Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #2,281 of 2,569
I had to use some force but eventually it came off.
Ofcourse you can tell it's difference. Fixed will only use the dac, variable will use the dac + headphone amp. The headphone amp sound adds flavor and tonality. Fixed is neutral.
When I put a volume at 12 o'clock, there is no difference in volume between fixed and variable mode. Also a sound is identical. Absolutely no difference (in both high and low switch position). It gives an optimal sound in my book.

However if you turn a pot to the max, then what you say is true.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #2,282 of 2,569
The previous owner attempted to remove jumper and eventually gave up. It is how it was before:

I managed to separate pins by cutting in the middle using side cutters and remove individual pins, then cleaning pins with a knife from residue glue was required. Spare jumbers were included, fortunately.

The idea of using a blow dryer is excellent, but remember about removing glue from the pins and don't use the same jumper. You won't be able to remove glue from a jumper.
What is it with Kingwa and his obsession with applying liberal amounts of glue to everything..?
My NFB11.32 remains sealed - as in unopened. Thankfully never needed to.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #2,283 of 2,569
When I put a volume at 12 o'clock, there is no difference in volume between fixed and variable mode. Also a sound is identical. Absolutely no difference (in both high and low switch position). It gives an optimal sound in my book.

So the jumper must be routing it through a fixed voltage divider instead of the pot in that case?
Also I wonder how they manage to reroute a stereo signal with a single jumper

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #2,284 of 2,569

For me it's easy to distinguish using fixed vs using variable. Don't you notice the addition of the amp's sound / flavor?

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #2,285 of 2,569
What is it with Kingwa and his obsession with applying liberal amounts of glue to everything..?
Kingwa is an icon, as his only obsession is to deliver the best sound possible and he does. The best sound is in the middle of a pot, it should give you a thought. This is unconventional, as everybody expected to be at the max, but it is well thought and quite practical. Isn't?

As for a glue, it is a typical glue applied to the connectors (as seen on the left and right of the jumper). A glue prevents plugs from getting a lose from vibrations. As for a jumper, the only reason I can imagine is that this feature was supposed to be undocumented and Kingwa has changed a mind after interraction with first users.

You should perhaps notice that jumper in my device had been glued not in a current default 'variable', but a 'fixed' position, it gives a full-feature. The first batch was probably shipped in this (glued) position.

I am really dissappointed from your attack, so I will tell a real story. Your friend from the South African forum who sold me this device didn't tell me about having problem with removing the jumper. Initially a DAC didn't sound good, so I did exchange PM and received response that there was absolutely no problems. My thread count was increased immediately in order to keep me happy, so I knew that returning goods would be difficult. I looked inside and found this botchered jumper. It became clear that after a failed attempt of removing the jumper there is no longer good contact and I have to fix these things.

After replacing jumper a DAC started to sound nice. So please do not attack Kingwa when you know your friend did something wrong. I have a very bad word to describe such behaviour.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #2,286 of 2,569
So the jumper must be routing it through a fixed voltage divider instead of the pot in that case?
Also I wonder how they manage to reroute a stereo signal with a single jumper
Yes, but I didn't investigate how it is done.
For me it's easy to distinguish using fixed vs using variable. Don't you notice the addition of the amp's sound / flavor?
My amp is entry level, speakers 15 years old and abused, my ears are much much much older, so you can be right. If there is a difference at 12 o'clock it is small, I guess...

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #2,287 of 2,569
Kingwa is an icon, as his only obsession is to deliver the best sound possible and he does. The best sound is in the middle of a pot, it should give you a thought. This is unconventional, as everybody expected to be at the max, but it is well thought and quite practical. Isn't?

As for a glue, it is a typical glue applied to the connectors (as seen on the left and right of the jumper). A glue prevents plugs from getting a lose from vibrations. As for a jumper, the only reason I can imagine is that this feature was supposed to be undocumented and Kingwa has changed a mind after interraction with first users.

