Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Sep 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #106 of 3,093
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about how NFB 11.32 stacks up against Matrix Mini-i? I hesitated between two but decided to go with NFB 11.32

Hello Skybij,

I purchased the Matrix Mini-i when it first came out and still own it.  I'm sure the usb issue has been taken care of from the early production runs.  None of my PCs recognize it using usb, so have to use a usb to spdif converter to make it work in that fashion.  The other inputs work great.  That being said, it's a very good device nevertheless.  The AD1955 chip sounds very smooth indeed.  I have used it as an all-in-one, balanced, single ended, as a usb converter (it has spdif out), headphones, powered speakers etc... through the years.  At the moment, I have it plugged into my Mapletree Ear+HD tube headamp with great results.

When it comes to the NFB-11.32, the detail retrieval, overall musical and smooth presentation, as well as power, the 11.32 definitely has the edge.  I have tried many phones with both and the 11.32 never misses a beat with either Senns, Beyers, 'Sones, Grados, Denon etc....

beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #107 of 3,093
Received mine today. Puzzling that it didn't have any (any) manual whatsoever in the box. Just a PC and a Chinese-made USB cable. Did anyone receive a manual? Reason I ask is that in the USB cable package there are a number of plastic "thingies" (like the ones that came with the D1 for changing the resolution by inserting these "thingies" in the appropriate spots). Please let me know. Thank you.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #110 of 3,093
Quote:
Reason I ask is that in the USB cable package there are a number of plastic "thingies" (like the ones that came with the D1 for changing the resolution by inserting these "thingies" in the appropriate spots).

Jumpers you mean? 
tongue_smile.gif

Those things come in handy, be sure to keep them all! Enjoy that 11.32. Take pics and let us know what you think of it!

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #111 of 3,093
Can someone explain to me why the NFB-11.32 would have a variable/fixed output switch on the front panel, but also a way to set it via a jumper internally?  Although the internal jumpers look like variable only and fixed and variable? I have one of these coming in the next day or so and I plan to pair it with an amp so I would be using the DAC portion of the NFB-11.32 only.  The english description on the NFB-11.32 user manual page is a little sketchy.  Any recommendations for what setting I should use when pairing with an external amp that has a volume control? Is it better to control the volume via the DAC or the Amp? TIA!

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #112 of 3,093
Quote:
Can someone explain to me why the NFB-11.32 would have a variable/fixed output switch on the front panel, but also a way to set it via a jumper internally?  Although the internal jumpers look like variable only and fixed and variable? I have one of these coming in the next day or so and I plan to pair it with an amp so I would be using the DAC portion of the NFB-11.32 only.  The english description on the NFB-11.32 user manual page is a little sketchy.  Any recommendations for what setting I should use when pairing with an external amp that has a volume control? Is it better to control the volume via the DAC or the Amp? TIA!

Hello MJS,

To use with an external amp that has volume control you set it to fixed (volume knob on 11.32 is disabled).  To use as an all-in-one with headphones set it to HP.  I believe with the jumpers you can set it to both (fixed and variable), but I have no clue what the uses/benefits for that would be.  I also own the 15.1 that has most settings on the front panel, except fixed and variable, so I had Kingwa set it to fixed, before shipping so I did not have to open her up when I connect an amp to it. 
The 15.1 has the HP and Dac output on front panel, so when I switch to dac it is automatically on fixed.

Cheers!!!

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #114 of 3,093
Quote:

Hello MJS,

To use with an external amp that has volume control you set it to fixed (volume knob on 11.32 is disabled).  To use as an all-in-one with headphones set it to HP.  I believe with the jumpers you can set it to both (fixed and variable), but I have no clue what the uses/benefits for that would be.  I also own the 15.1 that has most settings on the front panel, except fixed and variable, so I had Kingwa set it to fixed, before shipping so I did not have to open her up when I connect an amp to it. 
The 15.1 has the HP and Dac output on front panel, so when I switch to dac it is automatically on fixed.

Cheers!!!

Thank you sir, very helpful.  

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #115 of 3,093
Quote:
Thanks, HeatFan. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Jumpers you mean? 
tongue_smile.gif

Those things come in handy, be sure to keep them all! Enjoy that 11.32. Take pics and let us know what you think of it!

Quote:
Thanks for the info HeatFan12 
beerchug.gif
. I'm going to get Grados pretty soon and it's nice to know that NFB 11.32 sounds good with such wide variety of headphones. Itching to get mine soon

Quote:
Thank you sir, very helpful.  

Cheers!!!
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
dt880smile.png
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #116 of 3,093
Ordered my week agoy, Russian post sucks. Someone has compared the standard usb cable with some brand? I buy NEO by OYAIDE Elec d+ USB class I will try to make a comparison with a standart cable. Also interesting is how the best sound machine with the upgrade than the standard.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #117 of 3,093
I received my NFB-11.32 a few days ago and I've been really enjoying it!  I haven't been able to do a fair comparison because I'm currently in the middle of upgrading my gear.  I really like what I've heard so far though.  

