Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,351 of 3,093
  Starting with the basics:

1 - Are you sure the device is showing normally in the device manager ?
2 - Did you selected it as the default device in the sound reproduction ?
3 - What is the version of the driver in the device manager ?
4 - Youre using wasapi, ASIO or directsound ?

I will post some screenshots for this.

1)

2)

3)

4)
I am using ASIO

So I don't understand why it doesn't work

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #1,352 of 3,093
Are you trying to play sound from Windows via the USB or are you trying to playing music through an application like foobar2000? Do you get any sound if you test the device through the Windows sound panel (what you included a screen shot of)

I'm running Windows8.1 and I was having issues until I updated to the latest(?) firmware. Now this may not solve your problem; but this is how I use it and you might want to try this to see if it works. 

From foobar2000 I send output to the USB. I don't use Asio as the device shows up in the list of output devices. WASAPI (push). Have you tried anything other than ASIO?

Finally as I already have a sound card in my system; I send everything else to is through the sound card's SPDIF port. Since it appears you have other sound devices; have you tried anything like that?

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,354 of 3,093
OK. I think I'm ready to take the plunge into an Audio-GD NFB-11. My path to here has been ODAC (which I like), and then Objective 2, Schiit Asgard 2 and Meier Corda Rock.

* Objective 2--decent sound. Horrible usability with all the connections on the front with the small interface. Got rid of it.
* The Asgard 2--great pre-amp, great sound, hate that it runs so hot all the time. Wish the gain switch were on the front.
* Meir Corda Rock--like the Asgard 2 sound a bit better. Love the small compact size, but really need a pre-amp for my speakers. Hate using my Niles switching box and then a Fostex volume control.

So now I'm ready for an all in one unit, and I can easily fund the NFB-11 by selling off the ODAC, Asgard 2, and Meier Corda Rock . A few questions:

1) My main question is how hot does the NFB-11 run? I'm guessing it can't be as bad as the Asgard 2 which, as full Class A, is running full out all the time when switched on. My home office is warm in the summer, so I really want to get away from an amp that is a heater just when it's turned on doing nothing :)

2) Are most people using the standard transformer or the upgrade?

3) TCXO upgrade seem very helpful for USB? Even Audio-GD describes it as minimal SQ improvement.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,355 of 3,093
1) My main question is how hot does the NFB-11 run? I'm guessing it can't be as bad as the Asgard 2 which, as full Class A, is running full out all the time when switched on. My home office is warm in the summer, so I really want to get away from an amp that is a heater just when it's turned on doing nothing 

My NFB-15.32 runs warm, but not to the point were I think there might be a heat issue.
The new NFB-11/15 now seem come with air holes, so at least it should run a little cooler then mine.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,356 of 3,093
OK. I think I'm ready to take the plunge into an Audio-GD NFB-11. My path to here has been ODAC (which I like), and then Objective 2, Schiit Asgard 2 and Meier Corda Rock.

* Objective 2--decent sound. Horrible usability with all the connections on the front with the small interface. Got rid of it.
* The Asgard 2--great pre-amp, great sound, hate that it runs so hot all the time. Wish the gain switch were on the front.
* Meir Corda Rock--like the Asgard 2 sound a bit better. Love the small compact size, but really need a pre-amp for my speakers. Hate using my Niles switching box and then a Fostex volume control.

So now I'm ready for an all in one unit, and I can easily fund the NFB-11 by selling off the ODAC, Asgard 2, and Meier Corda Rock . A few questions:

1) My main question is how hot does the NFB-11 run? I'm guessing it can't be as bad as the Asgard 2 which, as full Class A, is running full out all the time when switched on. My home office is warm in the summer, so I really want to get away from an amp that is a heater just when it's turned on doing nothing
smily_headphones1.gif

3) TCXO upgrade seem very helpful for USB? Even Audio-GD describes it as minimal SQ improvement.

Thanks in advance.

1] If it is anything like Compass2, which I assume it is, it gets a bit warm but nowhere near hot
2] I believe the upgrade is free right now!
3\ it is an important part of the DAC. For the relatively small price, I'd certainly take both TCXO upgrades [and I always did so far]

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,357 of 3,093
Thanks, guys!

Sounds like it would be an improvement on the Asgard 2 desktop heater :)

Didn't know about the transformer upgrade. That's great.

I just sent them an email for a price/shipping quote with the TCXO upgrade included.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,358 of 3,093
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance.

1 - The unit after all day listening to it is warm to the touch (33C accordingly with the laser thermometer). This new unit with the 3 vent opening is really good for ventilation.

2 - Normal transformer here.

3 - Yep, even them said the improvement is marginal. I will someday get it thought.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,360 of 3,093
1 - The unit after all day listening to it is warm to the touch (33C accordingly with the laser thermometer). This new unit with the 3 vent opening is really good for ventilation.

2 - Normal transformer here.

3 - Yep, even them said the improvement is marginal. I will someday get it thought.

Thanks. Warm to the touch is OK and to be expected :)

So now I just have to wait for them to give me a quote so I can make my payment and order.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,362 of 3,093
  The over 192K support only by the KS and ASIO.
You want to check if working with either mode. 

Oh i see.

The good news is that many games work OK with the 384khz.

I played Outlast yesterday and man, it was difficult to not **** myself with the scary sounds, respirations thru doors.

Really scary.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,363 of 3,093
  Are you trying to play sound from Windows via the USB or are you trying to playing music through an application like foobar2000? Do you get any sound if you test the device through the Windows sound panel (what you included a screen shot of)

I'm running Windows8.1 and I was having issues until I updated to the latest(?) firmware. Now this may not solve your problem; but this is how I use it and you might want to try this to see if it works. 

From foobar2000 I send output to the USB. I don't use Asio as the device shows up in the list of output devices. WASAPI (push). Have you tried anything other than ASIO?

Finally as I already have a sound card in my system; I send everything else to is through the sound card's SPDIF port. Since it appears you have other sound devices; have you tried anything like that?

I don't get any sound, no.

I also have a problem that my audio device manager stops responding or is very slow whenever I have the unit plugged in and powered up. 
Finally I disabled all other audio devices and uninstalled other audio drivers which could be conflicting, but without any results. I am very confused why the same driver and device works fine on another setup using windows 7 ultimate as this PC. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,364 of 3,093
How do you stop this popping when listening to DSD! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I was able to stop the popping noise! For anyone who has popping noise when switching between pcm & dsd modify your pcm/dsd transition to 50-100 milliseconds. No more pop!

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,365 of 3,093
I have some extra money thinking of buying an AMP / DAC to attach to the NFB-11. Any suggestions? Is this even necessary / possible? I want to make an upgrade to the NFB 11 and was wondering if I could... Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back