You should perhaps notice that jumper in my device had been glued not in a current default 'variable', but a 'fixed' position, it gives a full-feature. The first batch was probably shipped in this (glued) position.

I am really dissappointed from your attack, so I will tell a real story. Your friend from the South African forum who sold me this device didn't tell me about having problem with removing the jumper. Initially a DAC didn't sound good, so I did exchange PM and received response that there was absolutely no problems. My thread count was increased immediately in order to keep me happy, so I knew that returning goods would be difficult. I looked inside and found this botchered jumper. It became clear that after a failed attempt of removing the jumper there is no longer good contact and I have to fix these things.

After replacing jumper a DAC started to sound nice. So please do not attack Kingwa when you know your friend did something wrong. I have a very bad word to describe such behaviour.
I realise that you've been given a hard time on other forums due to the utter obtuseness of many of your posts, therefore you are obviously very sensitive.
My comment was merely a statement of fact.
I love Kingwa and what he's done for the hobby by making quality gear at affordable prices. Heck, I own one of his amp/DACs myself.

However, you cross the line by insinuating that I somehow had any knowledge that the R2R11 you purchased off a local forum had a latent defect.
And the person you bought it off is not my friend, we don't even live in the same province and I've never met him.

How you got from my glue comment to making snide and baseless accusations is the very reason your presence is irritating at best, and often downright aggravating. I too have a very bad word to describe such behaviour.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,288 of 2,569
giphy.gif

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #2,289 of 2,569
Has anyone actually thought of asking Kingwa for an idea of how to remove the glue, as in Acetone or something similar? To use this DAC at it's rather good best, you really need to be able to use ALL of the three settings; Fixed, Variable and HP. Unless you are going to use the DAC/pre into powered speakers or a power amplifier, then best signal quality comes from using the DAC with it's Fixed setting to avoid any further contacts in the signal path, my experience tells me it always makes a difference to my ears and systems.
Each to their own, of course, but it's worth trying a heat gun on lowish heat or some Acetone to get rid of that glue and be able to use the DAC/pre/amp properly.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,290 of 2,569
Second R2R11 that I've ordered, I asked Kingwa to put the jumper so that fixed is fixed and variable is variable. If you purchase a brand new unit, just ask him to do it.
Previous R2R11, I used pliers, few occasions I gave up trying but eventually it came off, have patience.

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,291 of 2,569
Each to their own, of course, but it's worth trying a heat gun on lowish heat or some Acetone to get rid of that glue and be able to use the DAC/pre/amp properly.
Be careful with heat gun. Plastic forming the frame of the socket is melting at low temperatures, it will also damage surrounding sockets. Never use chemical solvents like acetone on electronic pcboards. Heating up is a very good idea, it will make glue softer, easier to brake, you still need to use force. It was soft when new, it is just hardening over the time. Just remember, the old jumper is not good anymore (discard it) and remove residue of glue from the pins (all sides) with a flat screwdriver or workshop knife with a worn blade. A worn blade is required preserve conductive coating material on pins. A sharp knife will scratch/cut it easily.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,292 of 2,569
As far as the NFB series.... hes selling something as Balanced which is not balanced. Dual Mono IS balanced. Everyone else selling a Balanced product is selling it with 2 DAC chips running in Mono mode for a balanced output.

Is that really true? RME and Mytek balanced DACs have one AK or ESS chip as far as I know.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,294 of 2,569
No, not at all, that guy has no idea what he is talking about.

Thanks. I'm starting to see that all the posts were based on not even hearing the DAC.

I want an R2R DAC and was considering the Soekris 1421 but I didn't get a response from them after about a week and can't find a place to buy it from. So I found this thread and this looks like a good DAC for the money. Still reading.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,295 of 2,569
I wonder what Audio-GD was thinking with the fixed mode. What purpose does it serve?

That's the correct mode to have when you use an external amplifier. Variable output should be discontinued. Bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back