between 10 and 12.

I understand that audio perception in human beigns is logarithmic (dB) (as most senses are) and not linear (W) but, nonetheless, I was hopping the difference between 650mw (O2) and 3W (NFB-11) to be more noticeable.

Regards.

thats scary, i used to have nfb15.32 and can only stay around 12 at most.
i doubt there's something wrong with your gain switch :|

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,479 of 3,093

Regards.

That seems a very unhealthy listening levels. In high gain I can't stand at 12 on the pot for more than 30 seconds with HE-500. Even with low level material (oldies). Did you try contacting AudioGD support?

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,481 of 3,093
How long do these things last? I'm looking into picking up one for my 600ohm beyers, but if I purchase a 4 year old model would I need to worry about it dying on me within the year?

Also would a 4 or 5 year old model be any different than the current one

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,482 of 3,093
It seem to be conflicting opinions as if it's worth the upgrade from an STX to the NFB-11/15, IF you are mostly gonna play games and watching movies. Some say it's worth it, others claim that it isn't, and you are better off saving the money and just switching Op-amps on the STX. My head is spinning and I can't decide on my next course of action. I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this issue!

Also, anyone tried the T70 headphones with the NFB-11 or NFB-15, and what setup matches the T70's best?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #1,483 of 3,093
How long do these things last? I'm looking into picking up one for my 600ohm beyers, but if I purchase a 4 year old model would I need to worry about it dying on me within the year?

Also would a 4 or 5 year old model be any different than the current one

I believe each new revision of the NFB-11 adds features, but I think in general the DAC and amplifier stay about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back