Just for clarification... If I'm listening to lossless files ripped from a standard CD, it's my understanding that I won't benefit from changing my settings (audio-gd software or within foobar) to anything higher than 44.1kHz / 16-bit, would that be correct? 

Another thing, I notice when I select a new song (within foobar 2000) while in the middle of listening to a song, I hear this click or pop in the headphones (it sounds more left oriented if anything).  It does it about 50% of the time, and never does it when the song ends normally and the next song in line follows.  I've never had this issue with any other dac/sound card, anyone have a similar issue? I'm using the wasapi device (event or push), when I use the non-wasapi audio-gd device it seems like less of a problem.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #118 of 3,093
I received my NFB-11.32 a few days ago and I've been really enjoying it!  I haven't been able to do a fair comparison because I'm currently in the middle of upgrading my gear.  I really like what I've heard so far though.  

Just for clarification... If I'm listening to lossless files ripped from a standard CD, it's my understanding that I won't benefit from changing my settings (audio-gd software or within foobar) to anything higher than 44.1kHz / 16-bit, would that be correct? 

Another thing, I notice when I select a new song (within foobar 2000) while in the middle of listening to a song, I hear this click or pop in the headphones (it sounds more left oriented if anything).  It does it about 50% of the time, and never does it when the song ends normally and the next song in line follows.  I've never had this issue with any other dac/sound card, anyone have a similar issue? I'm using the wasapi device (event or push), when I use the non-wasapi audio-gd device it seems like less of a problem.

Regarding the pop click you may try plugging into a different usb port or trying a different cable. Also on my desktop i was able to hear more pops and clicks from front hub, and hardly anything at all when connected to the back of the motherboard directly. I have the nfb1.32 same difference ... just something i've noticed with the dac.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #119 of 3,093
NFB11.32 with TCXO for USB chip Impressions

Background: I previously owned the Ref 5 (with a WA6SE Amp), and NFB2 from Audio-gd and had moved to Violectric V800 DAC with V181 Amp because I wanted to have a balanced setup with my LCD2.

I recently sold my V800 DAC and my V181 is for sale in the forums.

Impressions: I've got to tell you, this DAC/AMP combo is an excellent setup for my LCD phones. I was worried about the dynamics without having a dedicated separate Amp but I am really enjoying my setup these past two weeks.The detail of the DAC is so revealing compared to the V800. It is really a pleasure to listen to my music and hear detail that went unnoticed previously. I tired the RCA optical with a Wireworld Silver Starlight Coax cable for a couple days, and then switched to USB. I like the sound from the 32 Bit USB more than I do the Optical. To me, it is a bit smoother sounding, less edgy on vocals, and the highs are a bit more revealing. That was enough for me to invest in a better USB cable to see if more could be revealed. I bought a wireworld starlight USB cable, and this past week have enjoyed a minor increase in an already revealing sound, with an even smoother sounding mid-range especially on vocals and stringed instruments. 

Since I still have the V181 Amp here, I thought I would check to see what the V181 sounded like with the NFB11.32 as a DAC. I set the input at USB and output at fixed and spent an hour or two A/B ing between the two Amps. The sound quality from the V181 is a bit better than the internal amp of the NFB11.32 but the difference is not enough for me to hang onto the V181 because of the difference. I noticed more of a jump in quality when I went from Optical to USB and another from going from cheapo USB to Starlight than I do going from NFB to V181 as an amp.

I am SUPER pleased with the sound quality of the NFB11.32 and I can honestly say, the $375 for the NFB11.32 is such an excellent value. If the V800 and V181 were only $375, I would still pick the sound signature of the NFB11.32 over the Violectric setup. But I am saying this based on what I enjoy in sound signatures. The violectric has more dynamic range in reproducing bass and strong passages, but for me, the smoothness and revealing sound signature of the NFB11.32 is more enjoyable over long listening periods than I have had for the past year with the Violectric setup, even though the Violectric is balanced, I think the single-ended sound of the NFB11.32 trumps it in terms of pure enjoyment of the music for me.

Please keep in mind, someone else listening to my setup may have the total opposite feeling about the sound as I do. I am passing this along to people that might have an LCD setup and are concerned about the sound coming from the NFB11.32. I am not sure if the clock crystal upgrade added to the quality, as I cannot A/B that. I bought it with the option purely from the point of view that it made sense because it added a better clock to the setup and USB is so clock sensitive. I cannot say what it would sound like had I not ordered the TCXO, only with it. I am truly impressed, really, really pleased with the sound. 

The only wish I would have for this, if I had a magic wand, would be to have an Analog input of the device. Since I have a TT setup also here at work, I will need to buy a secondary amp, perhaps a tube amp, for when I want to hear vinyl and that was something the V181 did very well for me and I miss that feature. But I knew this going in, and I wanted to try this because the 32Bit USB receiver with 32 bit DAC just made sense to me, and I have wanted to hear a 32 Sabre DAC since they were announced.

As always, please take what I say with a grain of salt, as my opinion is based on my impression, and not by an scientific measurement, or serious, critical comparison. It is just my opinion on what I like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back